September 4th, 2015 | EarthBound, Hacking

A few years back I wanted to learn the C# language and how to make Windows programs. So I taught myself by making a program that randomizes a lot of the elements in EarthBound to create the EarthBound Reshuffler!

Since then, many other programmers have wanted to know how the reshuffler works. I’ve received many requests for the source code, but I could never find the latest version. Until now!

So if you’d like to take a peek under the hood and see how everything is duct-taped together, here you go:

An EarthBound fan named Rydel recently used my source code of an earlier, outdated Reshuffler build to make a new, customized version – you can find out more about it here. It has some features that my latest release doesn’t have, like randomized shops, randomized map palettes, and more. Check it out!

And if you happen to use my source code for your own project, let me know if you create anything cool! I’d like to see how my wacky program evolves in the hands of others 😛

9 Comments to EarthBound Reshuffler Source Code Released

Fred Bounder said on Sep. 4, 2015

Nice

David said on Sep. 4, 2015

Cool! You should put it up on Github!

Mato said on Sep. 4, 2015

I planned to but at this point I just wanted to get it out there ASAP. Maybe I’ll put it up later when things are a little saner for me.

DFA said on Sep. 4, 2015

Cool, thanks man. Good looking out =]

Banana Kid said on Sep. 5, 2015

Hm, may I ask if this is in anyway compatible with Coilsnake? Could it be used on per-assembled hacks, or just with the vanilla EB ROM? The idea of an EarthBound Roguelike seems very possible with this.

StallmanTheStarman said on Sep. 6, 2015

That’s great Mato, make sure to choose a proper license.

I suggest GPLv3.

Mato said on Sep. 6, 2015

Banana Kid: it expects all the data to be in certain locations, so I assume it’s not necessarily compatible with tools that relocate things.

Banana Kid said on Sep. 7, 2015

Darn. Thank you for answering.

GhostSonic said on Sep. 12, 2015

Having a proper license attached would be nice, though. It’s nice to have a proper, unambiguous document about what permissions you’re giving me to use your code. choosealicense.com has some decent explanation on the different Open-Source licenses.

• Parzival: Probably my favorite band there is, to be honest. Great people, great music. The album is stellar. Definitely would recommend it.
  • Leeaux: I love these guys! At E3 last year they were playing, asking for requests. I didn’t know what they played so I just shouted out...
  • Alex Foffano: Wow, very good!
  • KingMike: You can run, but the reason for Teleport Beta is because with Alpha you are running at such a high speed that doing it, without touching...
  • DJMankiewicz: So I can like “tilt” my run up and down when teleporting left and right? I’ll have to try that!