Popular Posts:

None found

September 11th, 2014 | EarthBound, Smash Bros., Videos

During the night, the Internet exploded with videos and pics from the full version of Super Smash Bros. 3DS, including lots of EarthBound-related material. I haven’t had time to sit down and compile it all, but the big news is that Ness is in the game… as well as Magicant and a bunch of other stuff!

I’m hoping to get the game tomorrow and get all sorts of pics and videos of my own for EB Central. If you’d like to join in, I’ll be streaming it here if all goes well.

In the meantime, you can probably find a zillion images and videos and forum posts scattered all over the Internet – if you’d like to share any EarthBound-related ones in the comments, please do!

51 Comments to Ness and Magicant in Super Smash Bros. 3DS

Swannan said on Sep. 11, 2014

Loving the Flyingman assist trophy, if thats what it is, it looks like toon link got him out of the house tho, so he might be a stage specific assist, which is cool

Matsi said on Sep. 11, 2014

Hours ago, i clicked in one guy stream of SSB and he was playing against Ness….. In Magicant, Sound Stone (Eight Melodies) OST was playing back and a lot of scenes in background (Mother 1 and 2) . I almost broke in tears just for that…i was in shock, a lot of feels in my head. Was the best spoiler in my entire life.

delectabit said on Sep. 11, 2014

I just realized that the extra platform that scrolls by on the bottom of the screen is Dungeon Man

Jesse said on Sep. 11, 2014

“Sound Stone (Eight Melodies) OST was playing back and a lot of scenes in background (Mother 1 and 2) . I almost broke in tears just for that…i was in shock, a lot of feels in my head. Was the best spoiler in my entire life.”

This.

Murabito said on Sep. 11, 2014

The song in this stage is:
-Magicant / Eight Melodies
-Smiles and Tears (this video)

Hyperstar96 said on Sep. 11, 2014

Melee/Brawl’s Onett had Mother 1 music, now this game’s Magicant has Earthbound music.

Sure. Makes perfect sense.

Oh well, this is still AMAZING!!!

EdgeTheLucas said on Sep. 11, 2014

As cool as all this is (and those remixes of Magicant’s and Smiles and Tears’ themes are beautiful), it saddens me seeing Lucas is cut. As are Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Wolf, and especially the Ice Climbers.

Enigma14 said on Sep. 11, 2014

A certain EB enemy appears as an Assist Trophy.

Some Guy said on Sep. 11, 2014

For the record, Hyperstar, this is the alt song for the stage, and if you listen carefully in the video starting at :38, you’ll hear the original Eight Melodies playing behind Smiles and Tears. Really the perfect blend of Mother 1 and 2, along with the stage itself, that the series sort of needed, considering all the 2+3 stuff that Mother 3 got (baring enemies like Titany).

The original song is Magicant, though, which I’m still aching to hear a full playthrough of. I’m up for some music rips if anyone here is planning on making any. I must hear how the original Magicant is arranged in full. Everyone keeps dying too quickly or never plays here on stock/timed matches. ;_;

Leeaux said on Sep. 11, 2014

While I am super excited for this stage and I’m very pleased with Ness so far. I’m really disappointed that Earthbound/Mother dropped to 1 rep.

anon45 said on Sep. 11, 2014

Seems like a lot of Mother 1 love in the 3DS version the game. Mother 1 stage, starmen using PK beam, Devil Car etc. Don’t understand why Ness doesn’t have a Ninten alt.

Mike said on Sep. 11, 2014

I wouldn’t mind this if it wasn’t for Bowser Jr., Wario, DHD and Dr. Mario. And my Lucas is cut :'(. I will buy the game, but right now I feel it’s not worth it

Sadsa said on Sep. 11, 2014

That’s pretty weird it was all Mother 1 & 2 references and Mother 3 nowhere in sight.

Sadsa said on Sep. 11, 2014

question is will the American version get the Pencil Statue

Chavacero said on Sep. 11, 2014

hmm Flying Man is not an Assist Trophy.

PK_Fanta said on Sep. 11, 2014

I swear I read in a leak somewhere that Lucas is planned for DLC.

PK_TANDAIR said on Sep. 11, 2014

PK_Fanta , actually, the guy that said that admitted he was lying :c

PK_Fanta said on Sep. 11, 2014

Aw, that really sucks. Well, it still might happen anyway. Look at the Animal Crossing and real car tie-ins for ?Mario Kart, after all.

anon45 said on Sep. 11, 2014

Sadsa, maybe it’s because Mother 1 and 2 had magicant but M3 didn’t, I dunno. Quite a weird omission indeed.

flintlock said on Sep. 11, 2014

The fact you can see Earthbound being remembered in the background is really touching

Anonymous said on Sep. 11, 2014

Does this mean that Lucas is officially unconfirmed? 🙁 He was my main! I guess this means I have to find a new main… I’m thinking Shulk or Robin. It’s still a little upsetting, though…

Starman Guy said on Sep. 12, 2014

Here you go: the 8 color palettes of Ness for smash 4

can someone name the potential refernce of the 3rd one?

bobby said on Sep. 12, 2014

@starman guy – kinda looks like it has paula’s dress ripples?

bobby said on Sep. 12, 2014

Also in terms of no Lucas, etc –
Don’t forget about amiibo stuff!

