Popular Posts:

None found

September 10th, 2014 | Images, Smash Bros., Videos

A few days ago someone was like, “Hey, are you gonna stream Japanese Super Smash Bros. stuff?” and then I realized, “Hey, that comes out soon and I DO have a Japanese 3DS with capture stuff, that sounds like a cool idea!”

So yesterday I streamed some of the Japanese Super Smash Bros. 3DS demo with Poe and had a lot of fun with it. While playing, we encountered a couple EarthBound things, so I *had* to get screenshots of them for EB Central.

First is Mr. Saturn – here’s a look at him in the 3DS version:

00000 00006

I also encountered the Franklin Badge a few times, but was too busy trying to get used to the 3DS controls to notice it at first. So these are the best screenshots I have for now ๐Ÿ˜›

00002 00003

Not much is accessible in the demo, but other players HAVE found a mention of a Starman in the game!

smash-bros-starman-3ds

The text above says:

Enemy Character: Starman

An alien-like enemy that moves around using Teleport and fires PK Beams. If you’re hit by a PK Beam, you’ll be stunned for a brief moment.

Neat! The fact it uses a PK Beam means that it seems to be a MOTHER 1/EarthBound Zero-style of Starman:

As we’ve seen before the Devil Car from the first MOTHER game also seems to be in Super Smash Bros., so it looks like it’s getting some good representation!

Anyway, if you missed me streaming last night, I archive everything on my YouTube channel, so here’s where the Smash Bros. stuff starts:

Poe and I plan to stream the demo a bit over the next few days, then pick up the full Japanese version when it comes out. We’ll be playing it to have fun, and I’ll also live-translate a lot of the content for those who are interested. In particular, I hope to look for more EarthBound-related content, as well as Xenoblade stuff ๐Ÿ˜€ If you’re interested in joining in, follow me on Twitch to get notifications!

Also, if anyone here has a Japanese 3DS and is gonna get the game too, lemme know your info and maybe we can play against each other sometime!

24 Comments to EarthBound Stuff in Super Smash Bros. 3DS – Including Starman!

ZACH said on Sep. 10, 2014

Whoa! I’ll be looking forward to seeing your translations! I can only get so far with my limited knowledge right now. Also: It’d be cool to get a match in sometime!

FC: 0104-1554-6849

gustr15 said on Sep. 10, 2014

CONFIRM NESSS

Christopher said on Sep. 10, 2014

Lots of Mother 1 stuff in the game, makes it seem like Ninten as an alt costume for Ness isn’t THAT unlikely.

Maybe all three mother protagonists as alts if Lucas isn’t returning.

2Sang said on Sep. 10, 2014

Sweet didn’t know about the starman. Maybe he’s in smash run!

Mary said on Sep. 10, 2014

THANK YOU for archiving the videos on YouTube. I’m slowly working my way through them and they’re really fun. ๐Ÿ™‚

SS said on Sep. 10, 2014

Well, if we wanna fight when it comes out, I’ve got my Japanese 3DS code ready:

Kibi 1521-3161-9365

(my American 3DS is Hatty 1032-2183-3483, too).

๐Ÿ˜€

Paul said on Sep. 10, 2014

Did they remove Ness from the roster, or is he still a playable character?

Valder said on Sep. 10, 2014

Isn’t Ness all but confirmed as things stand now?
The ERSB leaker (which turned out to be legit, since he spilled the beans on Shulk and Nintendo took down his videos) said he was included, I think.

Besides he was one of the original Smash Bros 64 characters. Do they even make announcements for Mario being in Smash these days?
It would be a real shame if Lucas wasn’t included, at least his abilities.

Person said on Sep. 10, 2014

With all this Mother 1 stuff, I wouldn’t be surprised if that mystery stage wound up being Magicant after all!

neonix said on Sep. 10, 2014

Well that’s just plain awesome! ๐Ÿ˜€

Killerspecialk said on Sep. 10, 2014

Oh man, so hype. Ness is all but confirmed but for now, Lucas seems to have gotten the axe. Hope I’m wrong though. And I never thought about Ninten outfit as an alt for Ness. That would be sweet. Hope the game is choked full of Mother goodness!

Person said on Sep. 11, 2014

Magicant Confirmed!

The two songs on the stage are:
Wisdom of the World
Sound Stone (Eight Melodies)

Animegame97 said on Sep. 11, 2014

In the Magicant stage it shows footage from Mother 1 and 2 in the background… No Mother 3 love ๐Ÿ™

DLC said on Sep. 11, 2014

@Killerspecialk
If the leaks are to be taken seriously, Lucas might be in the DLC.
Though Sakurai-san said he didn’t want DLC in the games.

2Sang said on Sep. 11, 2014

Magicant looks fantastic!

project-stuff said on Sep. 11, 2014

I just saw a match at the Magicant stage via Twitch. I cannot handle my feelings right now…

Anonymous said on Sep. 11, 2014

More Magicant Pictures!

Valder said on Sep. 11, 2014

Actually, the main leaker from back then, said he made up the “DLC list” which included Lucas.

Dragonwarriorquestsagain said on Sep. 11, 2014

The buttons are too close together on the original 3ds. It also takes forever to load from title screen.

That said, it’s widely accepted that mother 3 is the least popular mother game in japan. Also, brawl had all the mother 3 goodness. So, looking back: Original smash introduced characters. Melee had mother 2 stages, brawl had mother 3 stage/character, and new smash bros has mother stage (maybe a super hidden character?). I’d rather have just plain old ness than lucas or some other shoehorned clone, to be honest. Why isn’t buzz-buzz a trophy, yet? I mean devil car, jeff, and jeff bridges?

Kuroero said on Sep. 11, 2014

well, it’s official, Lucas isn’t in Super Smash Bros 4, along with Wolf, Ice Climbers, Ivysaur and Squirtle. While it does sting a little due to him being cut after that joke at E3, i’m sure it wasn’t in bad taste.

Anonymous said on Sep. 11, 2014
BobbyJoeX said on Sep. 12, 2014

I can Confirm that Starman is an Assist Trophy

on this video http://youtu.be/GlFN5U0HtaU

Anonymous said on Sep. 14, 2014

Lucas has a trophy that says the reason he may not be in smash, is because he may have found a lover and started a family. LOL. In other words Nintendo must be saying “Lucas has moved on, so should you mother 3 fans” ๐Ÿ˜›

Trophy- http://33.media.tumblr.com/fb2225359bf9f3f3a7422cb4f2242388/tumblr_nbwcrySHMM1qadqfco2_500.png

Translation- http://33.media.tumblr.com/ae7704ea19d656bb59ca7c64fa2353ac/tumblr_nbwcrySHMM1qadqfco1_r1_500.png

PK_Rage-User_Hikari said on Oct. 8, 2014

Well, Lucas has some techniques incorporated on Ness. Plus a customizable PK Freeze attack
Sadly, my 3DS broke and cannot charge anymoreโ€ฆ.