Mother : EarthBound Beginnings Figure Strap Collection Gashapon Complete Set (6)

September 5th, 2014 | EarthBound, MOTHER 1+2, Videos

A few years ago I released a ROM patch that translates the MOTHER 1 part of the GBA MOTHER 1+2 release – you can check it out here.

After releasing it, I got a lot of questions about translating the MOTHER 2 side too, but I explained that it would take a LOT of time and work and that I’d prefer to let someone else take on the challenge.

For the past few years since that post, an EarthBound Central regular named Zunar has been slowly but steadily working on creating a patch for the MOTHER 2 portion of the game. There’s still a lot left to do, but he recently released a patch of what he has completed and a short video that shows it off:

You can follow the progress of his work here, and you can download the latest version of the patch there as well.

I assume he’ll have more little updates from time to time, so keep an eye on that forum thread for new versions as they get posted!

30 Comments to English MOTHER 2 GBA Patch Version A1 Released

FabioGnecco said on Sep. 5, 2014

Earthboud Community Are Amazing ! Thanks So Much For Your Effort !

Jimshrimp said on Sep. 5, 2014

Zunar, you sexy beast.

TheZunar123 said on Sep. 5, 2014

I can’t take all the credit, I’ve had quite a bit of help. Mato himself has helped quite a bit, as well as other EarthBound fanatics. Even Jeffman pitched in a bit, without his help the file select and naming screen work would not have been possible.

I’m still trying to find out where that damned Copy option is, it’s either in a stupidly weird place or coded differently than the other things. I’ve looked manually through a hex editor at the pointers but it’s not around the rest of the menu, I tried looking through the debugger but couldn’t make much sense of the whole thing. It just refuses to be found. I can’t possibly ask Jeffman for any more help, he’s already helped enough and I don’t want to bother him more.

We’re still a long, long way away from finishing, so don’t expect the project to be done any time soon.

Mesousa said on Sep. 5, 2014

I keep forgetting this site has a forum…
I kinda wish it were more popular.

gBev said on Sep. 5, 2014

Is this the version that was retranslated form scratch? Not that I think it would be necessary, but unless I’m mistaken that looks like the standard EarthBound text in the trailer.

Also I’ve just noticed there seems to be a line missing in the index.php file for the forum. I don’t know how that happened, or how long it’s been there but…

If you replace:

New posts
with:

New posts
It should be fixed.

gBev said on Sep. 5, 2014

Oops, seems the code didn’t copy in the post. I put it on pastebin: http://pastebin.com/nktAd1C9

dongen man said on Sep. 5, 2014

You should get the romhacking.net guy who did the final fantasy audio restoration patches on board too!

TheZunar123 said on Sep. 5, 2014

Actually gBev, it never was retranslated at all. The “translator” we had was lying to us from the start, he never really was translating at all. We’ve reached out to two or three legit translators but they all deserted us without a word or any translation, except for one who refuses to help us unless we can successfully code the VWF, which is an impossibility at the moment. I don’t want to be disappointed again and the text is mostly the same, so I believe it’s sufficient enough to use EarthBound’s text but modify it according to Mato’s comparison.

About the audio restoration, I could ask the guy, but if I’m not mistaken his personal life is pretty busy and I don’t want to bother him. I might ask him after the project is finished however, just so he doesn’t think that we’re going to suddenly cancel and his work will have been for naught.

gBev said on Sep. 5, 2014

The guy who was translating was lying? Thats… really odd, actually. I feel like I remember seeing a work in progress with the new translation at one point, was he just rewording it or something?

Personally I think using EB’s text, especially with some slight changes to fit the original graphics etc, is a perfectly fine way to approach it.

TheZunar123 said on Sep. 5, 2014

Yeah, he was just basically rewriting the dialogue. Had me fooled for a while, actually. However he did come out and openly admit it and give an earnest apology, so I’m not going to hold a grudge against him. Water under the bridge at this point, really.

Baptiste Faussat said on Sep. 6, 2014

Oh my God, why did he waste so much time on this pharaonic project? The SNES version was far better!

RudyC3 said on Sep. 6, 2014

Restoring the colour palettes (as was done for FF6 Advance) would be truly awesome too because if I’m not mistaken, this game, like many other ports of SNES games to GBA, has a poor case a washed out colours to fit the dark screen of the first generation of Game Boy Advance, right?