Rick said on Sep. 12, 2014

DAMN THIS IS AMAZING!

The music, all the references, a new Assist, wow. I don’t even care that Lucas is out.

Tokio said on Sep. 12, 2014

@ starman guy- it looks like a japanese preschooler outfit thingy… Yeah.

Shrubber said on Sep. 12, 2014

Maybe Lucas will return as DLC? if the leak is true than maybe that leak will be as well

Gage said on Sep. 12, 2014

im not to upset that lucas got cut… it looks like ness will get most of lucas’ moves as customization moves, pluss even more psi abilities… i’d rather have 1 earthbound rep that was actually good and could be molded into anything you wanted, than 2 mother reps that are both trash in competitive (not really trash but you know what i mean) plus all the other mother shenanigans they are throwing in i couldnt be happier.

Baptiste Faussat said on Sep. 12, 2014

At last! How long did we have to wait for this to be confirmed?

Prayer For Safety said on Sep. 12, 2014

Really glad to see this. The news made my day :).

Valder said on Sep. 12, 2014

Mother 3 was unpopular with Japanese audiences and Brawl’s stage/music selection was sub-par a bit, I’d understand why they did cut Lucas (it still sucks)..

“Smiles and Tears” and “Eight Melodies” (although remixed) got finally used instead of just sitting there hidden on the disk like with Brawl!

I wonder how NoA will handle that writing in the cave in Mother 2, as well as the Octopus statue :/
They left Ness’s voice acting saying “PK” instead of “PSI” before though, and it seems like they’re going with the Japanese terminology for Mother 1 even though they actually tracked down their pre-release material for Brawl (like with Tatsumari’s romanization from EB64 and its scrapped localization)

So…

Mr Saturn (item)
Starman (assist)
Magicant (M1) with M2 backgrounds/tako statue
2 tracks at least for the 3DS version, possibly more for Wii U
Devil Car (trophy)
Ness (character) -alternate costume as Fuel (M3)

Anything else?

Anonymous said on Sep. 12, 2014

all i want is what are his up b custom moves i know lucas was a variation but what is the other one?

project-stuff said on Sep. 12, 2014

@Valder

Jeff is back as an Assist, by the way. Also, Starman is both an Assist and a Smash Run enemy (though this should be obvious).

Alex-R said on Sep. 12, 2014
neonix said on Sep. 12, 2014

This is the most amazing thing I’ve seen all year!

I think NoA will leave the Japanese references. They know the EB fanbase is all well aware of its Japanese name and the differences within it. It’d be cool to see the pencil statue, bit honestly we had New Pork City and the Ultimate Chimera in Brawl and you had to be in the know to understand any of that.

Anonymous said on Sep. 13, 2014

The Flying Men have betrayed Ness.

FuzzyPaulas said on Sep. 13, 2014

Possible hint to a Mother rerelease? I mean, you can’t show gameplay from EB0 without a rerelease…

DJMankiewicz said on Sep. 13, 2014

From the looks of it, a pencil statue would occupy the exact same space with the same hit box as that octopus statue seems to, so they really could go either way. I wouldn’t be surprised if they changed it though, as they’ve been known to do that in the past (see the Perfect Dark based mine in Melee replaced with a more generic mine in the US version).

S.T.A.R.M. said on Sep. 13, 2014

Wow. I have never seen such a cool stage that represents a series so well. Good job…

Autistic Pichu said on Sep. 13, 2014

Words can not describe my excitement for this! I mean,

Wow! This was the best news,calls,and tyranny I saw today! It seems they’re trying to give the first game some more representation than before.

But all the stuff I love about the second one was in there too!

Major Pertential! Here!

Derrek said on Sep. 13, 2014

The grassy platform that comes out occasionally is actually Dungeon Man

Guy said on Sep. 13, 2014

@Valder, …did you claim Mother 3 was unpopular in Japan? XD

GhostSonic said on Sep. 13, 2014

@valder Mother 3 was a bestseller in Japan. Where are you getting “unpopular” from?

Paws said on Sep. 14, 2014

@Guy and GhostSonice: Mato made a post about that on this very blog, if you check the mother 3 tag you will find it.

MrPinci19 said on Sep. 14, 2014

Here’s the stage song if anyone wants to listen to it

Mother_fan said on Sep. 23, 2014

I,m only 13,but… Holy shit! That´s incredible.
Simply perfect!

Anonymous said on Sep. 29, 2014

@Valder I never understood what the problem with the octopus statue is.

Lloyd Jeffney said on Sep. 30, 2014

@Anonymous There wasn’t a problem with the Octopus statue, it’s just in Japan it was used for a pun that would not work out in English so that’s why it was replaced with a pencil eraser to create a new pun.

Anonymous said on Oct. 1, 2014

@Lloyd Jeffney
Thanks for clarifying that.

PK_Rage-User_Hikari said on Oct. 8, 2014

Same thing with the doll.

“Kokeshi Keshi.”

HNG said on Oct. 10, 2014

Ness is just amazing compared to Brawl, he packs a punch now! I’ve been dominating with him in Glory 1v1..