Popular Posts:

None found

November 6th, 2014 | Hacking, MOTHER 1

DragonDePlatino has released a new ROM hack for EarthBound Zero that changes the game in many neat, interesting ways!

2211screenshot4 2211screenshot2

Mother: 25th Anniversary Edition aims to make Mother much more enjoyable for both Earthbound fans and those playing it for the first time.

All enemy graphics, NPC sprites and tiles are be redrawn from scratch to be more faithful to the clay models. The goofy enemies are goofier and the creepy enemies are creepier. A shiny new font and title screen was added, too!

The overworld has been tweaked to be much less bleak and repetitive, so it’s harder to get lost. There is more scenery, areas are more colorful and confusing areas like Duncan’s factory have been simplified. On the other hand, tiny areas like the graveyard and Crystal Cavern have been lengthened.

There are also a lot of changes under the hood. Enemies will yield slightly more exp and the encounter rate has been readjusted. The “Dangerous Foe” battle theme is used less often and party members will be met at a higher level. DragonDePlatino’s goal in creating this hack was to create a game easier than the original but still very challenging.

And last but not least, this hack uses Tomato’s official Mother 1 + 2 translation, adapted for the NES. Over 1400 lines of text have been altered to create connections with the rest of the series, improve clarity and shorten reading time. This hack will also feature much quicker battle text courtesy of vince94. Battles progress almost twice as quickly!

2211screenshot1 2211screenshot3

You can find the ROM patch here!

73 Comments to ROM Hack: MOTHER 25th Anniversary Edition

Alex Foffano said on Nov. 6, 2014

Nice! 😀

Helpless Guy said on Nov. 6, 2014

Hey, what am I doing wrong? I downloaded the file, patched it with the japanese Nes-Rom of Mother and opened it with an emulator, but all it does is to show me a green screen and continuingly play the first tone of the intro theme…

Mato said on Nov. 6, 2014

I’m not sure, but you might want to try the EB0 ROM? It’s not clear in the description or documentation which it’s meant to be applied to.

patata said on Nov. 6, 2014

This looks great!

DragonDePlatino said on Nov. 6, 2014

Helpless Guy, stop being so…helpless. XD

If you look in the description on that page, you’ll see a section called “ROM / ISO”. The information there will tell you which ROM to patch to get this hack working. 🙂

LucozadeP said on Nov. 6, 2014

This looks really cool!

Baptiste Faussat said on Nov. 6, 2014

Oh my Pork! This is what a Mother official remake should be!

Not More Helpless Guy said on Nov. 6, 2014

@DragonDePlatino:
Alright, thanks a bunch! 🙂
And congrats for finishing the work on this fantastic addition!

Storm said on Nov. 6, 2014

Does this have the Easy Ring/is tweaked for Easy difficulty?

wvlfpvp said on Nov. 6, 2014

This sounds beautifully neat, and I’ll probably give it a shot when I have the time… if the SNES remake patch isn’t finished by then. Then this will come second.

Abraham Lincoln, STEAM Commander said on Nov. 6, 2014

I’m pretty sure the “easy ring” isn’t needed with the tweaks they’ve put into place here.

At any rate, this seems like an interesting undertaking. I’m certainly impressed with the work done here. The only suggestion I have would be to completely rework the encounter system to be more like Earthbound. Sprite limitations on the NES do present problems there, but if something akin to how Zelda 2 handled encounters was attempted, it could work to allow people to avoid more encounters. Of all the aspects of Mother 1, the random encounters is the most dated (and yet, far too many modern JRPGs seem to keep it in place, in spite of games like Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG and Earthbound demonstrating a clear path away from such system).

