February 7th, 2015 | EarthBound

A couple weeks ago, a new game called Citizens of Earth was released on Steam and possibly elsewhere. Since the very beginning it was touted as being heavily-inspired by EarthBound. I haven’t played it but just from random screenshots I can kind of see it.

258910_screenshots_2015-01-20_00004 258910_screenshots_2015-01-25_00001

There are apparently even EarthBound references in the game that fans will pick up on:

2015-01-21_00009

I have yet to play the game, but lots of people have been recommending it to me. Let me know and maybe I’ll stream it one of these days if it’s worth a play!

21 Comments to Citizens of Earth is Kinda Like EarthBound?

Bionicfemme said on Feb. 7, 2015

This game is so good! I was just playing it this morning. It takes a little while to warm up to, but the humor is really funny and there are tons and tons of Earthbound references. I do think it’s probably one of the most Earthbound-y games to come out since EB (although nothing will be quite as good as the original.) 🙂

Vook said on Feb. 7, 2015

Really dislike the game. Unlike other Mother-like games (Undertale, LISA), this one just seems like a clone that doesn’t understand what made Earthbound good. Jokes are pretty bad: puns, references or dialogue with WAY too much set up. I haven’t played it for too long, but after the first hour I don’t want to come back to it.

Zaxtur said on Feb. 7, 2015

It’s obviously very heavily inspired by EarthBound, which is cool. However it’s a pretty mediocre game. Not bad, but not very impressive either. Just sort of… meh.

Zaxtur said on Feb. 7, 2015

P.S. It’s available for PC, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, and 3DS.

Anonymous said on Feb. 7, 2015

I absolutely love the game but it’s extremely buggy and crashes a lot still.

JesusLovesNess said on Feb. 7, 2015

Thanks for telling us about this Tomato!! I think I am might get it, I’ve been dreaming about playing a new EB type game. This might just be a dream come true…

Dr.x said on Feb. 8, 2015

I am surprised you didn’t say anything about this sooner. The game is fun but it has a lot of glitches and bugs and when I played the game crashed a ton. If it were not for the autosave feature I would have never completed it. But if you have the endurance it is a really fun game. They even made a reference to the scene in Earthbound where the cops gain up on ness and one of the officers says his name is “strong” and he has to beat you up if he hopes to make captain someday. I totally predicted who the final boss was going to be though. Also the final fight is an Earthbound reference in itself because of the way the boss gets killed sort of like the praying thing that kills giygas.

AConcernedGamer said on Feb. 8, 2015

Autosave helps a great deal with the glitches… however, THERE IS A SAVE-CORRUPTING GLITCH!

I repeat:

THERE IS A SAVE-CORRUPTING GLITCH! If you trip this glitch, you will need to start over from the beginning.

In the Capitol Building, when you have to make your way through security, you can enter a blue building before talking to the Chief of Security. Normally, the game will try to stop you from entering the blue building before you talk to the Chief of Security, but it does a poor job of enforcing it. If you enter the building and talk to the Toupee Eagles on the 3rd floor, the sequence will be broken and you can never get the prompt from the Chief of Security, rendering Chapter 2 impossible to complete.

According to some Miiverse posts, this game’s Facebook page (which I have yet to find directly) states that a patch for the random lock-ups has been sent to Atlus for testing, so before long, the patch should be published on the consoles’ electronic stores.

Justin said on Feb. 8, 2015

Possibly elsewhere? C’mon it doesn’t take that long to figure that out.

Adelinax said on Feb. 9, 2015

The visuals are pretty lackluster but I like the jokes and the voice acting for the most part. The over-the-top jokes remind me a lot of playing Sam&Max Hit the Road way back when.

It’s quite similar to Earthbound in its caricaturization of modern American politics/culture/etc. but it doesn’t seem like it is trying to BE Earthbound.

So far it’s only frozen on me once and autosave kept it from being that bad (been playing on 3DS). Worth every penny of the ca. $10 I paid.

Dr.x said on Feb. 9, 2015

@Adelinax: save often and try not to rely on the auto save feature too much because of what AConcernedGamer said. Also I figured it out if the game does keep crashing at a certain set point try again with different party members it helped me get past some points of the game that would crash every time I tried to do whatever it was I was doing.

