MOTHER 2 in Apr. 22, 1994 Famitsu
Here are many of the frequently asked questions I get about EarthBound Central. If you have a question but it isn’t answered here, you can always ask on the message board or here. You’re more likely to get an answer quicker if you use the message board route.
Q: I tried to register an account, but never got a confirmation e-mail. What do I do?
A: This seems to be due to people’s ISPs’ spam filters. Check your spam folder and see if your confirmation e-mail is in there. Some ISPs, like AOL, might just delete some e-mails outright, so you might want to be aware of that.
If you signed up but can’t get your confirmation e-mail for whatever reason, just contact me and let me know your situation and what name you signed up under.
Q: How can I get an avatar next to my name? How can I change the avatar I have?
A: At the moment, the site is set up so that you’re given a random avatar when you register an account. If you make a comment on the site but don’t have an account, you’ll get the generic Magicant question mark avatar.
There is currently no way to change what avatar you have. Sometimes I’ll offer custom avatars for a short period of time, and that’s currently the only way to get a different avatar of your choosing. I’ll probably make some sort of avatar-selector at some point, but it’s not a priority.
Q: What is the best way to contact you with information or news?
A: The very best way is here. Either e-mail me directly or use the handy form there. Trying to get my attention via a comment in an unrelated post or via PMs on the message board will take longer and isn’t recommended.
Q: This site is cool! Can I help? Can I be on staff?
This is actually just a personal blog run by me. I’m trying to keep things as simple as possible; I find that that method works best for this site, in comparison to something like Starmen.Net. So there’s no staff here and there probably won’t be a need for a staff in the foreseeable future.
The best ways to help out are:
- Let me know if you ever come across something interesting that’s EarthBound series-related.
- I post help requests often, usually on the message board but sometimes on the front page of EarthBound Central too.
- If you’re looking for EarthBound merchandise on eBay, buying it through a link on EarthBound Central helps a little.
- If you have some spare money lying around, donating always helps too.
Q: Why do you have ads on EarthBound Central?
A: EarthBound Central is separate from Starmen.Net, and thus I have hosting fees to pay each month. I try to keep the ads as relevant to EarthBound as possible to keep the site especially EarthBoundy. They don’t generate a whole lot of money of course, maybe a few dollars on a lucky day, but every little bit helps. Also, since the goal of EarthBound Central is to focus more on the games and everything surrounding them, I feel it’s natural for there to be an emphasis on merchandise here. As a comparison, Starmen.Net’s merchandise section is kind of just there for show.
If you’re considering buying something EarthBound-related off of eBay, if you do it through a link on EarthBound Central (like the ones here, for example), that’ll help a tiny bit. Or, if you’re feeling generous, you can always do the regular donation thing:
I haven’t figured anything out or programmed anything yet, but I’ll probably set something up sometime where if you donate a small certain amount, you’ll get custom avatars and other neat little upgrades to your account here. But that’s down the road a little bit.
Q: Wait, this site is separate from Starmen.Net? What’s the deal with that?
A: I briefly explain the details about this here. Basically, Starmen.Net’s sort of like the community hub now, with fan art, community projects, stuff like that. EarthBound Central is meant to focus more on the games and things surrounding the games. Another goal of EarthBound Central is to make it a place where casual fans can find top-notch fan-made stuff that they’d never know about otherwise.
(If you think some other questions should be here, don’t hesitate to let me know!)
- Midna: @game4brains: The NES EarthBound is “hellishly hard” because the Famicom Mother was “hellishly hard”. And the...
- game4brains: Mato, I can only imagine your excitement. Besides, it’s not every day that somoeone chooses to LP the far-better fan translation...
- vince94: The story’s the best part of EarthBound Zero anyway, though I wish someone would make a music restoration patch, a la FF6. The GBA...
- Raiden: And what a stupid issue to have!lol
- kicker: @SpitefulCrow Point 1 is moot since the GBA version of the first game sounds fine regardless. The second game is what mostly has issues....