The Ultimate Starman Club Treasure
In a recent interview with GameSpot, Reggie chatted about all sorts of E3-related topics, including the release of EarthBound Beginnings. Check it out here:
Basically, he says:
- Nintendo is aware of the fans of the series
- Nintendo thought making the game immediately available after the announcement was a great way to service those fans
- He has nothing more to announce for the series for now
- The skit they did at the last E3 was based on actual experiences with EarthBound fans bombarding him with requests for MOTHER 3
- Nintendo knows the love is there, so we’ll see what happens
- They decided to release the first game in the series so gamers could experience the series’ fundamental roots
I’m glad Reggie didn’t set any people on fire this year. And no Dr. Andonuts door insanity, either. This was definitely a nice E3 for fans 😛
There’s been a lot of big EarthBound series news lately, and here’s one that I’ve quickly covered on the past few live streams: a Saturn Valley-themed Hobonichi Planner cover will be released this September!
Here’s a look at the current sample:
Itoi’s company, Hobonichi, already released an Onett-themed cover for last year, so it looks like he’s hoping to make it into a series. Here’s a quick video of the Onett cover that I took a while back for reference:
If the Saturn Valley cover is like the Onett cover, then you’ll probably get more than just the cover itself. The Onett cover came with a Mr. Saturn pencil board and possibly some other goodies, but I can’t recall the details.
There’ll be more info about the Saturn Valley cover in August, but for now you can check out the official announcement here!
Chaos Rush recently posted on the Romhacking.Net forums about a color restoration patch for the MOTHER 1 side of MOTHER 1+2 on the GBA:
As some of you may know, a lot of GBA games have brightened, washed out colors in order to make it easier to see on an unlit GBA. This is a patch for *Mother 1+2* for GBA that restores the colors back to what they were on NES (just the Mother 1 side of the ROM, I have not bothered with the Mother 2 side and don’t have any plans to)
…except I’ve made several patches. Because there are no true NES colors because of the way it handles colors. To my knowledge, NES games don’t have any palette data, they just have ‘color assignments’ choosing from the NES’s 64 different color ‘slots’. But the way these colors appear can be different from one TV to another, whether it’s between NTSC and PAL, or RF/AV cables… so really there are no ‘true’ NES palettes. Which is why I made two patches, one patch using a supposedly ‘accurate’ NES palette I found on a NES dev forum, and another patch using the palette that Nintendo uses for NES Virtual Console games on Wii & Wii U (credit to SuperrSonic and Daxtsu from GBAtemp for ripping the VC palette).
When they ported Mother 1 to the GBA, they adapted the NES 64 color limit to it, and came up with their own unique color palette that was clearly optimized for the original model GBA and nothing else. Unfortunately that palette they used makes trees look neon-green on backlit displays.
There’s a lot more to read about this patch, so if you’d like to learn more or want to download the latest patch, head over here!
Seokyoung contacted me to let me know that there’s now a Korean translation of MOTHER 3 out there! Here are some sample screenshots:
You can find more info here and here, although I don’t actually know how to download the patch since I don’t know Korean and Google Translate doesn’t turn up any info about downloading it. If anyone can help, let me know!
EarthBound Beginnings was released a few days ago on Wii Us outside of Japan, and it appears to be the exact same as the NES ROM that leaked years and years ago, with no known changes. The Japanese version was also released on Japanese Wii Us… but it HAS had some changes.
There isn’t a full list of what changes exist in the Japanese version so far, but they seem to be in line with some (but not all) of the changes made during the MOTHER 1+2 GBA port.
Japanese Miiverse posters have shared some examples. The crow, which was smoking a cigarette in the original Famicom MOTHER game, is now cigarette-less in the Wii U version. This change was also present in the MOTHER 1+2 GBA release, and it’s suspected it has to do with Japan’s rating systems.
A line in the elementary school was also changed – in the original MOTHER game, a kid asks if you’ve played Dragon Quest 4 and then says he’s still stuck on the third game. In the GBA release and in this Wii U release, he says, “Have you played that one game? I haven’t yet.”
So it looks like some of the changes made during the GBA release have been made to the Japanese Wii U version as well. I wonder what else will turn up… If anyone finds anything out, let me know here in the comments or on Twitter!
Thanks to everyone who let me know about these things, and thanks to JBRC for digging them up on Miiverse!
