March 2nd, 2015 | EarthBound, Hacking, Merchandise

A very common question I’ve had over the last year or two – especially within the last few months – is, “I’ve found this version of EarthBound called ‘EarthBound Uncut’ on eBay. Is it an official release? What’s the deal?

It’s true – EarthBound Uncut cartridges have suddenly sprung up everywhere and in a bunch of different forms! Here’s a look at a few:

earthbound uncut 5

earthbound uncut 1

earthbound uncut 8

earthbound uncut 4

earthbound uncut 3

earthbound uncut 2

earthbound uncut 0

earthbound uncut 6

earthbound uncut 7

As you can probably guess, these aren’t official cartridges – they’re bootleg reproduction cartridges. It’s common for repro cart makers to take others’ ROM hacks and put them onto cartridges, which is what’s happened here.

As far as I can tell, EarthBound Uncut is based on this old EarthBound ROM hack that a fan made based on my EarthBound localization comparison. I’m not even sure my comparison was complete back then, so I don’t even know how “complete” this uncut patch is. There are LOTS of hacks that are meant to uncensor EarthBound, though, so I might be wrong. If anyone has more info, let me know.

Anyway, for those who are curious or who might ask in the future, hopefully this info will help!

22 Comments to The EarthBound Uncut Cartridge

starmen.net said on Mar. 2, 2015

kevin please unban me i would like to make team to EarthBound 64 restoration for PC?do you really think i’m fake ip inside internet?you will be proud of me,please.

The Man With No Name said on Mar. 2, 2015

I like how the last one says “liscened by Nintendo” like THAT copy is the only offical one lol

Fun Observation said on Mar. 2, 2015

I like how the first cartridge has a KA rating on it while the last one has an M one.

Anonymous said on Mar. 2, 2015

Something about the last one makes me think it’s not the Earthbound > Mother 2 patch, because even without censoring Earthbound shouldn’t be rated M.

Nathan said on Mar. 2, 2015

It looks like these are actually selling for higher than the real things right now. What’s that about?

socksmusicalcat said on Mar. 2, 2015

Wouldn’t these encounter the pirate detection issues, or did the ‘uncut’ romhack fix that?

Neo said on Mar. 2, 2015

Those guys have no shame? Selling repro cartridges based in a old romhack?

Max said on Mar. 2, 2015

I also remember seeing a few repros on Mother 25th Anniversary Edition.

FlyingManCourage said on Mar. 2, 2015

Honestly, I’m not really against reproductions, as long as they are honestly represented as such. I know some people don’t like them for various reasons, but that’s not really for me to decide. I’ll let more intelligent minds have that debate.

I have to confess about these reproductions. A couple of them catch my eye. I really like that bottom one for a design piece. I guess if you can look at these in simple terms of new and different artwork, then they are pretty enjoyable.

Nicho-Mania said on Mar. 2, 2015

The one thing I know is that these rom-production sellers must be really good at ips-patching, as I’ve tried day and night to put every single* Earthbound uncensored patch onto a rom to no avail, using every single* program available. The darn thing just gives me a black screen saying “Sorry Jimbo McGee, but you can’t have your Earthbound uncut, that’s just life.”
– Any help would be amazing

*Hyperbole? …I guess it wasn’t a metaphor…

Billy said on Mar. 3, 2015

The only good part of this is that it cuts down on the amount of forgeries being passed off as the real thing.

Anonymous said on Mar. 3, 2015

Is it possible to put Mother 3 on SNES cartridge?

joeymartin64 said on Mar. 3, 2015

Love the one with Brawl artwork on it. Nothing says “swear-to-God official version of a game from the mid 90s” quite like artwork from the late aughts.

RudyC3 said on Mar. 3, 2015

It’s even written “REPRODUCTION” in full capitals on one of the picture examples above. How can people think it’s legit :P?

eb64 said on Mar. 3, 2015

is it possible to put mother 3 gba on n64 cartridge again?

Zaxtur said on Mar. 3, 2015

That’s my hack! LOL. So funny. It’s been so long since I’ve touched it, I wouldn’t even know where to begin if I went back to update it. I remember the hardest part was to get “PSI (Favorite thing)” changed to “PK (Favorite thing)” I was so excited when I got it to work correctly.

An E and two 8 said on Mar. 3, 2015

I gotta say, that artwork with the lined up Starmen looks pretty cool.

tintinophile691 said on Mar. 6, 2015

Man, it’s been a while since I posted here. This is the first of two patches I have used which attempts to restore censored and mistranslated content. The other one is here, for the sake of open discussion. It appears to take a different approach and seems to be based on a more recent version of Tomato’s comparison.

An E and two 8 said on Mar. 6, 2015

Here’s another “Uncut” hack that is very complete:

I personally recommend this one.

joe said on Mar. 15, 2015

I want one of these uncut ROMs on the internet so we can see this bootleg crap because I love crap and this would be intruguing.

poolin said on Jun. 14, 2015

tell me howe to tell

hcgamer said on Jul. 21, 2015

Earthbound Uncut is Mother 2,The Japanese version of Earthbound, (Mother 2), had inappropriate content like Ness walking around naked. So, they restored the cut features of Mother 2 onto a SNES cartridge instead of a Super Famicom cartridge for the US.