Popular Posts:

None found

May 11th, 2015 | Audio Stuff, EarthBound, Videos

By now, most EarthBound fans know of the many instances of references, samples, and inspirations that EarthBound’s musicians used to create the game’s music. I still receive a lot of new findings from fans, and here’s a recent one from Andy D.:

Hi Tomato,

Recently I came across an old Our Gang short on TV and found what I’m pretty confident is the origin of the EB store theme. The short is called “Love My Dog”. I’ve uploaded the relevant portion to Youtube- here is the link:

I noticed another cool little sound thing from the Onett arcade theme, where one of the sound effects is taken from the Nintendo arcade game sheriff. I’ve got links up in this reddit post I made a few days ago.

That’s all – just thought you’d be interested in this! Love your site, especially the sound/music portion. Keep up the good work!

When it comes to these music references/inspirations, I’m usually pretty skeptical, but there are some absolutely clear similarities this time around. There’s even a little dog! I’m not much of a musician, though, so if you have any insight, please share in the comments!

8 Comments to More Possible Inspirations for EarthBound’s Music

Ailure said on May. 11, 2015

The similar naming is probably pretty much proof enough for me, assuming humoresque little dog is the offical title of the song.

Erwin said on May. 11, 2015

Given the game samples the Little Rascals theme, it’s possible. What’s also possible is that this particular restoration is using a modern score (listen to that quality) and the person accompanying it was merely quoting music of the era, specifically The Dallas Rag: http://youtu.be/g8wz6vUzkHU

TheConfuZzledDude said on May. 11, 2015

They’re literally the same song! The name just makes it even more obvious.

Saturnome said on May. 11, 2015

I’ll join what Erwin says, this is obviously a recent score, done after the release of the game. Since it’s a silent film, it no doubt needed a new score after restauration.

Jason said on May. 11, 2015

I’m not 100% sure but I think this is a folk/traditional song. I think many Americans would find it vaguely familiar but wouldn’t explicitly know it.

There shouldn’t be any question that this is the song, but for me it’s interesting to learn its name and hear other versions of it.

Jared said on May. 13, 2015

Erwin is right. The song in this video is a guitar version of an old country dance song called the ‘Dallas Rag’.
A folk musician named Stefan Grossman composed an amazing guitar version of this old ragtime song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMICKJQMldA
‘Buy Something’ Will Ya?’ is the name of the shop song in EB, and it bears a striking similarity to the ‘Dallas Rag’, but the way Grossman plays it is much more complex and impressive than what the 16-bit game can produce.

Nonetheless, ‘Buy Something’ Will Ya?’ is the ringtone on my phone. Gets stuck in my head..

douglas said on May. 13, 2015

That’s still just Dallas Rag.

Hero said on May. 14, 2015

Well that puppet’s not nightmare fuel at all!