January 7th, 2015 | MOTHER 3

18hgl9qjgbft4jpg

Last year I uploaded some custom-made tools that would let fans translate MOTHER 3 into other languages. Around the same time, I also suggested that fans could try their hand at rewriting the existing English translation if they felt up to it.

Immediately, crabbyRhys took up this task and worked hard at it for many months. At last, the rewritten script is complete and available as a patch – you can find out more info and download the patch here!

Here’s an excerpt from the readme file:

As for changes, they are too numerous to list in detail. Kumatora’s lines were almost completely broken down and redone with much more personality. Several other characters have had some more personality injected into their lines. Many of the jokes here and there were altered to rely less on Japanese style puns. There are about a thousand little tweaks to improve the flow of the dialogue. Many things will seems a little different, and many things will seem very much the same.

I’m still hoping someone can make a Klingon translation someday!

17 Comments to MOTHER 3 Rewrite Patch Released

MostStrange said on Jan. 7, 2015

Will it work with existing save files?

An E and two 8 said on Jan. 7, 2015

Cool, I will check this out later. It’ll be fun to spot all the script changes.

crabbyRhys said on Jan. 7, 2015

@MostStrange: Yes, existing save files will work. Note that if you’re using a Japanese save file for whatever reason, some character names will appear as a garbled mess.

I hope everyone enjoys the patch!

Parkraft123 said on Jan. 7, 2015

A Klingon Translation??? Hmm, I had idea to do a klingon translation of another game, Cave Story. I actually started it, but I was rellying on the translations from Bing Translator’s Klingon setting, that, and I quit early on.

LucasPSI said on Jan. 7, 2015

Thank you! i Just got up to chapter 3 of my replay of Mother 3, and I was afraid I couldn’t use this patch. But now that I found out it works with existing files, i’ll downoad it right away.

Jason said on Jan. 7, 2015

I think script rewrites totally have their place in rom hacking, and in the community in general (there are a lot of them for FF IV and VI, for example), but I do hope it’s clear to people playing the rewrite that there is no basis in the original for the ‘more personality’ added in and for many of the dialogue changes.

As a translator myself, I know it’s often hard to make translated Japanese sound good and you sometimes have to choose between ‘accuracy’ and ‘flow of the language.’ So it’s good to have a new set of eyes look at it, edit, and rewrite to make it sound more native. But when there are too many changes (especially to content), it now becomes a different story.

Just my take on the whole thing.

Kyosuke said on Jan. 7, 2015

You know Tomato is an awesome guy when you see him posting about rewrites of his Mother 3 script.

I admit I haven’t played mato’s M3 translation, so I don’t know how much it really needed rewrites, but the changes mentioned sound like they could be good changes. I’m of the opinion that adding things to a translation (like more personality for a character) is a good thing even if it doesn’t exist in the source language. It just needs to be done by someone who understands the source enough to make a good judgment about what, how, and when something should be added. A game’s source material is rarely %100 without flaw, and it is definitely not always written in a way that would match our standards of how games and their characters should be written. So if the goal is to improve the dialogue while still keeping true to the game’s world and characters, then I’m for it.

Jason said on Jan. 7, 2015

Kyosuke –

Well said! I agree that sometimes there was a little something missing, and I’ve seen localizations of games and anime that actually make it more enjoyable. I like what they did to Earthbound, for example (I’ve played Earthbound and Mother 2 to completion in both languages), and I prefer Voltron FAR more than the original Japanese version.

That said, I’ve seen a lot of these rewrites done by people (FFIV, anyone?) with zero knowledge of the original Japanese and no cross-checking, and those can get dangerously close to the “Y’know what’d be cool???” territory rather than an intelligent revision.

PKpuzzle said on Jan. 8, 2015

Time to replay the game for the 5th time ^ ^

Anonymous said on Jan. 8, 2015

I hope this isn’t like the Chrono Trigger fan re-translation, that sounded like “what the game was meant to be seen” but turned out to be just “Heyy CHRONO!1!!………”.

PKpuzzle said on Jan. 9, 2015

They keep telling how Kumatora is lack personality but i never feel that she is,i think you’ve already done a good job on her script,Mato
Still,i wanna play through this

Jeff the Killer(Illuminati) said on Jan. 10, 2015

Maybe I’m insane,but in your place I would like to add unused elements(not swapping,but professional game editing).It’s making no seance to rewrite mother 3 patch better choice is make once more EarthBound 64 like Sonic X-Treme.Look for Sega Genesis sonic games they’re able to add unused stuff taxman,stealth,simon wai.You think Nintendo translated in ssbb names from MOTHER 3 and this will work to re-release MOTHER 1 & MOTHER 3 outside Japan for Virtual Consoles?I don’t think so.Democracy/liberty conditions are like majority have to pray/beg Nintendo and Shigesato Itoi.

DJMankiwitz said on Jan. 11, 2015

You know who I would ask to help with a script for Mother 3, or any of the Mother games? Neil Gaiman. I think his way with words combined with a good translator he got along well with would produce some writing that captures as close to the original spirit as could be expected.

LJ40 said on Jan. 15, 2015

Congratulations. Going to play Tom’s translation again because this reminds me how much I like it.

Beaux said on Jan. 19, 2015

@DJMankiwitz:

Y’know, the idea seems far-fetched but he was involved with the English adaptation of Princess Mononoke… though that had Disney behind it while Mother just has (admittedly awesome) fans translating it.

neonix said on Jan. 20, 2015

Cool, seems like a cool way to force me to replay M3! I’d like to see how this “more personality” feels.

FlyingManCourage said on Jan. 26, 2015

This is a cool idea but I have come to appreciate the “Tomato experience” too much now to go and change it. To me, Tomato’s version is the proper version because it’s the one I’ve played many times and was the version I originally played. My love for this game was sculpted and caressed by the loving hands of Tomato. lol…. Relax, I was trying to creep you out there.

Cool idea and kudos to Tomato for posting about it. But I will stick to my ketchup-only version. 🙂