August 7th, 2016 | EarthBound, Merchandise

For the last two years, Hobonichi has released MOTHER-themed planner covers and related merchandise, including an Onett cover and a Saturn Valley cover. It looks like another set is planned for 2017, based on this teaser announcement. The announcement includes three small, cropped images:

ph5_3 ph5_1

Show »

ph5_2

So it seems like there’ll be at least a Winters cover and a Magicant cover. Of course, the Magicant cover might seem unusual or confusing to some fans – that’s because Ness wears clothes in EarthBound Magicant, but not in MOTHER 2.

Larger, more formal announcements are slated for later this month, so we should know more about the MOTHER 2 lineup then.

13 Comments to MOTHER 2-Themed 2017 Planner Announcement

KillerSpecialK said on Aug. 7, 2016

Saw this on Twitter a few days back. I’m really looking forward to these. Hopefully I’ll finally be able to snag a Mother 2 one!

Tuwonwon said on Aug. 8, 2016

There’s actually four teaser images. If you click (and hold?) on the little Saturn just below the third image, you can see a bonus teaser: http://www.1101.com/store/techo/en/fun/2017yokoku_cover/images/ph5_4s.png

Gorgias said on Aug. 10, 2016

@Tuwonwon
Cool find!

BTW: at least in Firefox, you need to press the Saturn rapidly a couple times to make the screenshot appear.

adex said on Aug. 13, 2016

This is disappointing. I didn’t know about the nude Ness in Magicant. Sort of ruins the game for me with this perverted detail. Probably won’t play again and I guess I’m leaving the community.

Shrub said on Aug. 13, 2016

@adex
I understand the sentiment, but remember that this is NOT just nudity for the sake of nudity or anything – this is nudity used in a literary sense. Ness appears as naked because it represents to the player the idea that he has gone deep into the depths of his own mind, where he confronts, instead of outside bad-guys, the evils within his own mind. It represents the idea that he has nothing covering him, no social/personal constructs shielding him from the truth of the matter – he has been reduced to his most basic form, and in it, he must explore his mind and challenge his evil.

Even so, we play the NA version, which has been tastefully edited anyway. Personally I prefer the pajamas as well, but I do think Itoi made him naked for a good reason, not for anything silly or pointless.

DJMankiewicz said on Aug. 15, 2016

And his most basic form still includes a baseball cap :D.

I’d agree with all of that. Adex, if there’s a personal reason you feel this ruins the game and poisons the community enough to leave, then I won’t pry and I understand.

However, I can honestly say that, having seen it for myself, there’s nothing perverse about how it’s done. It doesn’t even really “show” anything. Now, Japan (especially recently) does have a serious issue with pandering to pedophiles. That’s an industry-wide problem that their culture needs to address at some point. However, I wouldn’t put this in the same category. I would add that America has used this “naked innocence” thing plenty of times itself, in the same way. Namely, in the first Superman movie, at the very beginning when they show baby Kal-El naked and standing in a sun beam. Mind, Hollywood ALSO has some pretty terrible history in how they treat their child actors, but again, I don’t think that scene is an example of it.

Mother2fan said on Aug. 18, 2016

“adex” is apparently not only an idiot who can’t understand symbolism, but also a prude who can’t handle even nonsexual nudity. Perverted?

DJMankiewicz said on Aug. 19, 2016

I’m not willing to write Adex off like that myself. There’s a good possibility there’s real reasons why such a thing might trigger such a reaction that I am not going to pry into. I’d rather just offer an explanation and a defense to what I think is an artistically valid choice, without pressuring anyone into playing something that might have some painful associations.

adex said on Sep. 13, 2016

“Mother2fan” is just some perverted eurocreep who thinks females should be subjected to the naked male form whenever the patriarch wishes so.

StarmanAlex said on Sep. 13, 2016

JERRY JERRY JERRY JERRY

EileenThePizzaQueen said on Sep. 15, 2016

@adex As a (mediocre) feminist I want so badly to be able to defend you here. I absolutely get why you’d be uncomfortable with this part of the game, and Mother2fan’s reply was out of line. But… “eurocreep”? Really?? With that one completely unwarranted xenophobic insult, you lost any right to claim moral high ground here. You’re just as judgmental as anyone else, so don’t act like you’re so above it all…

Anonymous said on Sep. 26, 2016

@adex SJW much?

RalahTama said on Sep. 26, 2016

This thread is bad, I’m making it about Talah Rama now.

My favorite thing about Talah Rama is his wise, knowing eyes. What’s yours?