February 17th, 2016 | MOTHER 1

kenisu recently posted some translations from the Mother 1 manual, and it includes the name of the main character’s mom: Carol.

Proof_of_Carol_large

MY HOME
I’ve got four people and one pet in my household: There’s me, my mom Carol, and my little sisters Minnie and Mimmie (they’re twins), as well as our dog Mick. I guess Dad’s out somewhere far away. Whenever I return home, Mom fixes me my favorite food, and my sister will also look after my valuable items for me.

The parents in MOTHER 1 and 2 never really had names, so I guess we all just assumed that Ninten’s mom didn’t have a name. But it turns out this little detail’s been hiding in plain sight for years!

14 Comments to Ninten’s Mom Has an Official Name

David B. said on Feb. 17, 2016

Huh, unexpected tidbit. Never thought there’d be a named parent in Mother 1/2.

Star and Moon said on Feb. 17, 2016

Huh. Carol is the name I gave Ana when I played this game.

How about that.

Shh In Disguise said on Feb. 17, 2016

Haha… that’s my mom’s name, and I’ve cosplayed as Ninten before.

Jesús S. said on Feb. 17, 2016

It seems that mother 1 still has some secrets after all this years…

PKluv said on Feb. 17, 2016

Nice bit of “hidden” data! lol, I always love when stuff like this is found in my favorite games-It’s like digging up a piece of hidden treasure-even if it’s a small tidbit like this. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said on Feb. 17, 2016

Somehow I knew this, I just don’t remember where I’ve heard it before

Anonymous said on Feb. 18, 2016

I *feel* like I’ve heard this somewhere before. Jamais vu I guess.

joeymartin64 said on Feb. 19, 2016

I have to wonder, given the Japan’s-take-on-Wonder-Bread-America style of the game, along with the flip hairdo she had in the Japanese version, if her having that name isn’t an intentional reference to Carol Brady.

Anonymous said on Feb. 19, 2016

Possibly to Carol Brady (as that fits the time frame perfectly). I would buy that.

I was thinking that Carol is a pun off of eight melodies being carols you sing, but I suppose the language barrier defeats that logic.

alexsmbaratti said on Feb. 20, 2016

Let’s be honest. Those “valuable items” Ninten’s sister holds on to are really just a bunch of NIB Ness amiibos.

(Rare amiibos are literally the first thing to come to my mind when I think of valuable.)

SuperStarmen said on Feb. 26, 2016

So Ness’ mom is the only one without a name i guess.

DJMankiewitz said on Feb. 27, 2016

Hmm, anyone care to take a crack at the Japanese manual? I know that their manual came with lyrics for the ending theme (sadly missing from our US manual/Player’s Guide), but I wonder what else might be in there, waiting…

Billy said on Apr. 8, 2016

It could be a reference to Carol Brady. But I fail to see how it “fits the time frame perfectly”, when The Brady Bunch aired from 1969 to 1974 and Mother 1 is supposed to be set sometime in the 1980s.

BlueStone said on Apr. 26, 2016

I somehow already knew this as well. I remember reading about it somewhere, either on this site or sm.net many years ago.