January 26th, 2015 | EarthBound

In EarthBound, Orange Kid is working on a silly invention to turn boiled eggs back into raw eggs. We all had a good laugh.

But now chemists have just accomplished that in real life! Check it out here!

Thanks to crabbyRhys for the tip!

16 Comments to Orange Kid’s Invention Becomes Real!

Leeaux said on Jan. 26, 2015

I don’t even know what to say. I thought the whole joke of it in Earthbound was that it was useless.

Someone was actually paid to figure this out!?

TragicManner said on Jan. 26, 2015

Wow, we all really owe Orange Kid an apology… I was such a jerk to that guy, and he was really very brilliant, it seems.

HpBoost said on Jan. 26, 2015

Leeaux, the article described how this was a proof of concept example, but it will be incredibly useful for laboratory biology. I think the finding is very exciting!

JamesBond007 said on Jan. 26, 2015

Next move – create a real-fire Lil’UFOs. Equipped with laser and ice beams. Today, we already have drones – I think creating a Lil’UFO should be possible.

OtherLurkingBlue said on Jan. 26, 2015

Orange Kid. I hate that guy for various reasons.

1) HIs smug attitude toward Apple Kid, the true genius.
2) He took my money and made a stupid egg machine.
3) He never let me USE the stupid egg machine. Just talked about it. Rubbed it in my face.

If Everdread was still around, I’d have him shake down Orange Kid for my money back.

Seriously. I hate that guy.

An E and two 8 said on Jan. 26, 2015

^You know it’s optional to give him money, right?

Anyways, Who would have thought that this was possible? And on top of that, that it would be actually helpful on biology?

Huh, The more you know, I guess!

Minor off-topic question: I can’t seem to get Starmen.net’s page to work, is anybody else having this problem, or it’s just me?

Neko Knight said on Jan. 26, 2015

It took twenty years, but Apple Kid’s dream has finally been realized.

Neko Knight said on Jan. 26, 2015

WHOOPS! Meant to say Orange Kid! DUR!

PsyYogi said on Jan. 26, 2015
OtherLurkingBlue said on Jan. 26, 2015

Yes, NOW I know it’s optional, but when I was NINE YEARS OLD I hadn’t quite figured it out yet.

Leeaux said on Jan. 27, 2015

HP Boost, I saw that after the fact hahaha. It’s very cool and crazy that we can do that kind of stuff. Just funny to me is all!

BlueAntoid said on Jan. 27, 2015

Came in expecting a fan-made Suporma. This, not so much. 🙂

Dr.x said on Jan. 27, 2015

But why? Why would anyone want to do that?

wow said on Jan. 27, 2015

Actually, this sounds VERY interesting. I’m telling the biology teacher.

HpBoost said on Jan. 29, 2015

It is indeed pretty silly – but also fascinating! SCIENCE!!

DJMankiwitz said on Feb. 5, 2015

Leeaux, the problem with that joke, for me, was that there is no such thing as “useless research”. The best example researches like to use is Maxwell’s equations on light. His weird experiments on beams of lights seemed pointless then, but today they are responsible for telecommunications like radio and TV and your cellular phone. More to the point, had someone commisioned him to “make a device that communicates light and sound over huge distances without being seen between source and destination”, it would have been seen as madness. No researcher would have had the needed tools to willingly invent radio communication UNTIL that initial research had shown how light actually works, providing some sort of mechanism an inventor could actually use. This is why “pure research” needs funding. You never know where any of it will lead to. In this case, the process behind unboiling an egg actually seems to have some immediate application for treating disease. I really hope that part gets out to the world at large. News stations have a tendancy to skip over the big parts and just report “isn’t it zany, they unboiled an egg, how silly, silly scientists, what’ll they waste their time on next?”.

Find Merchandise!