September 14th, 2014 | Images, Smash Bros., Videos

The full version of the Japanese Super Smash Bros. 3DS came out the other day, so the Internet’s been abuzz with all sorts of info about it. Luckily, I had a Japanese 3DS and a capture thingy, so I was able to live-stream a bunch of it too!

In particular, I was looking for EarthBound-related content to share here on EB Central… and it didn’t take very long until I ran into Ness! Here’s a look:

The above video contains not only the Ness reveal, but the Magicant stage, all the cool stuff that happens in it, some of Ness’ endings, his new voices, and more. For easier reference, I also took screenshots sometimes:

I also did some rough live-translations of a few EarthBound series trophies on the stream:

I also recorded the EarthBound series music that shows up in the stages in the game:

A lot of fellow fans who were watching were sad that there wasn’t any MOTHER 3 representation, but then we ran into this!

ness-smash-3ds-00034

More recently, Lucas was apparently spotted as a trophy on another stream:

lucas-smash-bros-3ds

You can customize characters with new moves in this game, and apparently some of Ness’ custom moves are Lucas’ old moves? I haven’t tried this yet, so someone else will have to confirm, but I believe it.

Also seen on another stream was the good ol’ Jeff assist trophy:

Dnnzulj

Oh, and the English demo came out a few days ago too, which has netted a few official translations of some EarthBound things:

devil-car-smash-bros starman-smash-bros

I’m sure there’s a whole lot more to find and see if you’re an EarthBound fan. The full English version of the game comes out in just a few weeks, so I’m sure the fervor will pick up again. And then the Wii U version comes out later on, and I have no idea what to expect from that. Maybe it’ll have even more EarthBound stuff in it!

As always, if I’ve missed anything, please share it in the comments for fellow fans to see!

37 Comments to EarthBound Content Galore in Super Smash Bros. 3DS

Jeff said on Sep. 14, 2014

d’aww… jeff is an assist trophy again D: I was hoping he was going to be an unlockable character this game. x_x oh well.

Aoi said on Sep. 14, 2014

Oh god no, since Lucas wasn’t spotted as a trophy yet, I was really hoping to have him DLC but looks like the dream is dead. I’m going to miss him alot T_T

Can someone translate the description of the Lucas trophy ? It would be really nice !

MostStrange said on Sep. 14, 2014

Thank you!! I was super bummed that Lucas didn’t make the cut… But all this helps ease the pain.

Over at our website, The Action Points Podcast (http://theactionpointspodcast.com), I’m forcing my friends to play through Mother 3 and we’re meeting up to discuss how they feel about it after each chapter, with the others having no prior Mother series experiences.

I REALLY hope there’s Lucas DLC.

project-stuff said on Sep. 14, 2014

I’m really liking the Mother content here so far. Kinda bummed that Lucas isn’t playable. I’m just one of the very few that enjoy playing as any character.

@Jeff
Heh, heh. I was hoping the same back then.

STARM said on Sep. 14, 2014

I’m sad that Onett wasn’t in this one and that Lucas was cut, But the Magicant stage MORE than made up for that. I’ve never seen a more better representation of a game in Smash. I never had the same feelings I’ve had for a franchise when seeing them in smash, but in this case (and especially for being such a deep franchise), this one just works.

anon said on Sep. 14, 2014

Hey man, those are some nice screengrabs you got.
Will you be willing to do some more for the other franchises and stuff? Those rips are insanely great.

Mato said on Sep. 14, 2014

I’d be willing to do a few, but with so many characters and franchises and such I don’t think I’d have time/energy to do more than a couple requests.

