November 24th, 2015 | Interviews, Itoi, MOTHER 4

A Japanese MOTHER 2 event is currently being held for a few weeks (more details here) and one thing that came out of it was a really great interview with Shigesato Itoi about the MOTHER series. You can find the original Japanese interview and article here.

Unfortunately I don’t have time to translate the interview, but Kotaku did post a tiny translated snippet that explains why Itoi has no plans for any more games in the MOTHER series. You can read about his reasoning here.

Some other topics that come up in the full interview:

• Itoi talks about Camp Fangamer
  • He also talks a bit about foreign fans, which makes sense given that he met with a bunch of Fangamer guys again just the other day
  • He touches on the quality of EarthBound’s localization
  • He talks about Mr. Saturn speech and their fonts
  • He wants a Mr. Saturn amiibo, is reluctant to do a Mr. Saturn iPhone case
  • He discusses the idea behind praying and the flashbacks in the final battle of EarthBound
  • Pokey/Porky is Itoi’s favorite character
  • He says foreign fans seem convinced he’s secretly working on a Mother 4 and that he’s been lying that he won’t make a fourth game
  • Itoi discusses Iwata’s passing
  • He discusses why he’s stepped away from games lately
  • Itoi discusses apps he’s working on that aren’t games but are the closest thing to games, including apps for sharing info about lost dogs and cats (a big thing he does on his Twitter account already)

Lots of topics in such a short interview! I’m secretly hoping that someone out there will have the time and skill to translate it in full 😛

16 Comments to Itoi Reconfirms He Won’t Make Any More MOTHER Games

Fred Bounder said on Nov. 24, 2015

We deserve another masterpiece from Itoi :'(

Venus said on Nov. 24, 2015

it was confirmed 7 years ago.I mean two years since first Japan only release of MOTHER 3 on GBA.It’s not surprise to me

LucasPSI said on Nov. 24, 2015

That’s fine. I wouldn’t want another game from him anyways. All he seems to care for anymore is Mother 2 so if we did end up getting a game from him it would have probably just been something like a crappy Mother 2 remake.

EdgeTheLucas said on Nov. 24, 2015

“He says foreign fans seem convinced he’s secretly working on a Mother 4 and that he’s been lying that he won’t make a fourth game”

Really? I haven’t thought that at all, I sincerely respect that he kept the series so small. I wonder where he picked that up from.

TokoWH said on Nov. 24, 2015

I get the feeling he may be confusing people talking about the Mother 4 fangame with people assuming he’s actually working on an official Mother 4. I’m pretty sure everyone’s accepted another official Mother game ain’t happening. At least, not anytime soon, and not by Itoi himself.

Makes me wonder how he would react to the unofficial Mother 4. It’d be interesting to get his opinions on it when it comes out… IF it ever does, at any rate. /still salty about the missed release dates and feels they’re being too nitpicky about many things

Chivi-chivik said on Nov. 24, 2015

People should stop thinking that there will be an official MOTHER 4. He confirmed that years ago :/

Aside from that:

A Mr. Saturn amiibo would be great! I’d totally buy it!
And I can perfectly understand why Porky is his fav character. He goes under one of the most amazing character developments I’ve seen in games. -w-

DJMankiewicz said on Nov. 24, 2015

I suspect we don’t know what sorts of e-mails he’s been getting from the west. We’re all pretty well behaved here, but I’ve seen a lot of the terrible terrible horrible hatred that people can send to someone who, say, changes the stats on a gun in some FPS in a way they didn’t like. It is soul melting.

I just get so horrified at the notion that this kindly old Japanese man might be getting even a fraction of that internet hate…

The truth is, when it comes to Mother 4, the power was in us all along! There’s been a huge number of games attempting to capture that same magic. Many will stop at the “quirky” bit and not come close, but that’s to be expected. Recently, a few wonderful games like Undertale have truly captured that spirit in an amazing way. Itoi himself has been quoted as saying Animal Crossing is Mother 4 (metaphorically). The fan-made Mother 4 project also seems to be doing a good job capturing the spirit. I still think they shouldn’t use that name, for oh so very many reasons, but it does look like they’re doing a good job.

Bionicfemme said on Nov. 24, 2015

I was so surprised when he said that Pokey was his favorite character! I’ve tried really hard to see more about what makes Pokey interesting, but I just find him to be a mean, spiteful kid.

Star and Moon said on Nov. 24, 2015

It’s not that big of a deal that Itoi isn’t making Mother 4, because the Mother 4 fangame is almost finished.

EdgeTheLucas said on Nov. 24, 2015

@DJMankiewicz

I can confirm that Undertale really does feel like another Mother game, or at least it proudly uses the same spirit the games had. It’s so very good.

I also can’t wait for the Mother 4 fangame, even if it’s been “almost finished” for a long time, haha.

Sat said on Nov. 25, 2015

Fangamer in Japan! Lucky them. What’s going on behind the scenes? They’re coming back with the EarthBound 64 prototype, aren’t they ?? 😀 😀

Venus said on Nov. 26, 2015

[QUOTE]

In any case all I really hope for nowadays is a worldwide release for the Mother trilogy. Seeing how at the very least we have both Mother 1 and EarthBound released even in PAL territories, I hope Mother 3 follows suit soon enough. Perhaps next year, as it will have been 10 years since Mother 3’s release since then.[/QUOTE]
It’s like Half-Life 3 cliche.

Star and Moon said on Nov. 26, 2015

@EdgeTheLucas Oh yeah. I just re watched both trailers for the Mother 4 fangame and they both list release periods that have long passed…

Well, you know what they say, the longer it’s in development, the better it’ll be. (hopefully)

Gaben said on Nov. 27, 2015

Hopefully after 100 years of development it’s been worth the weight

Tuxedo Unmasked said on Nov. 28, 2015

Finally finished the full translation of the Itoi interview, in case anyone is curious!

L.B. 367 said on Dec. 19, 2015

Well, the tittle of the entry makes me sad about the future of oficial games of Mother, at least will be interesting have another type of videogames from Mr. Itoi, just thought.