February 3rd, 2015 | EarthBound

Club Nintendo, which was Nintendo’s system for rewarding fans who bought lots of games, is apparently closing soon, but if you have 250 reward coins you can still trade them in for a free copy of EarthBound for the Wii U! The offer only lasts a few months, so act now if you can!

This deadline is just for Club Nintendo stuff, though – even after it expires you’ll still be able to purchase the game normally with ordinary human money. You just won’t be able to redeem your reward points to get the game anymore.

23 Comments to Use 250 Club Nintendo Coins, Get EarthBound

BusterTheFox said on Feb. 3, 2015

I went there, it loaded the webpage just fine. I clicked to see the updated list of games and rewards, and it said it’s down for maintenance. xD So I went back to the home page, and it also said it. The point: I loaded the home page literally about 1 second before they took it down. My weird luck!!!

Still, this was helpful to me. You just let me know that they have added all the new rewards! I wasn’t sure WHEN in February it would be, they only said “sometime” in Feb….

Of course, I grabbed EB when it first came out, just to show my support. I couldn’t even afford it, I had to make due with less that month. xD Worth it, though. But yeah, I KNOW I’d be getting it now if I hadn’t back then.

BusterTheFox said on Feb. 3, 2015

To anyone else having trouble with Club Nintendo: I don’t think it’s actually down, it just tells you that when they can’t connect you. I think it’s probably just being overloaded with members trying to redeem points on the new stuff. I reloaded it and it worked, then it didn’t work, it can’t seem to decide. So, yeah. You’ve been warned.

Anonymoose said on Feb. 3, 2015

It would be better if it was made available for the 3DS since I DONT OWN A FREAKING WII U!!!

Mariana said on Feb. 3, 2015

Agree with anonymoose

refat17 said on Feb. 3, 2015

I only have 180 points 🙁

Justin said on Feb. 3, 2015

You guys are aware that they sell the Wii U in stores? You can go get one any time you want.

Anonymoose said on Feb. 4, 2015

Dear Justin,

Good for you that you apparently have had the money to already buy and enjoy a Wii U but please get that privileged attitude out of here where you make it seem so easy to get one because not everyone has the money to do so.

Kind regards,
the people that don’t own a Wii U (yet).

Xi said on Feb. 4, 2015

For some reason I keep getting logged out whenever I go to this post; all of the other ones work fine, just this one.

First, the Wii U has been out for over two years. It doesn’t make you privileged to own one at this point.

More on topic, I own a PS Vita and a PS3, and each time I purchase a game from their virtual console equivalent not only is it permanently tied to my account (as opposed to just the system), but I can download it to the PS Vita, the PS3, as well as the PS4 when I eventually get one.

I’m often left confused why Nintendo continues to leave their Virtual console in such an atrocious state. The 3DS has more processing power than the N64, but its small library is mainly comprised of old game boy games. Not to mention how titles you purchased on the Wii (i.e., Super Mario RPG) cannot be re-downloaded and played natively on the Wii U.

My greatest hope is that Club Nintendo is going away to make way for a robust account experience like PSN, but the big N has let me down before.

Xi said on Feb. 4, 2015

Hmm it logged me in anyways. I sense an evil alien force attacking the site from the past…

Anonymous said on Feb. 4, 2015

@Anonymoose
You rock.

gooieooie said on Feb. 5, 2015

Hahaha, looks like they still have that typo I sent in a while back! 😀

“A boy names Ness”

KingMike said on Feb. 5, 2015

I agree they should they should fix that.

Courageous girls can name Ness too and vow to save the planet from alien destruction, too. 🙂

MadDuckling said on Feb. 7, 2015

It’s too bad that I paid for Earthbound just a few weeks before… And finished it, too.
Oh well. I was able to SMAAASSH away, so I’m good.

ebfreak101 said on Feb. 9, 2015

Lol privlidged? Get a job you bum, dont whine about it. I had to buy my wiiu with my own money, and im probly the brokest person you’ll ever meet. stop pissing and moaning.

φακ γιου said on Feb. 10, 2015

@ebfreak101
you obviously live in a wealthy country.
Did you know there are other countries too?

ebfreak101 said on Feb. 10, 2015

Noooo… I had no clue. Stop whining, you can do anything if you set your mind to it. With enough determination I guarantee that you can get one.
Just save up.

ebfreak101 said on Feb. 10, 2015

I get paid 4.25 an hour as a dishwasher, if i’m lucky I’ll get tips, so don’t even try to pretend i’m payed well, less than the legal wage.

OtherLurkingBlue said on Feb. 10, 2015

No, not everyone can afford a Wii U. Not everyone has an extra $300. Many people NEVER have an extra $300. You don’t know what another person’s life is like, so stop being judgmental, self-righteous, and insulting.

Some people have children, thousands of dollars of medical expenses, or perhaps they’re taking care of a sick relative.

Insulting another person’s financial situation really makes you the lowest life form on the planet. Keep it to yourself.

Xi said on Feb. 11, 2015

“Not everyone has an extra $300.”

No, but saving up $300 over the course of a few years is not a great feat, even if you do make minimum wage.

Although I don’t care for ebfreak101’s attitude, I also don’t care for the notion that everyone who has a Wii U bought one with the extra money they had lying around after a paycheck. Although there are truly some charmed people out there, most people have financial obligations whether it be bills, family, medical expenses, Uncle Junior’s bail money, etc.

When you actually look at where your money is going, most people can scrounge up $25 in a month, whether it be due to simply putting aside a little under a dollar each day, or forgoing eating out once or twice. So here’s what you do:

Pay for items the way grandma and grandpa used to. Take an envelope, and put $25 in it by the end of February. By the end of next month, put another $25 in. Never take any money out of the envelope. By the time Christmas rolls around, you will have your Wii U money and can buy one for yourself.

ebfreak101 said on Feb. 12, 2015

@otherlurkingblue
why don’t you keep your whining to yourself?
All i was trying to say is to just set your mind to it and save.
I apparently have no bills and don’t have a family to feed just because i could afford a wiiu?
no i saved up, and i assure you I didn’t just have an extra money laying around, it took me a year. I was in no way insulting anyone.
so good sir I assure you I’m not some lower lifeform. I’m actually realy generous. Just save and stop using that crutch.

FlyingManCourage said on Feb. 13, 2015

Tomato you are so awesome for posting this. I had 140 points just sitting there I thought they were going to go to waste until I read this article.

I did not know that Earthbound was available as a reward. Luckily I had a couple unopened games I hadn’t gotten around to, yet (I have a lot of those on the shelf) and I redeemed their coins and now I have 270 points and am waiting for the website to let the order go through. 🙂

Now I just have to get a Wii U. lol

Also, I’m not sure anyone was insulting anyone but let’s agree that arguing over money is petty. Hopefully, anyone who doesn’t have a Wii U yet can get one eventually and anyone who already has one is enjoying it. No reason to be giving anybody grief over the items they own or don’t own. That’s childish anyway you look at it.

φακ γιου said on Feb. 13, 2015

@ebfreak101
an extra $300 for something good is different from an extra >$300 for a console that has so few good titles, for over $70 each. It’s not an extra $300 for books or useful hardware; essentially, it’s a waste. Also, underage people cannot do much to improve their financial state. Set a better example than that of a smug dishwasher.

Mato said on Feb. 13, 2015

This arguing is pointless. Sometimes there are arguments worth having, but this isn’t one of them.