BusterTheFox said on Sep. 14, 2014

If there is DLC for this game, I think Lucas is more than likely to appear. And just because he has a trophy in the game doesn’t mean he’s not going to be in at all… Seems to me like he’s MORE likely to be in because of that. Heck, he may just be another unlockable too, we haven’t found ALL the new characters yet. xD But since a lot of the leaks mentioned him as DLC specifically, if they even announce DLC, I won’t be able to help getting my hopes up. 😀

I am dying from waiting. I just want to play on the Magicant stage. Also sad, Lucas was my main in Brawl, so I guess I’ll just have to use my secondary, Pikachu, until I get Ness, then I’ll have to get used to his moveset. I’m certain I’ll enjoy the game either way.

EdgeTheLucas said on Sep. 14, 2014

If you’re willing to translate some trophies, Mato, then I only ask that you please translate Lucas’ trophy.

I’m still getting over that he’s not in the game so it’d be nice to know what it says.

357 said on Sep. 14, 2014

For you fellow Brawl hackers:

a BRSTM for Smiles and Tears (made by me):

and one for Magicant:

I suggest using them on Onett.

357 said on Sep. 14, 2014

Whoops, forgot to mention the Magicant one was not made by me.

Earth Saturn said on Sep. 15, 2014

To everyone asking for a translation of the Lucas trophy, someone on GameFAQs already did it:

“Lucas used to be weak-willed, and cry all the time. However, he overcame unimaginable hardships, and must surely be out adventuring somewhere right now. Or perhaps, he’s found a partner and made a family of his own… No, no, that feels too soon.

To fans of the MOTHER series, both Lucas and Ness might be young boys for all eternity.”

Anonymous said on Sep. 15, 2014

Not enough MOTHER 3.

PK_Fanta said on Sep. 15, 2014

Okay, so, I hope I’m not the only one who noticed this.

The grave didn’t appear in the Magicant stage until after the Flyingman died.

Perhaps they’ll keep coming out until a certain number die…?

I’m not ready for these feels…

Anonymous said on Sep. 15, 2014

reading that translated lucas trophy made me smile.

Autistic Pichu said on Sep. 15, 2014

@PK_Fanta: Okay, Magicant is instantly my favourite stage in the game That’s some major attention to detail there!

(@PK-Fanta ends here)

I really like what they did with the MOTHER series in this new Smash Bros, Game.
Makes me hope DK and his crew gets the same treatment.

I will definitely be getting the WII U version for Christmas. Even if there’s no Magicant to be found.

neonix said on Sep. 15, 2014

I’m… H… A… P… P… Y…

neonix said on Sep. 15, 2014

I’m sure Magicant will be in the Wii U version also. Considering they said they said the system-exclusive content would be things from games that were on the same systems (handheld games on 3DS, console on Wii U). So with only one MOTHER game on a handheld, and almost none of that content being in this game, as well as the Wii/Wii U VC releases, I’m sure Magicant and all the EB goodies will be on the HD screen! I can’t wait. 😀

Also, that move customizability thing sounds awesome. Hopefully it’s true. It makes me content because I like Ness more as a character, but always played him over Ness because I prefered his moves.

anon said on Sep. 15, 2014

@MatoIf you will, my good man, will you be able to take a screengrab of the Character Selection Screen for me? If you can unlock all characters by then too, I’ll be grateful. And can you also get some clean screenshots of Ness’ specials, and his Final Smash too? If that seems like too much, can you then just get a screenshot of the title screen?

Thanks in advance, my good man.

nashton e. said on Sep. 16, 2014

im still suprised that earthbound seems to have more content then xenoblade from what i saw.

JamesBond007 said on Sep. 16, 2014

I’m going to try the Magicant Stage after unlocking Ness. I’m planning a team battle – Toon Link and Ness vs two Villagers (the default one with red “1” shirt and the other one with “6” shirt).

earths defender said on Sep. 16, 2014

Oh my gosh yes! Totally going at midnight to get all of the mother goodness! I can’t believe theres so much attention to mother 1, i wonder why? *cough* 25th anniversary *cough*. I still can’t get over why pit and got so much attention?

