June 4th, 2015 | EarthBound, Events, Polls

The upcoming Camp Fangamer event is scheduled to host a lot of different panels held by fellow fans, and TragicManner has been working on one about EarthBound fan demographics, inside and outside of North America:

Hey Tomato,

I’ve been running a survey to find out how people around the world found out about EarthBound and what their experience was like. I know that people all over the world look to your site for news and was wondering if you could post about the survey so I can get more responses to help strengthen the data.

Anyone can take it, even people in the US and Japan, especially because I’d love to compare data and simply get a glimpse into as many different areas as possible.

You can help by taking this quick survey:

This survey might uncover some neat info – I look forward to seeing the panel!

7 Comments to Help with Some EarthBound Research!

TragicManner said on Jun. 4, 2015

Thanks Tomato! I’m really excited about the results I get from this. I’m hoping to find ways to get a little more data in Europe, and quite a bit more out of Asia.

I know there is a fan cafe site for the mother series in Korea (http://cafe.naver.com/nmfxds) but I have no idea how to reach out to the people involved. Hopefully I’ll be able to fill in the gaps during June!

refat17 said on Jun. 4, 2015

I only really got confused in the “did you play the game on a console?” Technically yes because I used my Wii to play it. No, because well I was using an emulator. I just answered no.

DJMankiewitz said on Jun. 4, 2015

It was certainly interesting, though you might save a bit of time by removing the “is there a fan site in your language” for anyone that picks English and America, considering that the answer are all just going to refer right back to this site :D.

I would add a question about age groups. My prediction is that there’s going to be a lot of clustering in the “where did you first hear about it” section, and that older players by and large will report having heart about it in Nintendo Power, and younger report having heard about it in Smash Bros.

yui said on Jun. 5, 2015

I wanted to post my feedback for the survey itself here.

“It’s okay. I’d include more homebrew options. Add how many times you’ve played and on how many different systems. No inclusion of GBA, NDS(homebrew) or Wii(homebrew), Game Boy Player (gamecube). I’ve played Earthbound, Zero, and M3 on all of these. GB Player should be included especially because it’s advertised in game Mother 3. Good luck! ”

Just in case someone will see it here instead.

Franklin Badger said on Jun. 5, 2015

I would include a section about fan merchandise and how many people own X amount of EarthBound related items.

chii said on Jun. 5, 2015

@TragicManner Excellent survey idea!! Also, I have a friend who speaks Korean, so I’ll talk to her about maybe helping with a brief translation so we can get a post at the fan cafe, if you’d like?

TragicManner said on Jun. 9, 2015

@refat17 – The reason I didn’t include Wii is because I really only wanted to know about official releases people had played for the one question. I suppose I could have made that more clear

@DJMankiewitz – I didn’t remove that for people in North America and other English speaking areas because I wanted responses! More data there is okay.

@yui – GBA is a good point, and I probably should have included that. But homebrew solutions to play EarthBound (such as on the Wii) I didn’t really want to know about for that question. I wanted to see what legitimate releases people were playing on Consoles. The data has worked out well for that question, so I’m not disappointed with the results, it has told me what I wanted to know.

@Franklin Badger – Interesting thought, but not really the focus of this study.

@Chii – That would be great! Sorry I took so long to come back here and look, but yeah, I’d love that.