Popular Posts:

None found

January 29th, 2016 | EarthBound

Nintendo is holding a sale on a lot of Wii U games, including EarthBound for the Virtual Console! For the next few days it’s reduced to $6.99 from its usual price of $9.99.

earthbound-wii-u-sale2

earthbound-wii-u-sale1

I don’t play my Wii U very much so I don’t know if it’s possible to gift games to friends. But if you can, this could be a good time to do it. If not, then it’s still a good time to buy the game if you haven’t already 😎

12 Comments to EarthBound on Wii U is $6.99 for a Limited Time

Leeaux said on Jan. 29, 2016

If I didn’t already own it, I’d buy it again!

DJMankiewitz said on Jan. 30, 2016

Sadly, the Wii U/3DS online store lacks any sort of gift giving capability. This is especially frustrating considering the original Wii had this feature.

Sadly though, the Wii was the only console store that had this option. Neither Sony or Microsoft have seen fit to bother including such an option in their stores. It’s very frustrating. As of right now, the only online digital game stores of any real importance that allow giving are the Steam store and the GOG store.

Can anyone with experience in marketing suggest a reason why such a feature seems to be entirely ignored by the console makers? By my reckoning, it seems like they’re missing out on a lot of potential sales of various games from those that already own it to their friends. I know all 3 console makers still sell their various gift cards at stores, so maybe that’s got something to do with it? Still, I would rather give someone money than a gift card (as I’d rather receive money than a gift card), and there’s really no way to actually give any SPECIFIC item to someone.

Hmm, maybe it has to do with establishing that every game purchase maps out perfectly to someone who actually wants the game? A whole lot of gift purchasing might muddy their ability to determine how popular a game REALLY is vs how many people just got a game as a gift they probably never wanted and won’t even touch.

ness super said on Jan. 30, 2016

Is awesome 😀

JB2448 said on Jan. 30, 2016

Actually, you can gift someone else the game through Nintendo.com: https://checkout.nintendo.com/#/item/WUPNJBBE/billing
Whether you check out with or without logging in, you can give the code to anyone who has a Wii U and who doesn’t have the game.

mccart said on Jan. 30, 2016

hi

Justin said on Jan. 31, 2016

Mato seems to mention how little he likes or plays the Wii U in every single post that involves the Wii U.

Mato said on Jan. 31, 2016

Usually just because I want to explain that I don’t know the full picture and am hoping others can offer extra insight.

Magstriker said on Jan. 31, 2016

What about Earthbound makes it take up 72.4 Megabytes of space? is the emulator built in or something? Even still, did they reprogram the whole game from scratch and use, like, uncompressed PNG sprites? Why is the file size so big!

Justin said on Feb. 1, 2016

Magstriker: Virtual Console games come with the emulators built in like a wrapper for every file. But the big answer is that for whatever reason, the Wii U downloads games at sizes quite a lot larger than they are after installation.

Mato said on Feb. 1, 2016

Dunno if it’s related, but the PK Hack guys managed to get the Mother 2 ROM out of the Japanese version of Smash Bros. Brawl (since it was one of the Masterpieces) and apparently it was modified to not play music properly, and then it came with a bunch of raw external audio files that would be played instead:

My guess is that many VC games are like this, to get a true authentic audio experience or something, since audio emulation can be pretty tough to nail down 100%.

Dean said on Feb. 4, 2016

Apparently a rumor is going around that Mother 3 will finally come to America.

MightyYT said on Feb. 4, 2016

And EarthBound fans collectively say, “We’ve heard this one before…”

But hopefully, finally, there’s some truth to this one!