November 28th, 2017 | Images, MOTHER 1, Uncommon Knowledge

A reader sent in an e-mail a few weeks back about something I’d never heard of before – there’s possibly a secret message near the end of the game, spelled out using a cave’s layout!

do want to make it clear that I did not make this discovery, but I know the person that did (KonekoFire) and they deserve full credit. I’m doing this as a favor for them.

Anywho, KonekoFire has taken all of the maps from the final Mt. Itoi area, and by moving and turning them around, he has discovered that they spell Gyiyg, as seen below. To many peoples knowledge, this has not been discovered by anyone.
The Reddit post he made on the matter today can be read here.

And here’s the picture:

Note that Giegue/Giygas is known as GYIYG in Japanese:

And for reference, here’s a full map of all the different cave pieces:

Given the bizarre letter combination involved, I feel rather confident this isn’t a coincidence. And if it was intentional, it meant the English spelling of Gyiyg’s name was already determined before MOTHER 2, which I’ve never found any evidence of until now.

Still, the fact that not every map piece is used to spell the name leaves me a tiny bit doubtful too. What do you think? Coincidence or intentional?

13 Comments to A Secret Message in MOTHER / EarthBound Beginnings?

FredBounder said on Nov. 28, 2017

Amazing! :O

Sean said on Nov. 28, 2017

Awesome find. I love when people discover stuff like this from such old games.

Howisthisaname said on Nov. 28, 2017

h0t!

Alex Foffano said on Nov. 28, 2017

The letters “i” and the secong “g” had to be turned 90° to work. I don’t know, I think it’s just a coincidence, but it’s too good to be one either.

Jean said on Nov. 28, 2017

Even though the map pieces need to be rotated to resemble it, I would be inclined to believe it’s intentional on the part of the map designer.

I mean, GIYIYG is a very unusual word…the fact that most of the map pieces put together can spell out his name seems like too perfect of a coincidence, no? :3

Leeaux said on Nov. 28, 2017

I would say this is pretty on point, but the extra maps deviate it for me I think a bit too much. For one it looks like the maps need to be rotated to work unless I am wrong.

I think for me it’s coincidence, but I would love for it not to be!

Halloween said on Nov. 28, 2017

That is a super cool discovery! I don’t think it’s intentional though.

Anonymous said on Nov. 29, 2017

certainly interesting, even if it is a coincidence. in your studies of RPG like FF4 and such, are these not common shapes in map design? straight line, a forked road, a spiralish G shape? I could imagine especially the letter Y being extremely common. I think this will be forever a mystery.

Anonymous said on Dec. 1, 2017

That second y is super iffy, the i and the g had to be rotated, the capital G had two prong things, there’s a bunch of other caves that are unrelated. Seems like it’d all be a lot more clear if it was intentional, so my guess is coincidence.

Still a neat idea to think about though.

Zombie Mato said on Dec. 1, 2017

This is a test of a new spaceship I bought

Matt said on Dec. 2, 2017

scraping the bottom of the barrel i see

Tuwonwon said on Dec. 2, 2017

I think it’s certainly possible, and looking a little off and having extra pieces is very much like the dungeon maps in Zelda’s second quest. They clearly spell out “Zelda,” but out of order and with a few extra, unrelated pieces.

Anonymous said on Dec. 4, 2017

In Zelda, second quest level two the in-game map is clearly an A, even though you can enter the middle it’s blank on the map, same with level 4 and D, so it’s pretty clear what the developers were doing, had they been filled in it would have been a bit more iffy.

What really makes me think this is a coincidence for this is having to rotate it and that completely mangled second y.