Yesterday was Monday, which meant another edition of EarthBound Central Live!
A LOT happened over the past week, so it’s no surprise that this EBC Live was so full of news stories, reader submissions, viewer questions, and more. if you missed it live, you can see it all here on YouTube:
For quick and easy reference, I’ve highlighted all of the main points of the stream:
- Stream Start
- Last Week’s Front Page News
- A recap of EarthBound Beginnings’ announcement, reactions
- EarthBound Beginnings was the top trending topic for a while
- A recap of our celebration stream
- Our Mother on Game Boy Color petition finally worked!
- A look at the Japanese side of Earthbound Beginnings’ news
Q&A / Discussion
- What are the Japanese saying about us finally getting the first game?
- What are our thoughts on MOTHER 4 the fan project?
- What’s our favorite part of EarthBound Beginnings?
- If they made a MOTHER series of amiibos, which characters would we want to see?
- How soon did we jump on the MOTHER 4 invite list?
- “Is it weird that I, a Canadian male, really want to spoon Itoi right now?”
- Is this statement true about Nintendo wanting to use our fan translation of MOTHER 3?
- What do we think Phil Sandhop is doing right this minute?
- If EarthBound Zero is now EarthBound Beginnings, what might MOTHER 3 end up called?
- Any news on the EarthBound documentary?
- What does the title screen of EarthBound Beginnings look like?
- How do I interpret George’s back story in EarthBound Beginnings? Did he steal PSI?
- More EarthBound Zero/MOTHER 3 renaming ideas
- Is it spelled “MOTHER” or “Mother”?
- Why don’t we use the webcam more often?
- What percent chance is there of MOTHER 3 releasing this summer?
- If MOTHER 3 is ever released worldwide, what’s next for the EarthBound fandom?
- What would I ask for payment for Nintendo using the MOTHER 3 fan translation?
- What would we put in an EarthBound-themed time capsule?
E-mails from Readers / Viewers
- Have I contacted Nintendo about using my MOTHER 3 translation?
- Lucas outfits in the new Super Smash Bros. games
- Everyone Loves Derek
- Salsa dancing animation
- MOTHER 3 releasing on 6/19/2015 rumor pic
- Eight Melodies in D Minor, nice & creepy!
- EarthBound Woodblock Sprite Art
- A recent MOTHER 1 & MOTHER 3 on Wii U rumor
- GBA ROMs on the 3DS
- Campaign to end Nintendo’s region locking uses MOTHER 3 as an example
- Dung Beetle info!
- Mr. Saturn & school boredom
Playing EarthBound Stuff!
Bonus Q&A / Discussion!
- Are the caves in Magicant the simplified version or the original MOTHER 1 version?
- Was the Magicant stage in the new Smash Bros. made because they were planning to release EBB all along?
- What do we think about EarthBound Beginnings?
- Do we have any predictions for Smash DLC?
- What non-MOTHER game that we never got do we wish we could play in English?
- Do we think this was released just for EarthBound’s 20th anniversary, or for other reasons?
- Piggy Jelly talk
- Should Nintendo the Nintendo World Championships yearly?
- Have I ever played Shadowrun for the Super Famicom?
- How old was I when I decided to learn Japanese?
- More ideas for MOTHER 3’s title if/when it gets a worldwide release
- If the whole trilogy was released in English, what would be next for fans?
- Physical releases of the MOTHER games in English are unlikely in the future. Is it better that it be all-digital?
- Maybe fans could move on to talking about the fan-made MOTHER 4?
- What’s next for me as a translator?
- Translating the fan-made MOTHER 4 into Japanese
- Maybe the fandom could focus on charities?
- Which game is Super Mario Bros. 7?
- Who are our favorite cartoon voice actors?
- What toothpaste do I use?
- What do we think about YouTube Gaming?
- Can I say if I’m working on Dragon Ball Super?
- Do we plan on buying this game on every Wii U we come across?
- What are our thoughts on the upcoming Nintendo Direct?
- Twinkle Elementary & the Game Boy Camera share music
- Funny text formatting
- MOTHER 3’s composer & MOTHER 3 music on public TV
- EarthBound Beginnings is tearing up the sales charts already!
- Are we watching any cartoons/anime right now?
- What prompted Nintendo to release this game at this point in time?
