November 18th, 2014 | EarthBound

Fangamer’s EarthBound Kickstarter is set to end in a few days! If you haven’t checked it out yet, some really cool, unprecedented stuff is happening! The next stretch goal is actually something very near and dear to me:

A book version of my EarthBound localization comparison!

(temporary image, final book will look different!)

Believe it or not, I first started comparing EarthBound and its Japanese counterpart back in 1999!

Later, I went on to become a professional translator (see here). I also worked on unofficial projects like the MOTHER 3 fan translation. Armed with my new skills and experience, I redid my EarthBound localization from the ground up a few years ago. It was over a decade in the making and a lot of work, but I finally analyzed the game in full and in greater detail than before!

Ever since, I’ve always wanted to do a book version of my EarthBound comparison, especially since there are a lot of things I sort of skimmed over. Plus, more recently, I’ve actually met and talked with EarthBound’s head localizer, interviewed him, and even talked MOTHER 3 with him!

So this is my chance to finally make a book version of my EarthBound localization comparison and analysis! If the EarthBound Kickstarter hits my stretch goal, I’ll be able to add a lot more info and interesting trivia to create a handy-dandy book, and my dream will finally come true!

What will be different about the book if it’s all online already?” you might be asking. Here’s a quick list:

• I’ll go back and look at stuff in the first half of the game in more detail
  • I’ll cover questions and topics that have sprung up since I finished the site – I might even do a call for questions beforehand!
  • I’ll discuss topics that concern series continuity
  • I’ll include new insights and answers from EarthBound’s head localizer himself!

If the EarthBound book happens and if it does well enough, I’d love to make more books. For example, I’ve already started my MOTHER 3 translation notes, but I think if I could work on them for a book I’d be able to actually finish them:

And I’ve already got the groundwork laid for a full EarthBound Zero/MOTHER 1 comparison:

And of course, if the EarthBound book does well enough, I’d love to give other series the book comparison treatment if possible:

Of course, this will all only be possible if the stretch goal on this EarthBound Kickstarter gets met, and if the EarthBound localization book does well enough.

So if you’d like to help make one of my dreams come true while also getting some cool EarthBound stuff of your own, check out Fangamer’s Kickstarter!

Note: If the stretch goal IS met but you don’t back the Kickstarter, you’ll still be able to buy the book on its own from Fangamer eventually. But backers who pledge enough will get one automatically with the rest of their goodies, I believe.

21 Comments to Let’s Make The EarthBound Localization Book a Reality!

TragicManner said on Nov. 18, 2014

Tomato, I’m really excited about this. Perhaps I’ll bump my pledge to help make this happen, this would be a amazing book to have a copy of!

NinjaCheese said on Nov. 18, 2014

Yay! I’m really hoping this happen!

KyleRXZero said on Nov. 18, 2014

I was very excited to see this stretch goal announced! I can’t wait to get a hold of my copy 🙂 Very excited for the future. You rock Tomato!

Hp Shout said on Nov. 19, 2014

56 hours to go, $12K to the LOL goal. Based on the trend, I think we can close that gap. I’d start writing Tomato 🙂 Can’t wait to read this!

The World Is Square said on Nov. 19, 2014

Hope the stretch goal gets met! I’ll tweet it out and make a blog post about it tonight. Hopefully my meager fan following can make a slight impact.

BOOKS!

Esper said on Nov. 19, 2014

Seeing this, I just had to be a backer. Crossing my fingers!

Hp Shout said on Nov. 20, 2014

Congrats ‘Mato! Just hit 250K @ midnight!!!!

Kyosuke said on Nov. 20, 2014

So awesome that your book is happening! Woohoo!

Esper said on Nov. 20, 2014

Yay for your book! Sad it’s too high a tier for me

Anonymous said on Nov. 20, 2014

This book will be epic.

Jason said on Nov. 20, 2014

I just wanted to ask about the LoZ: Link Between Worlds image. Is that simply a mock-up, or have you done a comparison of that too? I can’t seem to find it anywhere on your Legends of Localization page.

