MOTHER 3 Handbook Video Review
I’ve been going through lots of old game magazines lately for my Legends of Localization work, and there’s a lot of old MOTHER 2 info in there. I cover a lot of it in my EarthBound book but here’s something that I found in a magazine I got last week:
(Click for larger pic)
This was from April 1994, about four months before MOTHER 2 was on store shelves. Almost every screenshot has something different or interesting going on: Ness’ house is different, Twoson’s layout is different, etc.
One of the big differences that can be seen here is the game’s intro, when Ness, Pokey, and Ness’ dog go investigate the meteorite. Originally, this entire intro portion of the game took place during the day (see here), but someone on the staff suggested making it happen at night just a few weeks before MOTHER 2 was released. And according to this article, MOTHER 2 was going to be released in about a month, but it wound up being closer to four months. From these pictures, I guess a lot of that time was spent adding polish to the game.
I’ve been slowly tracing MOTHER 2’s coverage through all these old Japanese magazines. I think the earliest I’ve seen it mentioned was in 1990, but I haven’t gotten around to scanning a lot of the earlier stuff yet. If I do scan any interesting stuff I’ll post it on EB Central for sure.
Other Related Posts:
10 Comments to A Peek at Some MOTHER 2 Pre-Release Differences
- Fred bounder: You missed the pk album from fangamer!!
- KingOfSwords: For those who don’t know, the Lasagna Cat video is a reference to “Colin’s Bear Animation”:...
- neonix: Dang, somehow I didn’t catch wind of that ruler auction. I would have been in the bidding for it. Oh well, guess I’ll keep...
- Leeaux: And I just posted wondering where you went! Great stuff.
- Leeaux: Mato! We miss you! Come back to us!