- EarthBound Beginnings’ competitors on the sales charts
- Is it frustrating seeing everyone play this mistake-filled translation?
If you missed out on this week’s show but would like to be a part of future shows, here are some handy links to guide you on your way:
- My Twitch channel – the live shows will happen here
- My YouTube channel – if you miss a show, it’ll be here later on!
- PoematoCX.com – more info on our streams and the stuff we do
- My personal Twitter – I’ll tweet when we’re about to go live
- The EB Central Twitter – I’ll also retweet it from here if it’s EB Central related
See you next game!
A lot happened yesterday! The super-big news is that the game before EarthBound – which most of us call EarthBound Zero – has been officially released in English on the Wii U Virtual Console!
The game costs $6.99 in the U.S. and £6.29 in the UK, I’m not sure what it costs in other regions, though. The game appears to be exactly the same as the prototype ROM that we’re all familiar with, but I’ve only seen up to Magicant so far.
Here are some links to check out:
- Official English page
- Official Japanese page
- Itoi’s page, which includes other new news too – I’ll cover this at a later time
Here’s the promo video for the game:
Itoi himself gave a special message for fans outside of Japan:
And you can see how people reacted to the announcement here:
Itoi also tweeted a lot yesterday, talking about how he’s been getting absolutely flooded with tweets from around the world, and although he can’t understand them, he wants to say thanks to them all.
At the same time, Poe and I held a special Twitch stream with our fellow Starmen.Net / Fangamer friends to commemorate the occasion! You can see it all on YouTube now here:
The first hour of the stream was the Lucas DLC in Super Smash Bros., and after that we played EarthBound Beginnings. The whole thing lasted about four hours and was filled with lots of fun discussion about the series, our history as fans, the people behind the game, upcoming events, silly drawings, camera-killing dogs, and more. I’ve broken the stream up into chunks, so check it out if you get the time sometime!
EarthBound and EarthBound Zero/Beginnings absolutely dominated the most-wanted Virtual Console game lists back in the Wii days. Now, after all these years, they’re finally available!
We’ll probably be talking more about this on tonight’s EarthBound Central live, so join us for more live discussion about this and the other flood of new news I’ve yet to post about!
Earlier today, Poe and I held a special stream with a bunch of our fellow EarthBound fans – we played the new Lucas DLC for Super Smash Bros. Wii U and then moved over to the newly-announced EarthBound Beginnings! EarthBound Beginnings is basically EarthBound Zero, but now officially for sale on the Wii U in English!
The stream was a lot of fun and many people stopped by! It was great – even Itoi tweeted about it! Here are just some random screenshots of the stream:
If you missed the live stream, I’ll have it on YouTube in the near future, but for now you can watch it all on our Twitch channel here!
Thanks again for everyone who stopped by and shared all this EarthBound love with us! More news and details in future posts and in future EarthBound Central Live streams!
Yui sent this in a little while ago – it’s about a couple fan-made mods for Super Smash Bros. Brawl that are EarthBound and MOTHER 3 themed!
so basically there is a really cool guy who does comics you might know him actually… anyway
over at http://smaaaash.net/ …you can take a look at some brand new EarthBound stages he’s just recently finished!
First off there’s Osohe Castle, i remember you or someone else on sm.net talking about this stage a long time ago. i picked it up back then, it was awesome but it was very basic then. he’s completely redone the stage now. it’s very impressive!
Second is a stage i’ve been mega hyped for a few months about; Lumine Hall! it has an interesting stage layout, and the cave lights up with memories of the games!
Isn’t that cool!? The stages are both littered with awesome references, Sam has a very professional touch to these, i think.
And here’s a video of the Lumine Hall stage in action:
This is incredibly amazing work and clearly took a lot of skill and dedication! Nice job, Sam!
- next-gen: In Starmen.net there’s no sub-guidelines telling “…don’t bump several mounths thread…”like MOTHER 3...
- Nintendo of America: How can I open .gsf gameboy advance ost database in which tool gsf player for unused game beats?
- mariotti: haha just checked this guy’s account he’s a total miiverse dater lmao
- Mato: We’ve been playing the Japanese re-release on EB Central Live the past two weeks. There is no run button, don’t know about the...
- Seifer: I second NichoMania question… If it would be possible, that would be awesome. Some very cool people were able to mod the Steam...