July 2nd, 2015 | Audio Stuff, MOTHER 3

A good while back, I posted about how ROM hackers managed to extract MOTHER 3’s music data in a way that removes the “fuzziness” of playing it on the Game Boy Advance. You can read all about that here.

Anyway, there used to be a big torrent file with all this music, but it’s since disappeared. So a reader named Jaco sent this in a while back:

I searched the site and found a page where there was a link to the Mother 3 soundfont and midis in a torrent file. the link was broken im pretty sure. but a fellow on youtube has redone every song in crisp quality i just thought maybe this was newsworthy, maybe not. either way i thought this guy deserves a mention.

First Playlist:

Second Playlist:

If you’ve never heard this high-quality MOTHER 3 music before, definitely check it out! And if anyone knows where there’s a download link for the full set, let me know!

UPDATE: Hendricks266 has uploaded the music set here if you’d like to download it for yourself.

28 Comments to High-Quality MOTHER 3 Music Playlists

John Enigma said on Jul. 2, 2015

Cool. Now, if only someone would the same with Mother 1+2.

Fake said on Jul. 2, 2015

What about this soundfont variation?

Anonymous said on Jul. 2, 2015

@John
yeah, or maybe not.
MOTHER 1+2 had crappy compressed audio IIRC.

Anonymous said on Jul. 2, 2015

Any chance of getting the torrent back? YouTube compresses videos so there should be some loss.

Anonymous said on Jul. 2, 2015

I’m not sure why, but whenever I listen to the supposed “fuzzy” MOTHER 3 music on a desktop PC, it always sounds way, way worse than it does on actual hardware. I was playing an actual cartridge on my DS lite the other day with headphones and was surprised at just how much better the audio quality sounds on actual hardware. There’s many tracks where I could hear no audible “fuzziness” at all, and the tones were much bassier and “purer”. Even tracks that do still have a bit of white noise sound so nice that after listening to them for a while you kinda just forget that it’s there. I have even played M3 on VBA and the audio STILL sounded way worse than it did on real hardware. I dunno if this is just some sort of placebo or if there’s some kinda of technical reason behind this. Any ideas, Mato or anyone else?

And then there’s the YouTube rips uploaded by Nintendose that I think are giving people the wrong impression of what M3’s music really sounds like, especially since Nintendose clearly recorded off of VBA and then compressed the video and uploaded it to YouTube, which then compresses it some more, resulting in some really… interesting audio quality. Hell, even the rips on Starmen.net’s M3 section seem to be recorded off of VBA, which again, seems to make for worse-sounding tracks.

Also, somewhat related, I hate how the supposed “HQ” version screws up any pulse waves used in the tracks by making them unbearably loud. It even screws up certain special vibrato and stereo effects, I’m guessing due to the fact that all of these are done by the GBA itself, and since this HQ rip isn’t being played back on a GBA…

Meep said on Jul. 2, 2015

OMG I need a download link!

Zelda said on Jul. 2, 2015

So Anonymous you’re keen on original prototype of MOTHER 3 N64/N64DD soundfonts tracks like me?

gBev said on Jul. 2, 2015

@Anonymous: That’s just emulator inaccuracy. Unfortunately between that and everyone using said emulators to rip the audio, people get the idea that GBA sound is a lot worse than it actually is. This applies to many games other than Mother 3.

Now don’t get me wrong, the GBA’s sound is nothing to write home about, but if you use actual hardware and headphones you get a lot closer to the “pure” sound than one might think. And headphones are important, the GBA/SP/Micro don’t even have stereo audio, and the DS/lite still have relatively weak stereo speakers.

Of course that means if you want to listen on your computer/phone, the HQ rip is still your best option. The MP3 set was 3GB alone if I remember right, with the FLAC being close to 8GB, so it’s a bit of a pain to reupload though. I feel like I remember there being a Mega link floating around at some point.

NichoMania said on Jul. 2, 2015

Er..I might sound stupid asking this, but, is it possible to put these high quality versions BACK in the Mother 3 rom? Or is the fuzziness unavoidable? I just thought that, through emulation and hacks, given that Final Fantasy fans have fixed audio to crispness for gba roms before, it could be done similarly for Mother 3.

Miller said on Jul. 2, 2015

>> I hate how the supposed “HQ” version screws up any pulse waves used in the tracks by making them unbearably loud.