Thisnamestinks said on Feb. 9, 2015

Citizens of Earth is definitely Earthbound-inspired (it even directly references it once or twice, like a news article talking about a kid beating up on animals with a cracked bat), but overall, it doesn’t feel all that similar. It has more of a gameplay focus, since you spend a good 3/4ths of the game in combat, since the areas are so packed with enemies that they’re tough to avoid. It can also get pretty grindy if you want to use more than the same 3 citizens the entire game (which is both encouraged by the large amount of them, and required for some game sidequests/achievements). The game’s humor and dialogue is pretty enjoyable, though its sense of humor actually didn’t feel especially Earthbound-like to me; its humor and overall style felt much more comparable to something like Spongebob, which is still good, but very different. Don’t get me wrong though, the game’s still pretty good, I just feel it’s very different from Earthbound, and at least for me, kind of pales in comparison.

One Earthbound-like game that came out recently (and that I personally liked a lot more) is LISA, which recently released on Steam. It’s got some differences from Earthbound as well (a lot more dramatic and creepy for one thing), but I felt like its humor and character design was much more comparable, since it’s got a similar feeling of weirdness. It also has a good mix between goofy off the wall stuff and more serious and dramatic scenes, which reminded me a lot of Mother 3. The game seems very liked by most that played it (with many others also comparing it to Earthbound, and the creator even admitting it was a big inspiration), but surprisingly, I’ve seen no mention of it on any of the Earthbound fansites, which is pretty disappointing, since it’s an excellent game I think many Earthbound fans would like.

Another really neat Earthbound-like game is Undertale, but that only has a demo currently. The demo’s really neat and meatier than usual, but it’s hard to judge the full game when it’s not out yet.

Parkraft123 said on Feb. 10, 2015

Eh, theres an officer in the game named “Officer Strong” Who says he’ll need to win a fight or something like that if he wants to become captain…

Mattiac said on Feb. 11, 2015

Mato-san, do you own the game? Otherwise I want to buy it for you! Is it possible even though we are not Steam-friends?

Arcandius said on Feb. 15, 2015

I expected for a Earthbound-like a really very good game, I was disappointed but can’t say it’s a bad game.

PokemonGod777 said on Feb. 17, 2015

I saw the game thinking of Earthbound, and played it like it was its own game and was very impressed with it

N64DD HD said on Feb. 18, 2015

As I said I need support if you want EarthBound 64 back.Aryoksini is remaking Super Mario 64.

Xi said on Feb. 19, 2015

@N64DD HD

What does Aryoksini remaking Super Mario 64 have to do with Earthbound? Do you have more info to share than two unfinished screenshot recreations? Where is support needed?

In other words, more information please. :o)

Xi said on Feb. 19, 2015

As for Citizens of Earth, it’s probably the most fun I’ve had playing a game in a while. If you go in hyped-up and thinking this is going to be “Mother 4”, you will be disappointed. If you go in expecting a game that is unique, yet clearly draws *inspiration* from a mixture of mid-90’s RPGs (Earthbound chief among them), you’ll have a great time.

I love that it uses Steam’s cloud save feature so I can pick up my save right where I left off whether I’m on my home desktop, my laptop, or my work machine (during lunch only… promise!).

I hope games like this become very popular so we can see more of them. Thanks for recommending LISA, I’ll have to check that one out as well.

neonix said on Feb. 19, 2015

Ohh, a multi-platformer. Maybe I’ll pick it up for 3DS. Seems like it’d be the most fun an a portable for me.

J said on Mar. 22, 2015

I actually really liked this game. The look and style are very earthbound inspired, and there are a ton of references, but the game stands up very well on its own. The gameplay was really well done, because it seemed like they said “what are all of the potential problems in a game with a lot of recruitable characters and made the game to address all of these issues. I also thought the battle system was well made to make the characters all useful (there were some that we’re easier to use than others, but no one felt worthless). It’s true that there were a fair amount of bugs, but as has been stated, if you save often you probably won’t become too frustrated. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a good RPG.