DragonDePlatino said on Nov. 6, 2014

@Abraham Lincoln, STEAM Commander

If I knew how to ASM hack, that’s exactly how I’d implement random encounters. There could be 5 generic sprites used for all enemies (dust cloud, pulsing diamond, flying creature, humanoid creature, vehicle) and enough room to put them in the ROM. But like I said, I don’t know how to ASM hack or add objects to the game so that’s out of the question. :/

Anonymous said on Nov. 6, 2014

i like this but i really don’t appreciate some of the music changes, for instance the hippie theme on wally and mr bat rather than that nice smooth jazzy theme

that and some of the sprite changes really irk me like the ghost even though some are for the better like fake zombie

this is still a fun hack, but I prefer the original, unless there comes a version with correct enemy music.

game4brains said on Nov. 6, 2014

WOW! This is quite something, if I do say so myself! Some of the graphical changes may not sit well (maybe that’s the nostalgia bias, but I don’t really know for sure), but a lot of these changes seem pretty intuitive. I’d like to see a playthrough of this sometime in the future.!

game4brains said on Nov. 6, 2014

WOW! This is quite something, if I do say so myself! Some of the graphical changes may not sit well (maybe that’s the nostalgia bias, but I don’t really know for sure), but a lot of these changes seem pretty intuitive. I’d like to see a playthrough of this sometime in the future!

game4brains said on Nov. 6, 2014

I’m not sure why my comment outputted twice. Sorry about that. :/

Your Average MOTHER Series Fan said on Nov. 6, 2014

Brandon S. said on Nov. 6, 2014

I agree that modifying Tanaka and Suzuki’s musical compositions was a little too much. That new world map is *gorgeous* though.

DragonDePlatino said on Nov. 6, 2014

@Anonymous

Well, I’m sorry if you don’t like the rearranged battle themes, but I did have my reasoning for changing those:

As for the enemy designs, I used the official clay models:

Anonymous said on Nov. 6, 2014

this makes me feel a little bit easier but it will take some getting used to.

Autistic Pichu said on Nov. 6, 2014

“Thank God people are continuing to find new ways to fix this broken mess of a game!”
The use of the word “broken” here bugs me. It’s definitely an outdated game but the game isn’t broken.

Super Man 64 is broken
E.T is broken
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (2006) is broken

MOTHER 1 is far from an unplayable game. It’s outdated, but definitely not broken.

Anyway, I tried this patch today, and it’s pretty good. The translation is both a combination of the official and Clyde’s translation. Taking the best from both of them and putting it into one smooth localization.

Though one change I noticed so far does bug me.
Could somebody explain to me how Fake zombie sounds better than Pseudo Zombie. Anybody? Very very nit picky if you ask me.

But I digress, this is a fantastic patch, if you couldn’t get into MOTHER 1 in general, this is for you. If you loved Clyde’s translation but missed the NES sound quality, this is for you.

If you want to see a pretty blonde girl who looks closer to her clay model………

(If someone like that exists.)

This is for you.

DragonDePlatino said on Nov. 6, 2014

@Autistic Pichu

Thanks for the compliment! And yeah, I’d agree with you on the “broken” thing. When I originally began this project, I approached Earthbound Zero as an “unpolished gem”.

Also, The choice of FakeZombie over PseudoZombi was to reduce the awkwardness of the name. PseudoZombi had to cut off the “e” because enemies have an 11-character name limit. Likewise, FakeZombie fits snugly into 10 characters without having to drop any letters.

Hp Shout said on Nov. 6, 2014

I am playing it on my retron 5… And it looks INCREDIBLE! Wowwwwww

Anonymous said on Nov. 6, 2014

how’d you get it on your retron

Anonymous said on Nov. 7, 2014

Some pretty radical changes. I might have to check it out some time just to see what is different. Not to shit on your work, but I’ve never had any problems with Mother 1 to be honest. I thought it was fine as is.

But I’m all for new ways to enjoy classics

Esper said on Nov. 7, 2014

Yeah I’m on the “MOTHER 1 is good as it is” side of the fence as well. I truly feel the difficulty isn’t that bad. As long as you keep moving towards your destination, you’ll get stronger and the game won’t take too long.

HOWEVER! It’s cool to see stuff like this! MOTHER 1 has a great story and atmosphere, and it’s understandable if people are turned off by the original game’s unfriendliness. I think MOTHER fans should still experience the original, but this is great if they want to have a fun, more relaxed time with Itoi’s debut game, or if you’re a hardened MOTHER veteran and just want to experience this gem in a new light.