Anonymous said on Nov. 21, 2014

Donated mostly just for this (the Handbook is cool too).
I’d buy a Final Fantasy IV Localization book in a millisecond, I can imagine it being a beautiful mammoth of a book.

Mato said on Nov. 21, 2014

Nice, the Kickstarter made it to the stretch goal! I gotta write a book now 😯

Jason: It’s legit, but it’s not public yet because I only started on it a while ago. I actually have pics/videos/materials all lined up for it, along with fancy site designs and all that. Same with EarthBound Zero and a couple other things – I got far with the early process but didn’t want to make anything public until I had a lot of pages already ready to go.

Anonymous said on Nov. 21, 2014

i dont know if anyone has seen this but the Porky trophy may be hinting to a mother 4 and 5! I could be wrong of course. http://38.media.tumblr.com/b9fe52eb29a26b881d9872ba7f4dac7b/tumblr_nfewqlKKH01rhnmiao1_500.jpg

AdmiralCrunch said on Nov. 21, 2014

This was the the last straw that overwhelmed my common sense and forced me to throw in for the whole goodie set. Really excited even though I’ll have to wait so dang long for my toys.

I doubt it’s practical with the hundreds of units getting shipped, but any chance you’ll be signing your book when it goes out? Maybe for a nominal extra fee?

Either way, I’ve been a big ebcentral fan for a while and I’m really glad I got to help make your goal happen. If you need extra proofers on your existing content, just put the word out! I bet many of us here would be thrilled to have a chance to help.

Also, CONVENTION! Never actually done a convention before but I don’t think I’d be able to resist this. So much win in this kickstarter…

Much love and congrats from all of us.

UbaNess said on Nov. 22, 2014

Congratulations on the Kickstarter success! Proud to be a backer and can’t wait for the goodies 😀

Blue-streaker said on Nov. 22, 2014

What about the mother 3 legends of localization? Is it getting a book too?

Nick97 said on Nov. 22, 2014

But will it keep all the funny alt text on the images?!

I’m really excited for this, especially if you also get done a Mother 3 book. Your notes are a very interesting read!

Anonymous said on Nov. 26, 2014

Are you sure this wouldn’t be a great opportunity to rally the troops to put together a nice definitive localization of the Mother 2 portion of Mother 1+2? The original translation really is fantastic, but it would be exciting to have the full series in one cohesive voice/translation style, and this would mean that every Mother game has an English option. Likewise, this would finally give us in the West a way to play the series that keeps the connections intact, including a single translated name for Porky and Giegue.

I realize that this is much easier said than done, but perhaps enough man power can come together as you work on a final version of your book to do the necessary technical work to make this a reality. I can’t think of a better way to celebrate the new handbook coming out in 2016 than to have a definitive and cohesive translation to coincide with it.

Again, I realize this is a lot of work and it may not be feasible, but perhaps there is enough manpower for one last hurrah to finally have everything Mother/Earthbound available and cohesive in the west.

Mother/EB said on Nov. 27, 2014

@Anonymous I would love nothing better than the Mother 2 portion of the Mother 1+2 GBA cart to be translated. I know every single dialogue tree in EB, but there had to be changes in the transition from Super Famicom to GBA. I could play the game now, but I’d be left unsatisfied because of that. And what really aggrivates me is retroquest making carts of it, knowing that the Mother 2 part is untouched.

Also, you do realize that we already have the whole series in the west? EB0 for NES, EB for SNES (if the price is too high, get Uncut), and Mother 3 for emulation and cart, thanks again to retroquest.

Now, what is this “extra goodies” thing you are talking about? You are saying we get more than the book? I do want to flaunt Mother merchandise at other gamers, but the biggies are 16-bit Ness and Lucas t-shirts, and maybe 8-bit Ninten.

Dr.x said on Dec. 16, 2014

I had fun just reading the pictures just now.