July 21st, 2015 | EarthBound, Events, Videos

Yesterday was Monday, which meant a new edition of EarthBound Central Live!

Unlike previous episodes, this one was entirely focused on last weekend’s Camp Fangamer event. We summarize what the event was and explain it from our own perspective. We share inside, behind-the-scenes info, including pics and videos! It was a once-in-a-lifetime event, so if you missed the full event, you’ll probably enjoy this episode! …Even if it’s mostly just a random slideshow with voices over it 😛

Thanks to everyone who came by and chatted with me (and one memorable fan who taught me everything about Donkey Kong Country)! I’ll have a better wrap-up post later on, but for now here are links, pics, and videos that you CAN’T miss!

Shigesato Itoi’s keynote address:

Final Battle Montage

The Audience Fights the Kraken!
CKX1JZ1UcAAPsO8

MOTHER 3 Fan Translation Team Panel!
CKTzrAYUcAADsMz

Playing a Previously-Unknown EB0 Proto Cart!
IMG_4793-RESIZED

Day 2 video archives:

If you missed out on last night’s stream but would like to be at future ones, here are some links that’ll send you in the right direction!

Next week should hopefully return to the standard EarthBound Central Live format, so be there or don’t go to heaven!

CKZkNCjUsAAP06X

12 Comments to EarthBound Central Live: July 20, 2015

StarmanAlex said on Jul. 21, 2015

I would SO come to a Camp Fangamer at the Convention Center of Orlando, FL. It just makes more sense. Plus, more people would come because it’s where everyone goes during the Summer(s). It would be hella cheaper, too!
More money.

lex_21 said on Jul. 21, 2015

Watched some of the stream, and was really impressed by the incredible music played by the Super Soul Bros.! I wonder if they were able to get high-quality recordings of the tracks they played. Hopefully they could release it as an album in the future!

Mato, do you know the name of the song that was being played at around the 2 Hrs: 55 Min mark on the Day 2: Part 2 stream? I’m not particularly good at identifying music, but that performance seemed incredibly fitting for a closing track, and I’m curious as to whether it was an original piece or based off of an existing melody.

Thanks for everything!

Mato said on Jul. 22, 2015

Totally – I’m always glad when I get to hear the Super Soul Bros. live, so I’m happy that this has helped spread the word about them!

They were actually selling a few different albums and merch in the ballroom there, but you can also check out there stuff here: http://www.supersoulbros.com/

The song you’re asking about is actually on their Live at San Pedro Sq. album, it’s Bonus Track 1, called “Your Name Please”. It’s the song that plays when you’re naming your characters in EarthBound.

I don’t know if they’ve done any actual studio recordings, though.

Ryan said on Jul. 22, 2015

I watched the entire first day stream over the last two evenings, and I’m halfway through the second day now.

I don’t even know how to put into words just how awesome this whole thing was. The band was amazing, the show and side-stories, hosting, acting etc. was exceptionally entertaining. Time after time I saw stuff that made me stop and just try to imagine the amount of work that must have gone into all this; I think it was genuinely mind-blowing and a testament to the eb community.

On the band, I’d love to hear a studio recorded release from the SSBs and I’m sure I’m not the only one; I get that a lot of their ‘soul’ also comes from the live performance, but I wonder if they’d consider a Kickstarter to raise $$ for some professional recordings?

Finally, now almost completely off the topic but since I am here and was compelled to contribute by the awesomeness of the fangamer event, I should express my appreciation for your work Mato. I was a religious/obsessive follower of mother3.fobby.net over the time you spent working on the patch; and of course enjoyed it once released. These days, while less obsessive, I always make it back to earthboundcentral every now and then. I know this is nothing you haven’t heard before, but I want to say it is clear that your selfless contributions to the Earthbound scene have been a defining contribution towards what it is today, and for that I am very grateful. There’s still plenty of time, but already you have left a mark and it is a good one. Thank you.

Ryan said on Jul. 22, 2015

Btw, who played Pokey? Everyone was great but I thought the Pokey character was particularly tough and particularly well delivered.

Bionicfemme said on Jul. 22, 2015

I’m gonna watch all of the streams over again and pretend I’ve gone back into a time machine to re-live the glory of this convention!

Mato said on Jul. 22, 2015

Ryan: Thanks for the kind words! I always feel embarrassed when people say stuff like that to me 😛

As for Pokey, here’s his Twitter! Everyone go follow him!

Nate1312 said on Jul. 23, 2015

I got to attend the Camp, and all I can say is that you all did a fantastic job making it a truly one-of-a-kind experience.

It was fun listening to you talk about the history of the Mother series and the different aspects of translating Mother 3 (BTW- HUGE thank you for that. What an amazing gift you gave the Mother community)

Thanks for signing my book and letting me sign yours.

A fan for life

Nate1312

Ness' Dad said on Jul. 23, 2015

Thanks for signing Ness’ hat!

New Pork City in Angry Birds 2 said on Jul. 30, 2015

I got Angry Birds 2, and New Pork City makes a special appearance as a level pack!

Kevin Claus said on Jul. 30, 2015

Hah nice! I got a mention on the show!

The story is more or less true. I wanted to attend the entire weekend, then I was asked to be a groomsman in a friend’s wedding that Saturday. I was going back and forth if going just for Sunday was worth it, but finally pulled the trigger Friday afternoon and bought a red eye flight from Seattle for Sunday morning and made it to Camp Fangamer around noon. SO WORTH IT. I had a blast. Truly a once in a lifetime experience. Shout out to Vid, JSpade and Mookie for hanging with me most of the day and letting me crash on their hotel floor!

Arthur said on Aug. 1, 2015