Popular Posts:

None found

June 27th, 2015 | Images, MOTHER 1

Over on the Pixel Paint Miiverse, StarmanAlx posted three renditions of what EarthBound Beginnings might’ve looked like as a Game Boy game:

zlCfzTcY8VgHHu1PmQ

zlCfzTcYmC072ULK70

zlCfzTcY0uYreLgWms

I’m always amazed at how Miiverse artists can draw with such fine detail! Is there some sort of special way to draw pixel art like this, or is it all just using a steady hand?

In any case, great work StarmanAlx!

…Now I wonder if any Game Boy homebrew people might try to get something like this running 😛

41 Comments to If EarthBound Beginnings Was on Game Boy

CaptainCrisby said on Jun. 27, 2015

Awesome! I’m pretty sure those aren’t the screen dimensions, and some sprites (especially the font) could use a little work, but it looks like it came out pretty cool!

David B. said on Jun. 27, 2015

This might work using a heavily edited Pokemon interface and color scheme…

Anonymous said on Jun. 27, 2015

@David
that would be way too hard, though. IIRC 1st-gen Pokemon has some crappy code.

Anonymous said on Jun. 27, 2015

Looks like an actual GB

PK_Noose_Man said on Jun. 27, 2015

Looks really cool! Nice work StarmanAlx

StarmanAlex said on Jun. 27, 2015

I now have the courage to make more. Thanks, Cl- I mean Mato! my nnid is alexdyson01, or Ness_the_best

StarmanAlex said on Jun. 27, 2015

Yep, I’m pretty proud of myself. WHAT DO YOU THINK OF ME NOW, ARFY?!?

StarmanAlex said on Jun. 27, 2015

Besides, this means that, even a 13 year old (me) can impress even a gaming giant. You read it right, I’m 13 years old.

Chivi-chivik said on Jun. 27, 2015

I bet you need a TON of patience to make such art on Miiverse. I never got that patience XDD

gBev said on Jun. 27, 2015

I wouldn’t usually say anything, but since this guy’s being oddly uppity about it…

This really doesn’t look anything like how the game would look on a Game Boy. Obviously there are resolution restraints using Miiverse, really when using the Pixel Paint app’s massive pixels (which is almost certainly being used here from the size and palette) but the non-copied bits like the font and boxes are just completely wrong. And that’s not to mention the fact the GBC can’t do transparent sections in the UI, or even rounded ones for that same reason.

I made a quick mockup of what it might actually look like using bits from the GBA game and other Game Boy games: http://i.imgur.com/uxy61ba.png

He did get the 2bit color depth right, but that’s only because of the program that was being used that auto-assigns these things.

StarmanAlex said on Jun. 27, 2015

I’m just really excited about it making the front page.

Miller said on Jun. 27, 2015

Yeah, the display is way too small for a Game Boy. The title’s kinda misleading.

StarmanAlex said on Jun. 27, 2015

I made the screen smaller because of the GB’s limitations. Why do you think Sonic Genesis and SMB Deluxe have such a close up? GB and GBA’s limitations.

Miller said on Jun. 27, 2015

Yes, the Game Boy’s screen dimensions are smaller by comparison to home consoles, but it’s not that small.

StarmanAlex said on Jun. 27, 2015

I do have many more, though. I have about 4 or 5 more coming soon…

KaisaJesta said on Jun. 28, 2015

Given that Starmen’s earliest petition was for EarthBound Beginnings on the Game Boy, it’d be a fun, novel idea for someone to port it on there one day like gBev’s attempt. Sure it’d probably take way more time than it’s worth considering we have the NES ROM, GBA version and the Virtual Console release, but it’d still be fun to see happen.

Leeaux said on Jun. 28, 2015

This is some amazing art for Miiverse. That’s fantastic!

But I can’t imagine playing Earthbound Beginnings on Gameboy, That overworld is so huge and you get so little space on the Gameboy screen.

In fact I’m not even sure how I played Pokemon back in the day.

