August 16th, 2015 | EarthBound, Videos

A reader named Glenn just sent in this e-mail:

A CNN article about retro video games mentioned EarthBound specifically by name as well as Zelda OoT, and I thought you’d find it interesting. The article is about how the increasing popularity of vintage video games is causing spikes in cash value. Check it out, dog!

You can read the article here, and it includes this short video about retro game popularity:

The video doesn’t mention EarthBound, but it’s always kind of surreal to see mainstream news outlets cover video games like this 😛

10 Comments to EarthBound Mentioned in CNN Article

Livan said on Aug. 17, 2015

I am glad to hear it and never give up fans as one of you I never give up! n_n

Pollo said on Aug. 18, 2015

I, for one, hate seeing news articles like this because all it does is raise the price of games way beyond what they’re really worth. People read this and begin to think their game is worth something and advertise it as such, even if their game is a common game. Y’all should listen to Pat the NES Punk’s podcast and how people get outraged when game stores offer so little for their common games. Articles like this give people the idea that retro games, in general, are treasure. Considering that the article mentioned Earthbound, I’m betting the average price of eBay sales will go up between now and next year. This phenomenon happened when someone sold Stadium Events on NES for thousands of dollars and it got mainstream press attention. You talk about retro game prices in the media and they go up. It’s a paradox. Media mentions games, prices go up, which causes the media to create articles like the one here talking about how high prices have gotten.

Samka said on Aug. 18, 2015

I know for a fact that one of the leading developers of the game has all 4 cartridges of Earthbound 64, so there’s that.

Samka said on Aug. 18, 2015

Yeah, good one. People making fun of the game like that are one of the reason for why nobody’s willing to listen to the stuff I have to say about it.

Samka said on Aug. 19, 2015

It’s not just one cartridge, @Hugo the Troll, they actually had four cartridges while developing the game. One – which is the actual game – and three others which hold backups for 4 different chapters each.

Samka said on Aug. 19, 2015

Yep, one of the devs has one set of them. From what I understand, there was more than one set of those carts. Pretty sure nobody who has them is willing to give them away for any price, as they’re mostly devs who hold on to them for personal reasons.

Samka said on Aug. 20, 2015

Personal reasons= They’d been working on the game for almost 5 years only yo have it be cancelled, they wouldn’t be willing to just give it off to anyone for any price, at least that’s what I assume. One dev did give it off to other people for a while, but he eventually got it back.

Iwata said on Aug. 20, 2015

So what kind of game engine EarthBound 64 had?Ask CorvidDude,Peter Valencia or Aryokisini(random user only) from Sonic Retro about Fan Remake replica,please

Samka said on Aug. 20, 2015

Well, if you’re talking about a restoration of EB64, there was actually one. An original dev of the game was involved in it, and that’s how I know of the carts.

Samka said on Aug. 20, 2015

Nope, that’s not it. They actually /had/ the cartridges and used them as the basis. After a while they realized that the game was too much incomplete for it to be finished, so they just abandoned it. It wasn’t actually ever announced, as they worked through online communication programs, and they didn’t wanna make it big until it was finished, which it never was.
I read somewhere that it was stated that the game was only finished ’till Salsa’s Chapter (Chapter 3)? That’s not true, they worked at different parts of the game. The original ending’s there, the 3 removed chapters are mostly there and the first 3 were fully finished. Some areas had small rooms left unfinished, while others had entire story-related areas missing. Other than the first three chapters and the ending, the original devs just did random areas, here and there, and hoped that’s it be as easy to finish it as that. For the remake devs, there was just too much unfinished stuff for basically anyone to work with. They tried, and they did finish a few areas, but not enough to be able to proudly release.
That’s all I can say here, but feel free to message me if you wanna hear more, I’d already sent them my online contact info. 🙂

Find Merchandise!