June 23rd, 2015 | MOTHER 1

I shared this on last night’s Earthbound Central Live stream, but here it is again: EarthBound Beginnings has reached #1 on the Wii U’s recent sales rankings!

us wii u sales charts earthbound beginnings

It almost feels surreal to see a two decade-old, previously-unreleased NES game dethroning a completely brand-new Nintendo IP. Is this real life?

The above picture is from the North American Wii U sales charts, but EarthBound Beginnings is also #1 elsewhere, including the EU Wii U sales charts:

earthbound wii u sales ranking uk

Pretty cool stuff!

For those who are curious, here’s a look at the Japanese Wii U charts right now too:

japanese wii u sales charts earthbound beginnings

Thanks to everyone who’s shared this info with me or elsewhere online, and thanks to Sam for sending me the EU photo!

18 Comments to EarthBound Beginnings Rules Multiple Wii U Sales Charts

Anonymous said on Jun. 23, 2015

Currently the UK it’s still #2 to Splatoon, but I’ll check it again later. I do like how it’s gotten so popular.

Leeaux said on Jun. 23, 2015

Are you listening Nintendo?!

::Hollers!::

Pally said on Jun. 23, 2015

Maybe this will get them to add Mother 3 to the service eventually. One can only hope…

Miles Vialpando said on Jun. 23, 2015

Hope you are seeing this Nintendo lol

yeahman said on Jun. 23, 2015

Ma ma 3

Someone Else said on Jun. 24, 2015

I don’t think the shop takes into account disc versions of games – I would imagine more people own Splatoon overall than own Earthbound Beginnings if you include people with the physical disc. But still, Earthbound BEginnings overtaking the digital version of Splatoon is pretty cool as well!
Just in case people haven’t played it yet, Splatoon is legit good.

Gaffer Tape said on Jun. 24, 2015

Just proving what we’ve known all along: that the Mother series would do very well if given a chance in America!

Tonda Gossa said on Jun. 24, 2015

Operation EarthBound Forever(2016) is it MOTHER 3 GBA VC?

Saturn_BOING said on Jun. 24, 2015

MOTHER 3 officially in the pipeline now, hopefully. I think the public has proven themselves at every opportunity provided by Nintendo.

DJMankiewitz said on Jun. 24, 2015

Everyone’s forgetting one very important difference. The NES game is $7. It’s still heartening to see it succeed so well though.

I keep hearing people call Splatoon the “first new IP in over a decade”. I’m… pretty sure there’s a selective memory going on there. I’ve got Steel Diver, Harmoknight, the Pushmo series, the Dillon western series, and a number I’m sure I forgot. I may be willing to concede that Splatoon is the first console-exclusive IP in a long time, but well, I love my 3DS.

Hmm, actually I’m curious about when they’ll bring Earthbound Beginnings (Imma calling it EBB for short, I like the flow of it) to 3DS. Their emulator ought to handle it just fine. No big rush on that one (I treat this most recent development like a priceless fabrige egg, any criticism might break it), but it’d be nice.

Anonymous said on Jun. 24, 2015

Yeah, you are right and I agree. Those are IPs, but not on home consoles. Semantics are apparently for stupid people. Splatoon is fine…wondering when Mario paint ball will come out?

Paula Polestar said on Jun. 24, 2015

2016 10th anniversary of MOTHER 3

Mattiac said on Jun. 25, 2015

I would buy it if I owned a Wii U.

DJMankiewitz said on Jun. 25, 2015

Well, what do you think should be buying? I’m waiting! *taps foot*

joe said on Jun. 26, 2015

I think the reason it’s #2 in Japan is because it was never released outside Japan, and so many people in Japan probably still have copies of MOTHER, so they can play it like they used to without Wii U.

Gamerz31w said on Jun. 27, 2015

EarthBound 2 hack the boundening is just a scam.

Dr.Saturn said on Jul. 1, 2015