Omelette de Lucas said on Sep. 17, 2014

All the Mother content is amazing, old and new. Though I wish Lucas wasn’t reduced to a mere trophy. I would have even been fine if Ness had some sort of homage alt to Lucas like Fox had for Wolf, but unfortunately there isn’t one. Ah well. At least with the inclusion of the trophy it means they haven’t completely forgotten about Lucas! He looks super cute in his trophy form.

JesusLovesNess said on Sep. 17, 2014

Tomato, thank you so much for taking the time to post all of this information! We all owe you a great debt of gratitude!

BluePikmin11 said on Sep. 17, 2014

Heres the full render for Ness.

TheAnalogKid said on Sep. 17, 2014

Too bad I don’t have a 3ds. Guess I’ll just have to wait for the Wii U release.

The Man With No Name said on Sep. 18, 2014

I was thinking about it and is the tomato in the Magicant stage a reference to you?

Since you did so much work for the EB community maybe Sakurai noticed?

Mato said on Sep. 18, 2014

Oh, no, it’s just a reference to this tomato:

Tourist said on Sep. 18, 2014

Tt was revealed that Akihira Toda wrote the trophy descriptions who apparently handled text on Mother?

Rowdy Mouse Champ said on Sep. 19, 2014

All I know, is that once I unlock ness, I’m going to have a team battle.

Team 1: 3 Nesses!
Team 2: One Reggie Fils-Aime!

TRANSLATE MOTHER 3 NOW.

FireflyMelody said on Sep. 20, 2014

I can’t wait to play on Magicant! ^.^

Valder said on Sep. 22, 2014

Would Nintendo let Brownie Brown make their Mother series remake now that they have some 3D assets made? – like with Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus being revived thanks to SSB, I mean 😛

One can dream…

Shame they didn’t include much Mother 3 stuff (I really hope that very vocal Japanese hatedom didn’t discourage them) especially in the flashes in Magicant :/

Valder said on Sep. 23, 2014

Someone did some data mining poking around inside SSB 3D’s English demo files: http://pastebin.com/u/Kaphotics
Here are the official English translations for some trophies:

Hailing from Onett, a small town in Eagleland,
this young boy’s ordinary looks hide his
psychic powers. Ness fought against the evil
Giygas in EarthBound, and in Smash Bros. he
unleashes some of the same PSI moves.
Watch out for PK Thunder, a guided attack
that can also launch Ness like a rocket!

Ness may have psychic powers, but that
doesn’t mean he shies away from getting
physical. His side smash packs a real
punch if you hit enemies with the end of
his bat, and it can even deflect projectiles!
His up and down smashes also have a lot
of range—Ness can land his strikes with ease!

Before adventuring, Lucas was a timid,
cautious boy. His journey has made him a
stronger person. Maybe he met someone
to spend his life with… Hang on—we’re
moving way too fast! For now, remember
that Lucas and Ness are favorites in the
hearts of EarthBound fans.

A statue of Porky that Porky ordered built
to honor the great exploits of Porky as
acknowledged by Porky. It depicts Porky
in his carefree childhood days in Onett, a
comic book in one hand and a slingshot
in the other. Be warned—this statue is also
an incredibly tough enemy!

Valder said on Sep. 23, 2014

These alien henchmen serve Giygas, the
chief villain of EarthBound. In Smash Bros.,
the assist trophy Starman will teleport
around and fire off PSI moves like PK
Beam γ or PK Beam Ω. You can defeat one
summoned by an opponent, but they won’t
go down without a fight.

Alex said on Sep. 26, 2014

@Everybody who wanted Lucas: I kinda think that M3 was erased from canon, but I am just guessing. There is high possibility that it might have not, but it could happen.

@Jeff: It may be impossible to think up a legit move-set for him without taking moves and applying them to him.

No said on Sep. 27, 2014

@Alex
I doubt Nintendo has the power to remove MOTHER 3 from the series’ canon, through SSB no less.

Alex said on Oct. 28, 2014