June 9th, 2016 | EarthBound, Merchandise

A possible EarthBound prototype sold on eBay UK yesterday for £200, which is about $350 in US dollars at the moment.

earthbound-prototype-sale

And here are the photos that were included:

earthbound-prototype1

earthbound-prototype3

earthbound-prototype2

This isn’t the first time something like this has popped up – another one also sold on eBay UK in 2009 for $584. I’m not sure if this is the same one or not, but the one in 2009 had EEPROM stickers while yesterday’s doesn’t.

Luckily a very personable Japanese collector bought this most recent EarthBound oddity and is hoping to check to see if the game is any different from the final retail version of EarthBound. He goes by RetroGameTV on Twitter and you can follow him here.

Here’s hoping we discover some mid-localization content on this mysterious artifact!

7 Comments to Possible EarthBound Prototype Sells for $350

Derek Rose said on Jun. 10, 2016

Going off of the item’s description, saying that the current ROM is EarthBound but it can easily be changed, I’m scared this is just a standard development cartridge that at some point had a complete ROM put on it to increase interest and the price.

Hopefully this isn’t the case, but it’s a fantastic item to see nonetheless.

Gorgias said on Jun. 10, 2016

“A very personable Japanese collector”

*clicks link, everything is in Japanese*

OK Mato, I’ll just take your word for it.

snesboxyoshi said on Jun. 10, 2016

it would be nice if he leaked the rom online so people can look into the game and see any changes.

MarioMan123 said on Jun. 11, 2016

Shouldn’t those EPROM windows be covered with tape to protect them from UV light so they don’t get erased?

Apple Kid said on Jul. 8, 2016

Hmmmmmm… I know I’m playing the skeptic here, but it looks to me that the “Earth Bound” prototype is being played in a Super Famicom. If this is an American prototype, I think it would only play on the SNES, and if it’s a Japanese prototype is shouldn’t say, “Earth Bound,” I don’t believe. I’m open to being wrong, but those are my first impressions.

bahamut920 said on Jul. 9, 2016

@Apple Kid: Super Famicom games play just fine on a SNES, and vice versa. The only “region locking” on the SNES was a physical difference in the carts, I think a little tab or something, that kept Japanese games from fitting into a SNES. One of my friends has a Parodius game and I think one or two of the Japan-only Super Bomberman games, which he plays on an American SNES which is, to my knowledge, unmodified (and it used to be my SNES).

Sato said on Sep. 20, 2016

@Apple Kid
It’s probably a UK SNES, which has the same design as the Super Famicom. There’s the possibility that this is a European prototype, seeing as the game was never released in Europe/UK.

@bahamut920
There’s more to SNES region locking than just the physical difference.