Yeah, this bugs me as well. I’d absolutely love a crisp, “HD” version of Mother 3’s music without the static. But the songs always sound iffy somehow compared to the. It’s definitely clearer, but some parts are too loud/exaggerated, others too soft. And after hearing the GBA music for so long, it’s just too distracting. 🙁

Anonymous said on Jul. 2, 2015

I still have the v1.0 torrent in my client that I just started seeding again, but unfortunately seem to be having seeding issues.

Hendricks266 said on Jul. 3, 2015

Hi Mato! I posted the original thread on Starmen.net, but at some point someone reported the torrent files to MediaFire and they got deleted. However, I’ve reuploaded the full sets, both FLAC and MP3:

>Cool. Now, if only someone would the same with Mother 1+2.
The process works, but the result still sounds worse than the original NES/SNES audio.

Gina said on Jul. 3, 2015

Not .sf2?

Hendricks266 said on Jul. 3, 2015

I’ve added a 7-Zip archive containing the MIDI and SF2 data extracted using the GBAmusRiper [sic] tool in 2012. You may have better luck using a newer version of the tool: http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/881/

Gina said on Jul. 3, 2015

MOTHER 3 N64DD Soundfonts plus Kiirobomber rules.There’s curious effect in FL Studio displaying accords if somebody download music album called MOTHER 3+.I wonder how .MIDI files can handle Masked Man Variation,Giygas Theme,Debug Room,Breathe sound.

Nintendo of America said on Jul. 3, 2015

Can you explain me what’s going on with Starmen.net?

NichoMania said on Jul. 3, 2015

Seifer said on Jul. 3, 2015

I second NichoMania question… If it would be possible, that would be awesome. Some very cool people were able to mod the Steam versions of Final Fantasy VII and VIII to put in high quality orchestral versions of the soundtrack.

Nintendo of America said on Jul. 4, 2015

How can I open .gsf gameboy advance ost database in which tool gsf player for unused game beats?

Hendricks266 said on Jul. 4, 2015

>So, is there any way to make the Mother 3 rom play these songs in this high quality? AKA fuzz free?

The Man With No Name said on Jul. 4, 2015

I also have the full Mother 3 hq files as well if there is any issues with Hendricks 😛

Obama said on Jul. 4, 2015

Anonymous said on Jul. 4, 2015

>>The “fuzz” is an artifact of GBA hardware limitations, so that would not be possible without adding hacks to an emulator.

next-gen said on Jul. 4, 2015

Sure why not.

mazoboom said on Jul. 4, 2015

Hi, Hendriks. Thanks for the files. I actually was just looking for them the other day after not being able to find them on my new computer. I found the mp3s on 4shared, but couldn&t find the FLACs. It has been a couple years now, do you know if anyone has fixed the the few problem songs that were in there?

Hendricks266 said on Jul. 4, 2015

>Well Giygas Theme,Happy Green Train,Eerie sounds,Masked Man Varation,Sad Theme,Debug Room isn’t in HQ.

Giygas Theme: “OSV/MOTHER 3 – Unused – ”Giygas Theme”.flac”
Happy Green Train: “OSV/MOTHER 3 – Unused – The Green Train’s Fun, Too! (Looping Mix).flac”
Eerie sounds: Not sure what you mean. Perhaps “OSV/MOTHER 3 – 041 – Cautiously.flac”?
Masked Man Varation: “OSV/MOTHER 3 – Unused – Masked Man Variation.flac”
Sad Theme: “OSV/MOTHER 3 – Unused – Sad Theme.flac”
Debug Room: “OSV/MOTHER 3 – 145 – Lucky’s Room.flac”

>How hard it be to add that feature? Would it be an add-on to the emulator or the ROMs?

The “quick and dirty” method would be something like the SonMP3 plugin for Gens/GS: http://info.sonicretro.org/SonMP3

The “clean” alternative would be engineering something like the MSU-1 chip that byuu (author of bsnes/higan) designed, which works both in higan and with the sd2snes device on real hardware. However, that would take a LOT of effort, and I don’t know if the physical hardware would even be possible in the GBA’s case.

next-gen said on Jul. 5, 2015

Eerie sounds I bet originally after liberating masked man mind and after killing Porky there was planned to encounter third final boss in MOTHER 3 inside Great Cliff.That eerie sounds in 100% I’m sure it’s Dark Dragon awakening.After ruined Nowhere Islands we have Cannibals maybe in Tazmily vilage from EarthBound 64 of course.Maybe that’s negative side effects of Happy Happy Box?

Anonymous said on Jul. 6, 2015

If this is the same as the copy I got before, vibrato and pitch-bending stuff is all messed up. It’s only really noticeable on a few tracks but it’s annoying. Anyone wanna manually edit the midi files to fix it?