August 8th, 2018 | EarthBound, Videos

EarthBound? More like NOT bound… to Earth.

14-year-old Ronnie Doyle and a group of high school kids from Earth to Sky Calculus recently launched a copy of EarthBound from California to the edge of space with a helium balloon. You can watch the game’s amazing journey in this video:

This was thanks to Ronnie’s grandfather, who made a donation to the Earth to Sky Calculus group and allowed Ronnie to send an object “smaller than a lunchbox” into space. And the game still works!

Thanks to Chris Kohler over at Kotak for breaking the news 🙂

– Poe

6 Comments to EarthBound Goes to Space

G.Wicks said on Aug. 8, 2018

Somebody has got to show Itoi this!

Leeaux said on Aug. 10, 2018

When the balloon popped and all that stuff was in space, I was like “What the heck was that!?” Naturally I was thinking, “oh snap was that an alien/ships in space!?”

Cause I’m an idiot.

game4brains said on Aug. 10, 2018

Looks like the scrapped “Space Bound” name was onto something after all!

Arturo said on Aug. 11, 2018

JeffShotFirst said on Aug. 15, 2018

YESSSSSS!

Poe said on Aug. 17, 2018

• Poe: (We were switching servers on Monday and I think a comment from this post was lost in the move. Sorry to whoever posted that lost comment!!)
  • Pierre: I’d love to see them add Porky in his Spider Mech or Heavily Armed Porky as a playable character. Just shrink him down a bit too,...
  • JeffShotFirst: YESSSSSS!
  • Leeaux: Is that a Poe I spy sneaking in a post? I’m pumped for the Ramblin Evil Mushroom! I’m always excited when they add anything...
  • Arturo: Somebody needs to add the Skyrunner theme to the video. Or the Mother title theme when it is in space.