Popular Posts:

None found

July 15th, 2015 | MOTHER 3

In just the span of a few days, two separate Italian fan translations of MOTHER 3 have been released.

The first translation was headed by Snifit, and you can find more info, download information, and such here.

Here are screenshots of Snifit’s project in action:

mother3ita_02 test_09
mother3ita_04 test_10
test_11 mother3ita_03

Next is a translation by lorenzooone. You can read more about it and download the files here.

Here are screenshots of lorenzooone’s translation in action:

Catturamogba1

Catturasgba

Since I don’t know Italian I can’t really recommend one over the other from screenshots alone. In any case, if you know Italian or are learning Italian and would like to play MOTHER 3, now you have some options to choose from!

24 Comments to Two Italian MOTHER 3 Fan Translations Released

gBev said on Jul. 15, 2015

I don’t know the first thing about Italian, but the bottom one seems possibly iffy because the second line of text in the first screenshot is offset a bit to the left… Minor to be sure, but since it’s one of the first lines in the game it doesn’t bode well. Not to mention the weird stretched images.

CRefice said on Jul. 16, 2015

Being Italian, I recommend Snifit’s translation, since lorenzoone’s version is plagued by translation errors and a few bugs.

Lorenzooone said on Jul. 16, 2015

Honestly, I don’t have so many bugs as the snifit version does… send me an image of his Sound Player Menù working after you’ve saved, he didn’t translate all the graphics as I did and we share the other bugs I have are shared between the versions.

The screenshots are old, the HP/PP bar is now PV/PP and that line has been fixed, gBev

Lorenzooone said on Jul. 16, 2015

Ops, typo: and we share the other bugs I have.

CRefice said on Jul. 16, 2015

I know some of his stuff is not translated, but honestly, in terms of just pure translation quality, Snifit’s one is just better. The text flows really nicely. That’s just my opinion, though

Lorenzooone said on Jul. 16, 2015

Yes, but mine isn’t bugged, it’s the opposite, and I have already in plan a 1.1 patch to fix the lines of text

snifit said on Jul. 16, 2015

Please, everyone, let’s not fight about whose translation is better. I’m sure mine has weak points compared to lorenzooone’s, and vice versa.
Let people choose freely between the two patches. As long as MOTHER 3 becomes more popular among the Italian gaming community than before, I’m happy.

However, it’s good that the fact these two projects are separated is clear; it’d be embarassing and confusing if someone experiencing trouble with my translation started bothering lorenzooone reporting mistakes or bugs that don’t exist in his.

Lorenzooone said on Jul. 16, 2015

Thanks snifit.
I’ve questioned Jeffman for a bug that both of us share, I’ll report you his answer (A strange framerate drop that occurs on certain items in various menus).

Matt said on Jul. 16, 2015

Great job, both of you! You should team up and combine the best elements of both translations!

Mother2fan said on Jul. 16, 2015

Well, it’s always great to see MOTHER 3 in another language! Expand the global fanbase!!

GSUser said on Jul. 16, 2015

Wish Mother 3, Or ANY Game In The Series Would Get Arabic Translation One Day…
But The Problems Are:
1- There’s Very Few Arabic-Speaking Fans Of The Series, As The Series Is Unpopular In The WHOLE Middle East.
2- Arabic Is SO HARD!!! Just Take A Look:
“Blindness” In Arabic: عمى
“My Uncle” In Arabic: عمي
SO Close, 100% Different Meaning
Not Just That, But See What Happens When You Put Spaces Between Each Letter.

GSUser said on Jul. 16, 2015

2.5- Unlike English And Other Languages That Uses Latin As A Writing System, Arabic Is Written From RIGHT TO LEFT. It Would Be So Hard Translating From Right To Left.
God, Even Japanese Is Written From Left To Right.

CRefice said on Jul. 16, 2015

I don’t think that was ‘fighting’. I just expressed my personal opinion. I know firsthand how tough translating is, and I wasn’t trying to detract from lorenzoone’s translation.

Justin said on Jul. 16, 2015

How on earth did two of these come out at the same time but they’re completely unrelated? Seems like a lot of duplication of effort when people are only going to play one or the other.

Mato said on Jul. 16, 2015

It’s actually very common in the ROM translation scene. It’s happened to me a few times too. Usually it happens when a team is doing their own thing but don’t want all their hard work to go to waste when they see a separate project making progress, so they speed up their work. Sometimes the other team will respond similarly.

Scotty said on Jul. 17, 2015

@Lorenzooone, I’m not completely sure but I think that the frame rate issue just happens in emulators.
I’m playing on real hardware and I didn’t noticed any issue.

Lorenzooone said on Jul. 17, 2015

@Scotty test it by looking in your invenotry at a “Bomba Scattante”.
If you’re right, then it’s a great news for both me and he.

snifit said on Jul. 17, 2015

@CRefice: Sorry, my bad. I perceived the discussion as tense.

@Justin: As Mato said, it happens often. This is how many people worked on Tales of Phantasia: http://www.romhacking.net/?page=translations&genre=&platform=&status=&languageid=12&perpage=20&title=tales+of+phantasia&author=&transsearch=Go
Given the amount of stuff that’s left to personal taste, it would be incredibly difficult to merge two complete projects as Matt suggested. Also, it’s hard to explain, but with Italian the matter is further complicated. Our language is more sensitive to the order of the words in a sentence, and offers a wider variety of synonyms than English.
Some projects involve major hacking choices differences, like ToS. If you look at the screenshots of the different translations, they use different fonts. However, this is not our case. 😛

Lorenzooone said on Jul. 17, 2015

For example, I’ve translated PK in Psico, ad the ssb4 description of the custom moves suggested, in his version, he mantained PK, I’ve translated Nowher Islands in Isole Altrove (For SSB4 they are Isole Nessun Luogo), while he didn’t translated them, there are a lot of personal choices that changes the translations and this can be a good or a bad thing based on who’s playing it… Degustibus.

joe said on Jul. 17, 2015

Well, now at least Nintendo’s flagship characters [Mario and Luigi] can play Mother 3.

Scotty said on Jul. 18, 2015

Confirmed, the item slowdown bug doesn’t occur on the real hardware 🙂

Lorenzooone said on Jul. 19, 2015

Thanks a lot, I was panicking. XD

DalisClock said on Jul. 29, 2015

Finally, my time in an orchestra comes to use, when I can finally learn Italian, as my conductor once said,
“every single thing in Italian means simply; ‘look at the conductor'”.

Traiver said on Jul. 31, 2015

@GSUser I’m actually planning for an Arabic translation for Mother 3, I even prepared a Mr. Saturn font (but I’m still trying to nail the perfect regular font that fits in 12px yet still looks like the original fonts).

As for what you pointed out, the solution would be implementing diactrics so that the vowels are explicit and it’s no longer as ambiguous. The trick being showing them besides the character rather than on top of it.

Thing is, I’ll need to learn some ARM assembly so that I invert where the text appears (right-to-left) *and* how the numbers and item name variables appear in the text. And probably the grey box for the NPC names. And last but not least, conjugation rules for battle text (since natural-sounding gender-neutral language doesn’t exist).

But I’m already invested atm in a Chrono Trigger translation (sadly handling both hacking and translation), so this one might wait a bit. I already got the M3 inventory started, at least.