Jdaster64 said on Nov. 7, 2014

Personally, I loved EB0 for what it was, but the rebalancing and graphical changes look awesome! It’s high time I played through MOTHER again, and this version looks well worth a playthrough!

AdmiralCrunch said on Nov. 7, 2014

I agree completely with the consideration of this patch as both polish and very much needed. I’d honestly be concerned about a re-release of this game on the VC using the Earthbound Zero prototype ROM simply because I don’t know that the current gaming demographic would be willing to accept the flaws and keep going.

Something like this is really needed to make it more accessible to more players. I look forward to getting to try it and I’m sure as the community feeds back on it, the patch will continue to improve.

Maximus said on Nov. 7, 2014

Great, just great!
-Fassad the Fadass

EBisumaru said on Nov. 7, 2014

Apparently, the Retron 5 doesn’t support ROMS… http://www.retron5.com/faq/

So that sucks. One way to get it on there would be to use a flash cart.

EBisumaru said on Nov. 7, 2014

Actually, it looks like flash carts wouldn’t work either?? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arcF1vY_3ck#t=10m30s

Hp Shout said on Nov. 7, 2014

Actually- the Retron 5 DOES support ROMS… if you know what to do. Correct that is does not support flash carts, but it can act like its own flash cart.

Do a quick google search- forums out there explaining in detail (assemblergames.com for example).

The key is that the Retron allows you to “patch” a game, meaning that you can load a patched ROM in place of the game currently in the system. It was intended to allow players to run a hack or modified rom of the current game.

The trick is that the Retron only cares if the header of your ROM matches what’s in the cartridge slot. So if I have Mario 3 in the console, I can patch-in any other NES game I want provided it has the Mario 3 header.

To change the header of a ROM you can use tools such as IPS ROM patcher.

This allowed me to play the Mother0 ROM on the Retron 5… and it looks fantastic! Also worked with Mother 3 as well.

Hope that helps

Autistic Pichu said on Nov. 7, 2014

@DragonDePlatino

“The choice of FakeZombie over PseudoZombi was to reduce the awkwardness of the name. PseudoZombi had to cut off the “e” because enemies have an 11-character name limit. Likewise, FakeZombie fits snugly into 10 characters without having to drop any letters.”
Oh yeah, heh. I’m so used to the GBA version that I forgot about the Zombi spelling. D’OH I MISSED!
Also, I don’t know if you did this to make it more accessible to EarthBound fans or if this was because the stats were actually all named the same in each game in the series in the japanese versions. and you changed them to have that same sense of continuity in the english versions of the three games but I noticed the names of the stats are now named after the stats from 2 and 3.
Is this a continuity choice or an Accesibillity choice? Just curious.

Kiwi Drawde said on Nov. 7, 2014

The link is broken.
Is there anywhere else I can get the hack?

DragonDePlatino said on Nov. 7, 2014

@Autistic Pichu

Earthbound Zero originally had really misleading stat names…For example, “Wisdom” actually has nothing to do with PP or PSI damage. It controls how accurate your status effects are, so I renamed that stat to “Status”. The same goes for the rest of the stats. I changed them to be more clear, using EB stat names whenever possible.

@Kiwi Drawde

If you have a Starmen.net account, you can go into the hack’s thread and ask people to PM you a patch. The thread is here:

Felix said on Nov. 7, 2014

Can’t wait to stay up all night playing it! Too bad the site is down for now. Oh well.

Anonymous said on Nov. 7, 2014

Dragon’s actually working on a newer version of the patch that will fix some VERY slight issues missed during the game’s testing. He’ll upload it when RHDN is back up, apparently.

ZUUL said on Nov. 8, 2014

This ROM hack looks great. I’m going to play through it on my homebrew Wii.

Star and Moon said on Nov. 8, 2014

What’s all this “Mother’s difficulty needs to be adjusted!” business? I’m playing the original and I think it works fine the way it is. Stop changing things and leave the game the way it was meant to be.

Nice job on the graphics though. I might play through this after beating the original 1+2 fan-translation on Homebrew.

