Popular Posts:

None found

November 24th, 2014 | EarthBound, Smash Bros.

Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U was released the other day for some countries – alas I only have a Japanese Wii U so I still have to wait a while. I’ve done a few simple searches to see things I’m missing out on, like this new Onett song:

And I’ve heard that EarthBound is finally in the Masterpieces section! …But it starts you at the intro of the game with only 5 minutes to play? If so, that’s a poor choice on Nintendo’s part – I don’t think there’s even enough time to get to a battle unless you’re rushing and already know what you need to do and where to go.

Anyway, i’d love to see/hear/know more about the EarthBound/MOTHER series stuff in the game, so if you got anything you’d like to share, whether it’s pics, videos, or whatever else, please share in the comments!

28 Comments to Let’s Share EarthBound Stuff in Smash Bros. Wii U

Psi Troy said on Nov. 24, 2014

I think that it’s worth mentioning Porky’s new trophy description…

“Porky was just a chubby, selfish boy in EarthBound. When he next appeared in Mother 3, look what he’d become! We might need another two games just to explain how this occurred. Oh Porky, what in Eagleland (or beyond?) happened to change you so?”

Can you guys make an article on this? I would like to see people speculating. I have pictures. If you want the email me. troyforce@gmail.com

Leeaux said on Nov. 24, 2014

Well, strangely enough.

Onett is the only Earthbound stage in the game. Even after they crafted that wonderful Magicant on the 3ds version. Normally I’d be a little offended but most of the stages on both systems seem to be old reoccuring stages. Seems strange to me.

And I also wonder why Onett again? Why not Fourside?

Anton said on Nov. 24, 2014

Man, Imagine if there were a remake of EB where the rest of the game looked this good. 🙂

Hyperstar96 said on Nov. 24, 2014

And thus Smash 4 continues the ongoing tradition of Nintendo knowing almost nothing about Mother.
Don’t you all remember how Lucas had a love interest in Mother 3 and how Winters and Snowman are actually the same place? Those were my favorite parts… <_<

@Leeaux: Have you actually played either game? Why would you think most of the stages are old ones?

Leeaux said on Nov. 24, 2014

@Hyperstar96

I own both of them. Because it seems like a large amount of of the stages are from older games. But it’s probably because they split the new stages across the two versions. So the result makes it feel like each version has a proportionately small amount of new stages.

Dragonwarriorquestsagain said on Nov. 24, 2014

@hyperstar96

It’s not that they know nothing; they just don’t care. Why would they care? Are they afraid of losing 6 fans? Is it gonna stop people from buying smash bros? Nope. It’s nice to see the Mother series in smash bros.

amin said on Nov. 24, 2014

I dunno. So far SSB4 seems pretty meh as far as Mother content is concerned. (Not many complaints otherwise).

C’mon, big N. We’ll probably never see another (official) Mother game. Would it kill you to throw us a bone now and then?

Heck, we don’t even get an Amiibo.

Vern said on Nov. 24, 2014

Finally, after 3 Smash Bros games, we can finally heart Onett music in Onett. Not complaining, but I always found it a bit odd. It’s a great remix.

Hyperstar96 said on Nov. 24, 2014

@Leeaux: Large amount =/= Most. It’s about a quarter at the most (I won’t look up the exact number since I haven’t unlocked everything in the Wii U version yet and I want to avoid spoilers), which is the same as Brawl.

@Dragonwarriorquestsagain: Then why is that the case only for Mother? In a game like Smash Bros. where there’s a ton of detailed and minute representation from many different franchises, Mother is the only series that looks like it was half-assed. Even with the Earthbound masterpiece, it starts you out at the most inconvenient and slow/boring part of the game where you can MAYBE squeeze one battle in if you’re lucky, and there’s this weird black box around the Earthbound logo that isn’t present on any other masterpiece.

anon said on Nov. 25, 2014

@Hyperstar
Lucas had a love interest? O.o When?

Lanneh said on Nov. 25, 2014

We could eventually see more stages (or character skins, maybe?) as DLC later. They’ve said there’s none in development at the moment, but after the Mewtwo and Mario Kart DLC, it’s possible there’ll be more Mother content added at some point.

@amin: I’m pretty sure they’ve said there’ll be an Amiibo for every playable character. They’re released in smaller waves though, so it’ll probably be a while.

Leeaux said on Nov. 25, 2014

@hyperstar You’re taking what I said too literal. But let me replace my “most” with “many.” There fixed.

Hyperstar96 said on Nov. 25, 2014

@anon: According to his trophy description, oddly enough… But no, he didn’t in the actual game, nor was there any indication of such.

@Leeaux: “most of the stages on both systems seem to be old reoccuring stages”
If you don’t want to be taken literally, don’t say things literally. Make it clear that you’re exaggerating or don’t exaggerate at all.

