December 17th, 2015 | Merchandise, MOTHER 3, Videos

MOTHER 3 was just re-released on the Japanese Wii U Virtual Console, and to commemorate the event Nintendo has all three of the Japanese games on sale for a limited time.

Capture2

Japanese fans are now able to buy the entire series on the Wii U:

m123-jpn-wiiu-vc

The MOTHER 3 Miiverse is also filled with lots of cool posts and drawings from Japanese fans. Fans outside of Japan have also taken to asking for a localized release elsewhere around the world.

mother3miiverse

MOTHER series-themed Nintendo eShop cards have also been released in Japan. You can buy these at different stores around Japan, but I’m not sure if they’re available for import at any of the regular import shops.

card

I believe the Lucas amiibo is also now available in Japan!

large

When MOTHER 2 was released on the Japanese Wii U, we held a special EarthBound Central/Fangamer/Starmen.Net live stream to celebrate. We had a similar celebration when EarthBound Beginnings was released. I had hoped to hold a special stream for this MOTHER 3 release too, but Fangamer is in the middle of holiday shipping mode, so Poe and I held a special EarthBound Central Live stream instead. You can check it out here:

We played through the first chapter, took a look at the release trailer, browsed through a bit of the MOTHER 3 Miiverse, shared a lot of fan art, and more. We also talked about the chances of an official release, as well as pogs and 90s fads. It was a pretty goofy, fun stream. Thanks to everyone who stopped by!

12 Comments to Celebrating MOTHER 3’s Japanese Wii U Virtual Console Release

EdgeTheLucas said on Dec. 17, 2015

It took many months after the initial announcement of Mother 2’s Japanese Wii U VC release for EarthBound to be announced for a western Wii U VC release. I hope that within a year we’ll see some kind of announcement from Nintendo that Mother 3 will make it overseas as well.

I hope those Miiverse requests for a Western release work as well as they did for EarthBound’s eventual international release, in any case. Maybe it will take longer because Nintendo doesn’t have a canned translation of Mother 3 in English, and they might not want to use Mato’s fan translation, but it’s worth hoping for anyway, I think.

. said on Dec. 17, 2015

Please let it happen, or else i won’t be happy

swifter43 said on Dec. 17, 2015

i’m sure we’ll get some official announcement about mother 3 but it won’t be the release of it, just another one of those apologies for it not being in the U.S. and that’s it

Anonymous said on Dec. 17, 2015

I would like to know where can I get that eshop card

Mother2fan said on Dec. 17, 2015

Hell, I know a little Japanese, I wish they would stop region-locking things so I could buy the game at least in Japanese. And if they translated the game anew, I don’t think it could ever be as good as Mato’s.

WorldBound said on Dec. 17, 2015

Join #Operation WorldBound! We’re a fangroup dedicated to getting nintendo to release MOTHER 3 world wide! Join today! NNID: OpWorldBound

BusterTheFox said on Dec. 18, 2015

Well, if this works, it’s going to take longer than last time. Even if they use Mato’s translation, I imagine they’ll still want to do the programming work from scratch. After all, even the fan translation, for all its awesomeness, has a few glitches in it (Like hitting L and R too quickly when your item menu is decently populated)…

I feel hopeful, but I still think I’d cry tears of joy if it were to finally get released in English officially. It would tell a story about Nintendo catering to fans, but at the same time, why did it have to take so long for it to finally come to pass? …Well, aside from the supposedly horrendous text programming making it hard to localize. But then, they actually went to the trouble for the first two games at least.

My final thought: If it does come out, I wonder if they’ll call it Mother 3 or give it a different name or perhaps a subtitle. I think Mother 3 as a game/title is pretty well-known in America (infamous, even). But then, there are sure to be those who wouldn’t connect it to EarthBound at first. Well, that’s up to Nintendo’s marketing department, I guess!

. said on Dec. 18, 2015

It’s pretty much of nitendo’s little crap they have. I would like it, but I need to beat Earthbound first. And buy Earthbound beginnings, too. That is how I can wait for Mother 3’s international release..

Guys come on said on Dec. 26, 2015

What is with the lukewarm response to this? We are Mother fans are we not? This is our absolute LAST AND MOST VITAL CHANCE to make Mother 3 happen in the west. BOMBARD THIS. BOMBARD IT IMMEDIATELY. They KNEW this would happen when they succumbed to Mother 2 on VC. This is the exact same thing, and the ball’s in our court to make the scenario happen again.

StarmanAlex said on Dec. 26, 2015

LET’S MAKE A PETITIO- Oh wait, that’s stupid.

Uh, EVERYTHING EVERYONE ELSE SAID WE SHOULD DO!!!

Kyle said on Jan. 2, 2016

If Mother 3 is released on VC, it will probably be Mato’s patch, because I’m pretty sure NoA (Nintendo of America) doesn’t have time/doesn’t care enough to make a full, official localization. Another reason is because NoA probably have taken notice of the offer Mato made to them, and since they know we’re pretty familiar with it, they might choose to go after what the fans already did. Plus, as Mato said, other companies have done the same thing, even though Nintendo hasn’t done this before. Here’s hoping! 😉

. said on Jan. 11, 2016

tell me those games above!