Popular Posts:

None found

January 7th, 2014 | EarthBound, Interviews

Marcus Lindblom, the localization director for EarthBound, was on a recent episode of Sup, Holmes. He chats with Jonathan Holmes for almost two hours about EarthBound’s localization, his EarthBound book, his work in the gaming industry, upcoming game project of his own, his desire to work with Itoi on making another lighthearted game, and lots more. Check it out!

I haven’t seen it all yet, so let me know if I missed any major topics!

13 Comments to Marcus Lindblom Spills Even More Beans

delectabit said on Jan. 7, 2014

I was watching this live as they were filming it! The thing that jumped out at me most was that he mentioned that he had been playing Mother 3 some recently.

snesdude7 said on Jan. 7, 2014

He talks about Mato 35 minutes in

mac said on Jan. 7, 2014

He talks about how his book about his earthbound localization work probably wont ever happen because nintendo asked him not to do it.

edgethelucas said on Jan. 7, 2014

Cool! I’ll make sure to check this out sometime today πŸ˜€

In the meantime, the post misspelled EarthBound as EarthBond. Just a heads up.

Huks said on Jan. 8, 2014

@edgethelucas The name’s Bond. EarthBond.

Bionic said on Jan. 8, 2014

I’m playing the uncensored version of EB right now, and it’s interesting to see where he decided to make the changes that he did. He’s an excellent translator!

Euparkeria said on Jan. 10, 2014

@mac No… πŸ™ I’m so sad…

zedrein said on Jan. 10, 2014

“UN-censored” version of EB? Is this legit?

Mato said on Jan. 10, 2014

Over the years, many people have made patches for EarthBound based on my EarthBound / MOTHER 2 comparison stuff. More recently, some other people have taken these hacked games and begun selling them on cartridges on eBay and elsewhere.

ejruss25 said on Jan. 10, 2014

They should really be distributing those for free…

Esper said on Jan. 12, 2014

Hmm… When Lindblom mentions there were some lines, one in particular being Buzz Buzz’s death speech, that he really wishes he had done a better job writing… It gets me thinking.

It’d be so awesome to make a patch for EB that fixes every line he was iffy about, and to actually have Linblom write the fixes himself. I wonder if that’s at all a possibility. I mean, I realize he’s got a life well outside of EarthBound.

Esper said on Jan. 12, 2014

@Esper

Wow I typed that up a bit too soon. A few seconds later, Lindblom actually mentions he thinks that’d be fun.

MATO. SET THIS UP.

Mato said on Jan. 12, 2014

It’s funny, because I chatted with him about it during the EB Bash and he mentioned it’d of course be nice to fix things but that he’d prefer to just leave the translation alone, to stand as its own thing as a product of its own time.

I totally understand that view, I feel the same way about Mother 3 a lot too. But if he’s changed his mind, that’s cool too!