JB2448 said on Nov. 25, 2014

@Hyperstar96: http://nintendoeverything.com/sakurai-addresses-ice-climbers-absence-in-smash-bros-wii-u3ds-and-more-in-new-famitsu-column/
“Finally, Sakurai shared a tidbit about the trophies in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U 3DS. Akihiro Toda – known for the texts in the Mother series – wrote the descriptions.”

AConcernedGamer said on Nov. 25, 2014

While trying to rush through the intro, I found out for the first time in my life that Porky will stop you from leaving if you do not get the Cracked Bat from Tracy’s room (he will let you out with a warning if you have it unequipped). I tried and failed twice to enter a battle before time is up, and I do not believe it is possible to finish the phone call with Dad.

It would have been better to start at the exact moment before the sun comes up so we can hear the intro to the Onett theme song (although that would put Ness in front of the Minch residence and maybe cause people to think Ness has 2 brothers and a pair of abusive parents). At least then the entirety of Onett can be explored, and Ness will never access Twoson before time runs out. Players won’t even be aware of Buzz Buzz.

Leeaux said on Nov. 25, 2014

@Hyperstar96 You completely missed the point I was making by focusing on a small mistake that I already corrected.

Anonymous said on Nov. 25, 2014

Hyperstar96, incredibly literal interpretation of language is detrimental. Stop derailing conversation with it.

Iw said on Nov. 26, 2014

Hyperstar, I looked up the trophy in question you keep talking about when it comes to a “love interest”. If it’s the same one I think you’re talking about, you have read the trophy wrong. It never said anything like that.

It NEVER stated that Lucas had any love interest at all. I don’t even understand how you got that from the Trophy. It comically questioned the idea of Lucas growing up and POSSIBLY finding a love interest in the FUTURE, and then went on to imply this would never happen, becuase Lucas and Ness are pepetually going to be children forever, as far as the immortalization of being fictional characters are concerned.

Here is the trophy’s description: “”Lucas used to be weak-willed, and cry all the time. However, he overcame unimaginable hardships, and must surely be out adventuring somewhere right now. Or perhaps, he’s found a partner and made a family of his own… No, no, that feels too soon. To fans of the MOTHER series, both Lucas and Ness might be young boys for all eternity.”

See? What you seem to misread as them saying he has a love interest was actually a tounge-in-cheek joke, questioning the possibility and then saying “No, that wouldn’t happen after all.”

So basically Nintendo wasn’t wrong, you are. You misread and misunderstood the joke.

Mother/EB said on Nov. 27, 2014

Mother/EB said on Nov. 27, 2014

@Psi Troy I would love more OFFICIAL Mother games. If it would ever come to, I wouldn’t let it pass me. I would feel like the people on Mother 4 and Eagleland were jacked, but then again. They should not have taken the series so quickly as it was offered. I would’ve liked official Mother games to be released on real gaming systems by another Nintendo rep or third party company rather than this.

Mother/EB said on Nov. 27, 2014

Umm, someone please delete the first comment.

AConcernedGamer said on Nov. 28, 2014

It should be noted that the North American English and European English trophy descriptions are different. Both teams localized the game separately, so there may be differences in meaning and/or interpretation.

The North American trophy description is as follows:
“Before adventuring, Lucas was a timid, cautious boy. His journey has made him a stronger person. Maybe he met someone to spend his life with… Hang on—we’re moving way too fast! For now, remember that Lucas and Ness are favorites in the hearts of EarthBound fans.”

KingMike said on Nov. 29, 2014

Don’t have the game but I just tried it on a ROM.
(my party is A, A, A and A with dog A, favorite food A and favorite thing A)
Just enough time I think to get the Cracked Bat.

AConcernedGamer said on Nov. 29, 2014

The Masterpiece does not start at the time the emulated SNES boots up; it starts at the start of the intro (the one that says “The year is 199X”), so their names have already been put in. Like most of the Masterpieces, it loads a save state at start.

chiefjerky said on Dec. 13, 2014

When Ness uses PK Starstorm the same sound used in EB will play at the start

Foppy42 said on Dec. 13, 2014

I made a Giygas stage on the Stage Builder, I thought it would be cool to share the image here!

Kyle said on Jan. 7, 2015

To me, it looks like they literally ripped the Onett stage right out of Melee, not doing any changes.

joe said on Feb. 16, 2015

I probably said this before, but in the UK version of Smash Wii U, it says Earthbound came out in 2013. It’s semi-accurate because the Virtual Console release was the first time Earthbound was released here in Britain, but I would have expected they would say it came out in 94/95. Just a little fact there. Also, am I the only one who finds it funny that there is a Wii Virtual Console on Wii U but not a Gamecube or even N64 one?
And yes, Kyle, Temple was the only stage they touched. They probably did it to keep the Melee feel.