PSIRobot said on Nov. 8, 2014

@Star and Moon

If you want him to keep the game the way it is, then why do you care about the graphics? And why are you playing through a ROM Hack like the Mother 1+2 Fan Translation? Your statement kind of contradicts itself.

And trust me, the amount of grinding in the game was absurd. Not to mention the difficulty levels in certain places like Mt. Itoi, Duncan’s Factory, and other tedious places.

Trust me on this, the game is fantastic. I would highly recommend giving it a shot after you finish the 1+2 Fan Translation.

Kiwi Drawde said on Nov. 8, 2014

Romhacking.net came back online so I managed to get it.

I’m really enjoying it so far. The redone overworld graphics and map are fantastic!

That being said, I have a few minor nitpicks with the hack which I hope get fixed.

I feel the “[Enemy Name] came!” string should be turned into “[Enemy Name] appears!” or something. The text in a lot of places feels like it needs polishing. I’m also just curious as to why Healing was changed to Antidote when there’s already an item called Antidote.

Other than that, it’s a great rom hack.

Raeb Yddet is utterly terrifying.

DragonDePlatino said on Nov. 8, 2014

@Kiwi Drawde

Hey, thanks for the compliments! And don’t worry, I’ve gotten a lot of complaints about the “[Enemy Name] came!” and it’ll be changed to “[Enemy Name] appears!” in a patch coming soon.

But…what exactly do you have in mind when you think of “unpolished text”? Keep in mind there’s a limit of 21 characters a line so I had to rephrase a lot of Tomato’s translation to fit the text.

Oh, and it’s funny you’d mention Raeb Yddet. Gabe (Mother 4 Artist Co-Lead) actually helped me with that design. 😀

The Mother Brother said on Nov. 9, 2014

I thought this was the hack that used EarthBound’s engine at first, so I was a little dismayed when I patched my EarthBound ROM and it didn’t work. Then I tried it on the EarthBound Zero ROM I had and it worked.

Still waiting for the EarthBound engine hack, but this will surely suffice for now!

Star and Moon said on Nov. 9, 2014

@PSIRobot The difficulty changing elements in 1+2 fan translation are purely optional. I tried playing with the Easy Ring at first but restarted after realizing it was super easy and no fun. I admit that some places are hard but that’s just part of the game.

I’m sorry if I sounded a bit rude earlier but I think the creator shouldn’t assume everyone wants the game dumbed down and at least make the difficulty changing elements optional.

@DragonDePlatino Also do you have any thoughts about adding that bandana that Ninten supposedly wears?

The guy said on Nov. 9, 2014

@DragonDePlatino do you mind sharing a pre-patched version?

The guy said on Nov. 9, 2014

I’m not so good with ROM hacking to be honest.

The guy said on Nov. 9, 2014

NVM I got it to work with a patcher.

DragonDePlatino said on Nov. 9, 2014

@Star and Moon

Well, the game may be dumbed down, but I’d still consider it Nintendo hard. I got a Game Over eight times while beating it for the first time.

And the bandana? Nah. That’s not canon.

@ The guy
Sorry…you’ll have to learn how to patch NES ROMs yourself. Distributing pre-patched ROMs is risky legal business. :/

Star and Moon said on Nov. 9, 2014

Ah, I guess it’s OK if it hasn’t been changed too much. I’ll stop bothering about it. Good luck with future patches.

Anonymouse said on Nov. 9, 2014

The trees in the third screenshot look like Mario pipes, lol.

Venus said on Nov. 10, 2014

When you finish mother 3 for snes just call me..

Venus said on Nov. 10, 2014

i hope you add ”earthbound 2 room” on earthbound hack called ”mother 3 for snes”.

Anonymous said on Nov. 10, 2014

@Venus I think that might be a bit impossible to do/

Lucas from Ilza said on Nov. 10, 2014

Happy birthday Shigesato Itoi!!

Venus said on Nov. 10, 2014

So what about EarthBound 64 as mother 3 gameboy advance hach modification,huh?

Autistic Pichu said on Nov. 10, 2014

WARNING!
(I would post this on Starmen.net, but I’m not a member there so I have to get this out somehow.)

