October 13th, 2015 | EarthBound, Images

Many readers have sent me e-mails about a new theory that popped up on Reddit recently – the moles in the gold mine in EarthBound all think they’re the 3rd strongest for a reason:

QoAR4hd

I had never stopped to consider why they all claimed to be the 3rd strongest (aside from just pure silliness), so this is a pretty nifty theory!

22 Comments to The Third Strongest Mole Theory

Leeaux said on Oct. 13, 2015

Hahahaha. I wonder if that’s what he was going for?

R Fisher said on Oct. 13, 2015

This makes so much sense! From both an in-game and out-of-game perspective, all five are equally matched, so winning 50% of the time is exactly what we would expect. If the moles each erroneously take this wins and losses as definitive statements of superiority, and never compare notes, of course they each will believe themselves to be 3rd strongest! Genius.

Fred Bounder said on Oct. 13, 2015

Amazing! :O

Trevor said on Oct. 13, 2015

I remember the first time I fought the moles. I think I assumed that it was a bug and that some of them should have indeed been stronger 🙂

Anon666 said on Oct. 13, 2015

Not trying talk myself up or anything, but I thought this was obvious. To the point to where I always thought this was meant to be the case…

Star and Moon said on Oct. 13, 2015

Well how about that.

JeffShotFirst said on Oct. 13, 2015

Annnnnnnnd. Awesome. Never thought of it this way!
Mind. Blown.

Clone5184 said on Oct. 13, 2015

I guess if you look deep enough, there really is a reason behind every joke.

Meta said on Oct. 13, 2015

A bigger question to this theory is why did this article get published as soon as I finished defeating all five Guardian Diggers?

Conspiracy…

adex said on Oct. 14, 2015

This makes most sense, as there must almost certainly be some sort of feedback system which has led the moles to believe they are ALL below average skill. Research by Dunning and Kruger nearly consistently shows that, in the absence of adequate feedback systems, individuals generally rate themselves slightly ABOVE average, somewhere around 60%.

Anonymous said on Oct. 14, 2015

I always thought as a kid that the joke was because all five of them have exactly the same stats they were all average, so they would each rank themselves right in the middle at third place. I would never have thought to make it into a graph theory problem.

DJMankiewitz said on Oct. 14, 2015

And I thought I overthought jokes. I love it! I’m rather ashamed I didn’t think of this myself. I just interpreted it to be “they’re all egotistical” plus “moles don’t think like people think, so being right in the middle is considered the best for them, like being right in the middle of the earth”.

SecGars said on Oct. 15, 2015

Good to see reddit’s /r/EarthBound is so productive.

G.Wicks said on Oct. 17, 2015

hahahahha, I wonder if we’re overthinking this or if Itoi had this in mind

I always thought it was funny because nobody would ever brag about being third place out of five. “I’ll show you the true power of being third!”

However, the final mole always says something like youve fought the strongest, second strongest, fourth strongest and fifth strongest (weakest) which would imply that all moles didn’t win twice and lose twice against each other, but one mole won every time and another mole lost every time etc.

It’s quite possible the moles are all liars… or just really, really stupid 😉

Anonymous said on Oct. 18, 2015

I don’t think this theory works. There would still need to be some kind of tournament-style setup to be able decide a ranking. If one mole simply wins twice and loses twice and doesn’t observe any other fights, he has no knowledge of his ranking.

Also, in the picture, each mole is only fighting the two adjacent moles instead of all 4 other moles. We have to make those bidirectional arrows for that to work 😉

reply to that guy above me said on Oct. 19, 2015

The arrows clearly point at each mole 2 times and away 2 times, which shows who they beat and who they lost against.

Anonymous said on Oct. 20, 2015

why are we summoning Satan with moles?

KingOfSwords said on Oct. 21, 2015

^ Because it didn’t work when we tried it with mole crickets.

Paul said on Oct. 22, 2015

Pentagrams can be used to summon lots of beings besides Satan, you know.

Anonymous said on Nov. 14, 2015

I always looked at it as a simple parody of bragging villains. It’s pretty common regardless of how strong they actually are. Even in EarthBound, you get stuff like “get ready for the worst fight of your life!” from the bad guys.

So the moles are poking fun at that because they’re almost saying the same things you expect them to, except for them being decidedly average.

. said on Nov. 28, 2015

“I’m the 3rd strongest!” – Guardian diggers

When playing earthbound on my Wii U, They all said that. Thanks creator of the article.

mr. Sir said on Jan. 4, 2016