Random Post:

FATHER 2 and Mr. Pluto

Popular Posts:

None found

May 15th, 2015 | EarthBound, Uncommon Knowledge

I’ve pointed out a number of typos and such in the official release of EarthBound, such as the infamous unverse. But there was a much harder-to-find typo in the game all this time that I never knew about until recently.

If you visit Milky Well with a party member who’s diamondized (and/or possibly just dead), the following message will pop up:

earthbound055

The power of Milkey Well flowed into ____.
____ was revived.

I don’t think I ever noticed this before, even though I’m sure I’ve gotten diamondized a few times by Trillionage Sprout just before reaching this sanctuary spot. In fact, a lot of people have probably never seen this, so the next time you play, check it out! Do an Any% Typo Run!

Actually, while I was prepping to get the above screenshot, I ran into another weird little text oddity – when I tried to use the Bad Key Machine in battle it wouldn’t print the text on a new line. I’m not sure if it’s just the key machine or if it does that for every unusable item, but that was new to me too!

earthbound049

I made plenty of typos in my own MOTHER 3 translation, so I’m no one to point fingers at anyone on EarthBound’s quality control team. I’ve found that usually it’s the difficult-to-find, is-this-line-even-in-the-game lines that harbor pesky typos 😛

thisdoors

8 Comments to A Sneaky Typo in EarthBound’s Text

Zaxtur said on May. 15, 2015

I remember encountering a typo in EarthBound. I don’t recall the exact line, but basically all that happened was there were 2 spaces between words where there should have only been 1 space. So it read like “All of the Tendas” when it should have simply read “All of the Tendas” Basically somebody accidentally hit the space bar twice.

Zaxtur said on May. 15, 2015

Apparently the comments section corrects double spaces in my posts, so my previous comment isn’t as clear. Sorry about that.

It read like “All of the[space][space]Tendas” when it should have simply read “All of the[space]Tendas”

Kyosuke said on May. 16, 2015

Sneaky! But yeah, I very often come across Japanese typos when translating and I report them.

dick said on May. 16, 2015

am i blind? i don’t recognize a typo in there at all

Gaffer Tape said on May. 16, 2015

The line misspells “Milky” as “Milkey.”

Espyo said on May. 18, 2015

And then to top it all off, you have a typo in your own post!
>It’s common to see typos in Japanese-to-English localizations, but sometimes Japanese games have typos of their own. even I posted a few examples on Legends of Localization a while back!
>own. even

Noodle said on May. 22, 2015

There’s also typos in the final boss fight. “Paula prayed from bottom of your heart” is missing an extra “the.”

hunterc said on May. 23, 2015

I just discovered an extra one–if you enter the Monkeys’ Maze when you first visit Dusty Dunes Desert, a monkey misspells ‘meditation’ as ‘meditaion’.