October 24th, 2015 | EarthBound, Images, Uncommon Knowledge

A couple weeks back I posted on Twitter about how an unusual copy of MOTHER 2 was uncovered. The details of where it came from are unknown – in fact, the only reason it was posted online was so that the owner could try to learn more about it.

1440867309695

It looks like it’s the same sort of unusual cartridge used in competitions like Nintendo PowerFest 94 and in other similar situations:

I think it’s also been used to show off some demos or something, but I don’t know any details. If anyone has any info, please share your knowledge!

I assume that this weird MOTHER 2 cartridge was probably meant for demonstration purposes at some location or event. I doubt it’s any different from the final version of the game… but it’d still be cool to find out for sure someday!

(And here’s hoping that someday something like this will happen but with EarthBound 64 😛 )

16 Comments to Unusual MOTHER 2 Cartridge Uncovered

Livan said on Oct. 24, 2015

Awesome n_n

Clone5184 said on Oct. 24, 2015

This looks cool, but I don’t see how it’d fit into the console. Unless, of course, the slot’s on the bottom like a normal cartridge.

John Enigma said on Oct. 24, 2015

Wow. Looks so weird. And far more different than a regular repro-cart.

Marzz said on Oct. 24, 2015

Might be a pre-release cart that was used for a store to demo the game before it officially went into full production. The unfinished pcb on top sort of leads me to come to that conclusion.

MrRavioli said on Oct. 25, 2015

That looks cool!

Sat said on Oct. 26, 2015

Maybe a store demo indeed. It’s interesting they bothered to make a sticker for such a cart.

EB64 really is the holy grail of gaming, at this point.

Compact Disc said on Oct. 26, 2015

@Marzz
That’s not the strange Mother 2 cartridge. That’s the PowerFest 94 cartridge.

KingDarian said on Oct. 26, 2015

I had the thought a while ago that this might be from a video game expo that Nintendo held in the 1990s called Super Famicom Earth World. It was sort of a predecessor to the more widely known Space World. There was one held in 1994 where MOTHER 2 was featured. Other than that, details have been few & far between.

There are some pics from the event in this Hardcore Gaming 101 blogpost: http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2011/05/early-1990s-japanese-game-expo-photos_10.html

John Enigma said on Oct. 27, 2015

Hey. Off topic but, a few days ago, news are circulating that somebody made some EarthBound amiibos. When are they gonna mention that?

StarmanAlex said on Oct. 28, 2015

@John Enigma

I think you are talking about the fan made ones. They still look amazing, though.

ClancHuranku said on Oct. 28, 2015

Is this game different than the Mother 2 the we know and love?

OKeijiDragon said on Oct. 30, 2015

@ClancHuranku said on Oct. 28, 2015

I sure hope so.

Rachel said on Oct. 31, 2015

Guys, I think I have an update on Earthbound 64!
I’m not lying, I saw a post on Reddit concerning the Mother series and then a person commented stating a friend worked on a restoration project involving the beta cartridges, here’s proof: http://i.imgur.com/Ui0guYm.png
Please get in touch with him, I’m kind of intimidated to do so..

DS Piron said on Nov. 1, 2015

It’s still there, as of this writing, but it’s now been a full year since it’s been posted…

Rachel said on Nov. 2, 2015

Looking at his profile, he seems to be pretty active, so.. I think the posting date wont be that big of an issue.

Anonymous said on Nov. 8, 2015

dude buy a super famicon and try it out