Weekly Round-Up #10
November 18th, 2014 | EarthBound
Fangamer’s EarthBound Kickstarter is set to end in a few days! If you haven’t checked it out yet, some really cool, unprecedented stuff is happening! The next stretch goal is actually something very near and dear to me:
A book version of my EarthBound localization comparison!
(temporary image, final book will look different!)
Believe it or not, I first started comparing EarthBound and its Japanese counterpart back in 1999!
Later, I went on to become a professional translator (see here). I also worked on unofficial projects like the MOTHER 3 fan translation. Armed with my new skills and experience, I redid my EarthBound localization from the ground up a few years ago. It was over a decade in the making and a lot of work, but I finally analyzed the game in full and in greater detail than before!
Ever since, I’ve always wanted to do a book version of my EarthBound comparison, especially since there are a lot of things I sort of skimmed over. Plus, more recently, I’ve actually met and talked with EarthBound’s head localizer, interviewed him, and even talked MOTHER 3 with him!
So this is my chance to finally make a book version of my EarthBound localization comparison and analysis! If the EarthBound Kickstarter hits my stretch goal, I’ll be able to add a lot more info and interesting trivia to create a handy-dandy book, and my dream will finally come true!
“What will be different about the book if it’s all online already?” you might be asking. Here’s a quick list:
- I’ll go back and look at stuff in the first half of the game in more detail
- I’ll cover questions and topics that have sprung up since I finished the site – I might even do a call for questions beforehand!
- I’ll discuss topics that concern series continuity
- I’ll include new insights and answers from EarthBound’s head localizer himself!
If the EarthBound book happens and if it does well enough, I’d love to make more books. For example, I’ve already started my MOTHER 3 translation notes, but I think if I could work on them for a book I’d be able to actually finish them:
And I’ve already got the groundwork laid for a full EarthBound Zero/MOTHER 1 comparison:
And of course, if the EarthBound book does well enough, I’d love to give other series the book comparison treatment if possible:
Of course, this will all only be possible if the stretch goal on this EarthBound Kickstarter gets met, and if the EarthBound localization book does well enough.
So if you’d like to help make one of my dreams come true while also getting some cool EarthBound stuff of your own, check out Fangamer’s Kickstarter!
Note: If the stretch goal IS met but you don’t back the Kickstarter, you’ll still be able to buy the book on its own from Fangamer eventually. But backers who pledge enough will get one automatically with the rest of their goodies, I believe.
Other Related Posts:
21 Comments to Let’s Make The EarthBound Localization Book a Reality!
Featured Item on eBay:
Earthbound Player's Guide Super Nintendo SNES Strategy Guide
- Lvl.1 Chef: Thanks for the shout out! Jammy’s really doing some great stuff and I love that Pork Noodle cup haha. Makes me want to try doing...
- 4am: Cool, very cool. On another note, I wonder how Jeffman is doing with the translation of MOTHER 1+2 currently. I hope he decided to use the...
- PSI MOTHER: cómo me gustaría comer un ramen al estilo de Mother3 ;( bueno.. aunque creó qué es fácil de hacer ya qué mientras me hacía un bocadillo...
- PSI MOTHER: viva MOTHER
- Leeaux: I’m going to eat this all the time now. You could have posted this recipe and I probably wouldn’t have touched it. But you...