July 1st, 2015 | MOTHER 1, Videos

You might’ve seen the English-language promo video for EarthBound Beginnings already, but if you haven’t, here it is:

And here’s a look at the Japanese promo video, which I’d never seen before until now:

Which one do you like better?

Thanks to Speedy_Fox_IV for letting me know about the Japanese video!

15 Comments to Japanese Wii U MOTHER Promo Video

Leeaux said on Jul. 1, 2015

I actually preferred the English trailer.

Anonymous said on Jul. 1, 2015

I am ashamed to agree that the English one is better made, but the scene where it flashes Ninten’s clay model is a bit off.

Alex said on Jul. 1, 2015

I liked both the same.

KaisaJesta said on Jul. 1, 2015

I prefer the English trailer, much like how I prefer the English version in terms of changes, mostly about the ending. Given that the English ending is on the GBA version I’m hoping its fully canon in Itoi’s mind. Still, it would be interesting at one point to discuss with Itoi the fairly bare ending of MOTHER and whether he had any input in the English ending or approved it. Mato, is there any material on that?

Star and Moon said on Jul. 1, 2015

I like the English trailer better because it shows better scenes from the game, and does a good job of not spoiling things.

Mato said on Jul. 1, 2015

KaisaJesta: I’ve always been curious too, but I’ve never heard or read anything on the subject.

Halloween said on Jul. 1, 2015

English trailer is awesome!

Antiaverage said on Jul. 2, 2015

I much prefer the song selection for the Japanese trailer 😉

Anonymous said on Jul. 3, 2015

The only thing that really was a mess up on the US version (not counting the censorship) was the change they did to the Magicant cave. In their attempt to streamline, they actually ended up making it more tedious

Anonymous said on Jul. 3, 2015

Does the Japanese re-release include the “run” button, extra ending, and dungeon changes?

Mato said on Jul. 3, 2015

We’ve been playing the Japanese re-release on EB Central Live the past two weeks. There is no run button, don’t know about the ending, and we’ll encounter the dungeon in question next week.

It basically seems to be the Famicom version with a few text and graphical changes so far for legal/standards reasons.

DJMankiewitz said on Jul. 5, 2015

The Japanese game was treated just like any other VC release (which makes sense, because for them, it was). Our’s was clearly treated like something a bit more special, which makes sense because for us, it was.

KingMike said on Jul. 5, 2015

Still treated a bit different in that even Japan did not get Mother 1 on 3DS VC. (though 3DS VC seems to have been kind of dead in all regions lately, but even more in Japan, who had only gotten Pokemon Card Game within the last year)

DJMankiewitz said on Jul. 6, 2015

Legal? Not sure I understand. Is the game ratings board in Japan actually a government institution? I know here the ESRB is basically just an industry group with no actual enforcement powers, hence why unrated games are released all the time (though console makers are free to refuse to license games without an ESRB rating, and that’s usually what they do).

Mato said on Jul. 6, 2015

I mentioned “legal” as some of the changes were probably suggested by lawyers, such as removing the names of other companies’ products.