Gamerz31w said on Jun. 29, 2015

If NOA has no censorship for upcoming MOTHER 3(2006-2008 translation patch) GBA VC.So why EarthBound and EarthBound Beginnings on Europe has censorship(1989-1995) and final sprites animations,huh?Shall they put no censorship for MOTHER 1,MOTHER 2 outside Japan?They didn’t do that.

Dr.Saturn said on Jun. 30, 2015

If it were ported I would totally play it

Paul McCartney said on Jun. 30, 2015

MOTHER 1,MOTHER 2 had censorship outside Japan and now MOTHER 3(had different width of stage details and unused game contents) will have recycled scrapped sprites,items,texts,animations and music plus no censorship outside Japan.Anyways can I provide some way of MOTHER 3 Hacks legal officials not pirated scams?I made EarthBound 2 Demiforce Hack.

StarmanAlex said on Jul. 1, 2015

Dr. Saturn, I just tried to make the port by hacking Pokemon Yellow, and gave up on the sprites. I’m pathetic. Psyche. But still, Anonymous is right, 1st gen DOES have sh*tty coding.

StarmanAlex said on Jul. 1, 2015

Hooba Dooba I made it to the TOP 4 W00T.

game4brains said on Jul. 1, 2015

Given the porting of Ducktales from the NES to the Game Boy, I assume that a Game Boy port of EarthBound Beginnings wouldn’t really change the sprites’ designs at all. Since the Game Boy and GBA have identical screen sizes, I assume that a Game Boy port of EarthBound Beginnings would just be the GBA port of MOTHER in monochrome. Nevertheless, I think that this sprite work is actually somewhat impressive; I don’t think I would ever be able to make something like this!

Fake said on Jul. 1, 2015

I bet in future we can in mother 3 sprite editor or it’s impossible to access become granted
More editing tools, such as selection, lines, ellipses, rectangles, etc.
Copy/paste
Undo
Palette editing
You think of stuff and post here

Nintendo of America said on Jul. 3, 2015

If EarthBound Forever After was on SNES?

mariotti said on Jul. 3, 2015

haha just checked this guy’s account he’s a total miiverse dater lmao

next-gen said on Jul. 4, 2015

In Starmen.net there’s no sub-guidelines telling “…don’t bump several mounths thread…”like MOTHER 3 for SNES and…etc.There’s rule”don’t bump threads older than 4 years”like EarthBound 64 character and game plot comparisons.Stop playing with politicians.Of course guidelines are neccessary,but don’t change your minds so quickly.

Obama said on Jul. 4, 2015

Ok.You won.
[img]http://i.imgur.com/WUEpbdk.jpg[/img]
There’s over one month now shall you bring back next-gen account,please?

GSUser said on Jul. 4, 2015

Hey Guys! I Colored The Second Image, Is There A Way To Upload It?

Obama said on Jul. 5, 2015

No, there isn’t. And there was literally no point to have done that. This was meant to be in black and white.

GSUser said on Jul. 5, 2015

Too Bad. Also I Colored It Just For Fun, Not Like Someone Told To Do That.

Alex Dyson said on Jul. 6, 2015

You have my permission to post the picture in color, GSuser.

GSUser said on Jul. 7, 2015

Hi Alex Dyson! How/Where Can I Post The Picture?

Mato said on Jul. 7, 2015

Use something like imgur.com to upload your picture.

GSUser said on Jul. 7, 2015
mariotti said on Jul. 8, 2015

@GSUser the line is supposed to be black, not the colour of his skin. it’s used as a line to seperate his shirt with his pants

Alex Dyson said on Jul. 8, 2015

To me, it doesn’t really matter, the US version has the skin line, and the JPN version has the black line.

GSUser said on Jul. 8, 2015

@Alex Dyson Yeah, I Did That Based On The US Version.

Alex Dyson said on Jul. 13, 2015

R.I.P. Satoru Iwata, he gave me hope, to create new things in life, his words even prevented my attempted suicide. Satoru Iwata, you will be missed by every fan of Nintendo, and you will be in our hearts….

WorldBound said on Jul. 28, 2015

Woah! StarmanALX?! I knew him!

StarmanAlex said on Jul. 28, 2015

@WorldBound

Ah, you’ve finally made it.

Find Merchandise!