A Couple Site Updates
February 23rd, 2016 | MOTHER 1
A while back I stumbled upon the old Famitsu review of MOTHER 1. The game scored a 31/40 at the time – in comparison, MOTHER 2 scored a 34/40 and MOTHER 3 scored a 35/40.
Here’s a look at the review for MOTHER 1:
And here’s a quick translation of the reviewers’ comments about MOTHER 1:
- I’m sure there are many things you could criticize, from the game’s balance to it’s unfocused story, to its giant map that takes forever to traverse. But I also feel it’s fair to call this game a tour de force. The story does get quite exciting, and the music is amazing.
- I had great expectations when I played this game, but the first dozen hours or so filled me with disappointment. It offered nothing new and felt lacking as an RPG. But, however, even so, MOTHER demonstrates its true potential in the second half of the game. Save your expectations for the latter part of the game.
- The story takes place in a futuristic setting, which gives this game a very “modern” feel. For example, money you earn is automatically deposited into your bank account, and you use your ATM card to withdraw it. So many RPGs until now have been about olden times, so this is nice and fresh take on the genre. The monsters that appear in the game are really cute.
- This is one of those games where you’ll think to yourself, “This is it?” while playing it, but after you’ve finished it you’ll think, “That was great.” It has a touching story. I have some small gripes, but they’re all forgivable when I step back and look at the whole picture. I think the game is great. The music is a must-hear.
Total Score: 31 / 40
Famitsu scores seem to fluctuate over the years, but from what I can tell this was a really respectable score at the time. And it’s cool to finally see how professional game reviewers felt about the game back in the day.
This reminds me that I need to write about MOTHER 2’s Famitsu stuff sometime too, so look forward to that in the new future!
Other Related Posts:
11 Comments to Famitsu’s Review of MOTHER 1
- Sat: 2000$ is almost what I’d pay for that jacket, gosh. Are those EB64 screenshots in full res ? Is there more to see? Even if we’ve...
- Fred bounder: You missed the pk album from fangamer!!
- KingOfSwords: For those who don’t know, the Lasagna Cat video is a reference to “Colin’s Bear Animation”:...
- neonix: Dang, somehow I didn’t catch wind of that ruler auction. I would have been in the bidding for it. Oh well, guess I’ll keep...
- Leeaux: And I just posted wondering where you went! Great stuff.