Popular Posts:

None found

December 2nd, 2014 | EarthBound, Fan Games

At long last, the upgraded version of the popular “Cognitive Dissonance” EarthBound fangame is complete! Here’s a quick description of the game:

It takes place between the first and second games in the series: after Giegue’s first defeat yet before Ness’s adventure.

It tells a story of Giegue’s descent into madness and the wandering band of aliens who once protected the Apple of Enlightenment, in a chapter-based format similar to Mother 3.

This newly revised and rebuilt edition includes mountains of overhauled graphics, an original soundtrack, and many new and expanded areas to explore.

You can download the game here and see the trailer video here:

You can also share info, tips, and questions about the game here, as well as fan art!

24 Comments to Mother: Cognitive Dissonance 2.0 Released

Dr. V0ID said on Dec. 2, 2014

YES!!! YES!!! ALL MY YES!!! THE WAIT WAS WORTH IT!!!

ohgreat said on Dec. 2, 2014

“CogDis (unfortunately) requires Windows.”

Just great. Skipping this one.

Justin said on Dec. 2, 2014

You can use virtualbox to run iy, plus its free

StubbornVirus said on Dec. 2, 2014

I’ve got it working on Ubuntu over WINE, though the text is a bit glitched out.

OtherLurkingBlue said on Dec. 3, 2014

This may surprise the rest of you, but not every Earthbound fan is a hacker or a computer science major, and some of us have only basic computer knowledge.

So, when you say “Ubuntu over WINE,” what I hear is “African tribesman drinking merlot.”

I’ve wanted to play all kinds of hacks, but can’t figure out expanding, and the instructions for expanding seem to be written by computer people FOR computer people. Like, if I translated a Latin text to Latin. Which would be self-defeating, yeah?

That’s only an example. I realize this is a stand alone game. What I’m asking is — how does an idiot like me play this on his Macbook?

another doseisan said on Dec. 3, 2014

Yes^^ What otherLurkingBlue said. I too would like to enjoy this game on my macbook!

blahmoomoo said on Dec. 3, 2014

This website has a good explanation on what WINE is and how to get it working on Mac: http://www.davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/

It looks fairly involved, but it seems to explain all the steps very well, especially if you aren’t experienced in doing the things necessary.

It also mentions a few alternatives to WINE that you might want to consider, but those alternatives cost money (that is, they require a Windows install disc and license at minimum).

An E and two 8 said on Dec. 3, 2014

Played and finished this one. Excellent fan game.

The way it tells and links the events of the first two games is very creative. And there’s even some linking with Mother 3!

Worth playing and re-playing. I assure it!

ohgreat said on Dec. 3, 2014

@OtherLurkingBlue
at least it’s good to see I’m not the only one annoyed by the “windows only” part.
Wine (no reason to capitalize, is there?) is a compatibility layer for us on the non-windows side of computing to execute windows binaries. That means it helps us use *.exe and *.msi files. You can install it on mac, as blahmoomoo pointed out. After installing it, you can try running the game. It would be great if everything worked out this way, but that rarely happens. If the game doesn’t work, you probably need to configure Wine, which is not always a so-super-easy-and-quick thing to do ;). It’s worth a shot, but don’t get your hopes up too much. The best would be native compatibility with Linux and Mac; it’s a shame having to do all that for not using windows.

otherhand said on Dec. 3, 2014

Hey, project lead of CogDis here.

Years of love and care went into the building of this odd little creation, alongside very talented contributions from artists and musicians across Starmen and elsewhere.

For those playing it, regardless of whether they’ve played the original or this upgraded version is their first experience with the game, I hope you enjoy it and it makes me glad to see the time hasn’t gone to waste. 🙂

For those having operating system issues… please, don’t take it as a personal attack and bring down the release. No agenda was meant, and if I could provide full compatibility I would. Unfortunately, the engine that was used simply does not give the option.

abutts said on Dec. 5, 2014

I’m enhoying the game so far, but the only thing that bugs me is that there isn’t really a way to change the controller settings. Having to move with the joystick on my xbox controller is painful.

justin k said on Dec. 11, 2014

I have it working on mac with virtualbox. Virtualbox is free and you can find windows XP virtual machines for virtualbox. It runs Windows right as an app on your mac. If anyone wants I can send you my virtual machine with it already installed 🙂

justin k said on Dec. 11, 2014

With CogDis already installed that is

Dr.x said on Dec. 12, 2014

I’m having fun with this game I just wish I could get unstuck and find all the points of power I missed a lot of them. I had no idea of this fan game and I am glad I found it because I was bored and they delayed Mother 4 which I had been waiting for since March 2014.

otherhand said on Dec. 12, 2014

Dr. X: All Points of Power except the final are re-findable in chapter 7 before the obvious “point of no return.” The final one is hard to miss in the first place, but can be briefly revisited after that.

If you check the map on your ship, which you get during chapter 7, it should point them out with pink blips.

Dr.x said on Dec. 13, 2014

Thanks for the help. Once I get strong enough to beat Captain Deepsea I will go back and find them.

Dr.x said on Dec. 16, 2014

Can you tell me where the map is found? I can’t find the third point of power.

P.S. For some reason my account got messed and I had to make another one. I am the same Dr.x.

Dr.x said on Dec. 16, 2014

Messed up*

Ejruss25 said on Dec. 16, 2014

Ah, I remember this game. I distinctly remember being profoundly disturbed by it towards the end. It does a very excellent job of keeping the atmosphere of the aliens of MOTHER.

Crav said on Dec. 16, 2014

Dr. X, if you’re in chapter 7, just check your ship’s console next to Zarbol. Niiue made it available as soon as you came back.

ohgreat said on Dec. 17, 2014

@justin k
no, do not do that.
Sending a virtual machine with commercial software installed is illegal if you are not authorized to do so.

Dr.x said on Dec. 17, 2014

Thanks. I’ll do that Crav.

Interceptor said on Jan. 2, 2015

i cant play this in full screen it says something about direct draw

AL said on Feb. 18, 2015

hey i have a problem with the music. most of the songs play only once … for an exemple: the first time i go in satralia, the music play, but if i go in the hotel and go back in satralia, the music is mute. anybody had this problem?

Find Merchandise!