October 17th, 2018 | EarthBound 64, Interviews, Itoi, MOTHER 3, Rumors, Uncommon Knowledge

Today is the 10th anniversary of the MOTHER 3 fan translation. To commemorate, Mato wrote a huge article documenting the cycle of hope, hype, and disappointment that surrounds the demand for an official MOTHER 3 translation from Nintendo.

Some fans have been on this rollercoaster ride for 23 years and counting. For older fans, this article is a strange, funny, and heartrending trip down memory lane. For newer fans, this article sheds light on how the cycle has been happening forever.

For me, it’s weird to see things go from magazines talking about EarthBound 64’s definite upcoming release in the late 1990s, to corporate Twitter accounts begging for MOTHER 3 and signs showing up at WWE wrestling events in 2018.

Brew some tea, grab a snack, and set aside a good chunk of time to enjoy this article.

Read MOTHER 3’s Timeline of Hope.

– Poe

6 Comments to MOTHER 3’s Timeline of Hope Is a Rollercoaster Ride

im10yearsoldernow said on Oct. 17, 2018

wow, it’s been 10 years already.
A lot happened to me in those 10 years and I grew up a lot. I grew up enough to stop caring about nintendo, what they release and what they don’t. Mother 3 is a masterpiece. I’m infinitely thankful to the fans who translated it into a far more pleasant experience than nintendo would ever provide. It sucks that the game won’t enjoy the popularity it deserves, but at this point there’s not much to do.

Radic said on Oct. 17, 2018

Its so crazy that its been ten years. I remember being bewildered in 2011 that it had been three years since the translation was made. Time flies!

linkoftime200 said on Oct. 18, 2018

Man, reading this is truly crazy to me, as this all started years before I was even born.(I was born in the year 2000) that is just absolutely bonkers how things change, and how many people stick around from so long ago

Leeaux said on Oct. 19, 2018

From one of the fans who has been on the roller coaster for the 23 years with you guys,

Thanks for keeping the community alive and thriving!

-Leo

Anonymous said on Oct. 21, 2018

Well, I’ve played through my Japanese Mother 3 cart back around when it came out and I’ve played through the translation, so I’m not really all that concerned about getting an official release.

Kinda feels like at this point, unless they go above and beyond with a physical release of a Mother 123 collection, or maybe improve the kinda-iffy-GBA-sound-quality or something I’m not really gonna be thrilled with Nintendo offering something like a virtual console release. Not after so much time, so much unambiguous demand, the whole game being extremely well translated for them and offered freely for them to use.

But whatever. I’ve got the game, I’ve got the translation, It’s just a bummer Nintendo’s being annoying about it.

Esper said on Oct. 29, 2018

I will never give up hope for an official English Mother 3. My dream is for it to come in the form of a full blown remake.