Popular Posts:

None found

July 12th, 2019 | EarthBound 64, Uncommon Knowledge, Videos

A video surfaced showing a tiny morsel of new footage from MOTHER 3 for the Nintendo 64 (usually referred to as EarthBound 64 outside of Japan). Most of the clips from the video have been known about since the turn of the century, but the one small part of the forest/jungle area is brand new to most fans:

This is a small snippet of a show called Game Catalogue 2 that aired in Japan in December 1996. I highly recommend watching the whole thing here, even if you don’t know Japanese. It’s chock full of cool Spaceworld ’96 stuff like hands-on play with the N64DD, the host being wowed by the rumble pak, and early development footage of a bunch of N64 games – even Shigesato Itoi’s No. 1 Bass Fishing! Lots of PlayStation games too.

The short clip above was shown a full 3 years before the fabled demo was playable at Spaceworld ’99. Really makes you think about how long MOTHER 3‘s original development took, and how much it must have hurt to cancel it.

-Poe

12 Comments to New Footage of EarthBound 64 from Spaceworld ’96

VinchVolt said on Jul. 12, 2019

Honestly, I’m glad the N64 version was cancelled; from what we know about its development, the final product would’ve been a buggy, unoptimized, and frankly ugly-looking mess. Switching to the Game Boy Advance was a boon to the game, and helped streamline it into something more cohesive (though I would’ve liked to have seen what the more intense version of Tanetane Island would’ve been like.

That said, I still have a lingering itch to see what could’ve been regarding the N64 version; I’m still clinging to my pipe dream of a beta ROM being leaked. Hey, if it happened to Pokemon Gold, it could happen to this game too.

Anonymous said on Jul. 12, 2019

This looks infinitely better than what we ultimately got on the GBA. Now I am sad.

Anonymous said on Jul. 12, 2019

hope this brings us closer to a prototype leak.

Adam said on Jul. 12, 2019

I love the look of both games. I think this would have been the best looking game on the 64, to me. It’s a too bad we can’t have both.

Rāma said on Jul. 14, 2019

Umm … I am not interested in the N64 version.
If you are a game culture researcher, I think it would be an object of interest.
If possible, Mother3 will be happy if the N switch version is released.
Because I knew this site and I knew the suffering of the people of the United States, I commented on the Twitter account of Nintendo, but there was no response at all.
Japan learns English from the age of 13, but most people can not speak because they can not learn conversation even if they learn “reading” and “writing”.
This post is also a Google translation.

Leeaux said on Jul. 19, 2019

Tomato! Oh man it’s been too long since the last post! Good to see you!

Leeaux said on Jul. 19, 2019

Whoops, my bad it was Poe! Well it’s good to see you too!

asdf said on Jul. 20, 2019

I don’t think it looks better than the GBA game we got, but I’m definitely curious how different it would’ve turned out. Supposedly EB64 was going to be much darker.

4am said on Aug. 6, 2019

Sometimes I wonder why after N64 mother 3 was permanently shelved, it ended up on GBA and not Gamecube.

4am said on Aug. 6, 2019

Dear Tomato, Why are the forums still down?

rg12 said on Sep. 8, 2019

I prefer the gba verison, everything doesn’t look good by today’s standarts. The gba’s grafhics are good, and more fitting to a MOTHER game.
That being said, I would love to see the plot, it was supposed to be much darker with 12 chapters.

rg12 said on Sep. 8, 2019