For those of you who downloaded this and haven’t gotten to Halloween (Spookane) yet,
Whatever you do,
DO NOT TALK TO THE GAME ASSISTANT IN HALLOWEEN!
Or to be more exact don’t say yes to the game assistant in Halloween,
Otherwise the game will imitate EarthBound and crash AS WELL AS DELETE YOUR SAVE FILE!

DDP this is something you’re definitely going to need to fix!

DragonDePlatino said on Nov. 11, 2014

@Autistic Pichu

WHOA. Now that you mention it, I don’t think me or any of my four testers went through the game assistant’s entire dialogue tree. I’ll patch this ASAP, most likely tomorrow or the next day.

Grifforzer said on Nov. 11, 2014

Great anniversary hack!

it made me challenge myself to beat the game with a level 27 Ninten, which was at times difficult but awesome.

Thanks again, DragonDePlatino.

damien said on Nov. 11, 2014

i got a bug, i don’t get any money

Venus said on Nov. 11, 2014

You can make EarthBound Director’s Cut aka EarthBound 2 for SNES CD emulator on pc,mac os or linux.Then adding inside building of Fourside easter egg room called ”…planning for earthbound 2…)

Autistic Pichu said on Nov. 11, 2014

@DragonDePlatino:

This is basicly what happened

“If you think you need to stomp all the-”
At this point the text went outside the box and froze the game.

I always try to see as many dialouge as possible in each of the MOTHER games, even if I’ve seen it several times. And thus, I found this. But this game is short so I could easily get back there in a day or something so it really didn’t make me angry, it surprised me if anything.

I feel like I sacrificed my life to save a million people or something.

Except in this case I sacrificed my save file to save a million save files.

Anonymous said on Nov. 11, 2014

in the game, when you beat ennemies you don’t get any money, is it normal?

Jungyin said on Nov. 11, 2014

That’s how Mother games work. Money from enemies go straight to your bank, you have to go to an ATM or other dispenser to withdraw it. While it’s an extra step, some people might find it better since money in the bank isn’t lost if you die. I for one always put all the money I can into the bank after purchases in games that have banks.

Anonymous said on Nov. 11, 2014

thank you very much, for your answere

Ejruss25 said on Nov. 13, 2014

I’m glad someone did this. MOTHER 1 is a great game… but it always felt so… dull in comparison to 1 and 2. I don’t know, but something about the graphics and music made it feel bleak and dead in an eerie sort of way. Alot of people will probably disagree, but that’s just the way I’ve always felt about it.

anon69 said on Nov. 14, 2014

this looks awful
The trees look like pipes from mario.
I looks more like a down graded earthbound than an updated Mother.

Tired of ingreats said on Nov. 14, 2014

^^^^^^^^ Don’t listen to crybaby Mc Dbag, this is a very well put together game.

Tired of ingreats said on Nov. 14, 2014

Maybe I should
make my comment
three lines for no reason to make it look important.

I’m sorry. That jerks comment is really getting under my skin.

DragonDePlatino said on Nov. 15, 2014

@anon69

The screenshots in this article are outdated. I fixed those trees a looong time ago…Check the RHDN screenshots.

Casually strolling guy said on Nov. 15, 2014

I’m so impressed by the dedication that has been put into this hack! It looks so good, and I was feeling the urge to replay some MOTHER game, so hey, thanks for the hard work!

Casually strolling guy The Sequel said on Nov. 15, 2014

PS: But why did you ditch those animated backgrounds you were making, Dragon?

DragonDePlatino said on Nov. 15, 2014

@ Casually strolling guy The Sequel

Adding the backgrounds would be possible, in theory, but that would require some pretty advanced ASM hacking. It was scrapped since I don’t know how to ASM hack, only change content.

SaltyDogs said on Dec. 10, 2014

@DragonDePlatino

I’m curious–how did you adjust EXP. gains or level up curves? Do you level up faster in this version? I was playing the Improvement hack and used a savestate from that to switch to your version. After I fought a battle and gained 2 experience points, I went from level 10 to 14.

Was anything done to money gained too?