RudyC3 said on Sep. 6, 2014

Personally I like that this version is being translated, since the Mother 1+2 cartridge is the only one I own as a physical copy 😛 and I only truly got into Earthbound through the Wii U VC release. Owning the original cart, I could be playing the patch on my phone while I’m on the go, which would be awesome to carry everywhere with me ^^. I have a hard time sitting in front of a long RPG on a home console these days, and I still haven’t finished Earthbound on Wii U :P.

An E and two 8 said on Sep. 6, 2014

Cool. I watched the trailer for this patch. I guess now we can say we have all the three GBA games translated… Well, sorta, since this isn’t finished yet. 😛

Anywyas, Best of lucks on this project!

Anon said on Sep. 6, 2014

“Runaway Dog was TAMED”?!?!?!?

Boooooo

TheZunar123 said on Sep. 6, 2014

Baptiste Faussat: I’m doing the project for two reasons. One so everyone can play EarthBound on the go, as mentioned by RudyC3, and Two because I learn a lot about programming and how games work by hacking this one, and it truly is my passion.

RudyC3: I don’t recall the color palette being changed except for the file select and naming screens which has already been reverted. I don’t know that much about palettes in the game though.

TheZunar123 said on Sep. 6, 2014

Anon: The patch is still in beta. Things will be polished up and fixed by the final release. Don’t be rude. Thanks.

TheZunar123 said on Sep. 6, 2014

One, impersonating me is not cool, and Two, quit being rude. You have no say in what I do or don’t write the dialogue is. Troll harder next time. kthxbai

BB Gang Zombie said on Sep. 6, 2014

Mm, I just want to say that Zunar’s line is more correct as-is than your suggested line anyway. EarthBound’s enemy death texts are in past-tense, while yours is in present-tense.

Most of the battle lines themselves are in present tense, but the effects of them (such as the text for taking damage, and yes, enemy deaths) are not; the distinction can generally be seen by looking at whether or not the game indents the text; if it is indented, it is generally past-tense.

TheZunar123 said on Sep. 6, 2014

That is also true. Speaking of, the taking damage text is still in present tense, I should probably change that. Then again it’s not the same as EarthBound really, mostly because of the way the dialogue is structured in the game. I could go through the trouble of changing it, but I don’t think it’s really worth it. Besides, “takes/took # damage” flows better than “# HP of damage to”, in my opinion.

Anonymous said on Sep. 6, 2014

Just want to chime in that I thouroghly enjoyed the translator debacle. I laughed many laughs when that was going on in the thread. I guess the karma of the situation is that he became quite a hilarious joke. Much support to this hack and lots of respect to zunar for enjoying and learning from it.

Anonymous said on Sep. 6, 2014

Hope the patch will be okay as the Mother 1 side.

BB Gang Zombie said on Sep. 7, 2014

@Zunar, I would do took # damage, but it’s not too big of a deal either way. EarthBound was pretty inconsistent with what tense it was using in battle; it’d be good to go by that present-no indent/past-indent structure just because I feel like it flows a little better, but it’s a really minor thing.

Something people should consider, too, is the rolling HP; it’s better to keep the battle text relatively brief to not hinder difficulty.

TheZunar123 said on Sep. 7, 2014

Yeah, I changed it to “took # damage”, so that’s what it will be in the next update. The indents though really depend on the line itself and how much space is needed in the window, considering there is a lot less space to work with than in EarthBound.

TheZunar123 said on Sep. 7, 2014

You know, I just now realized something that goes along with that. It applies to all versions of the game, not just the GBA version. The slower the text speed, the harder the game is. In a way the game punishes you for being a slow reader.

In light of that, the Japanese version is actually the easiest version of the game, considering there is less text. I never thought about that before, how interesting.

2Sang said on Sep. 8, 2014

Fantastic job! This is why this fanbase is so amaazing.

game4brains said on Sep. 8, 2014

Wow, I’m impressed! The graphics and sound may still be awful, but I’m surprised that someone’s made a translation of MOTHER 2 Advance in such great quality. I like how they now have icons for weapons (a cool way to exploit character limits) and appreciate how Pokey now uses his Japanese, now declared official, name. I look forward to it!

game4brains said on Oct. 1, 2014

To clarify my statement on the graphics being “awful”, I’m referring to how the GBA’s lack of a backlight forced the graphics to be significantly brightened for better visibility. As a result, the visuals looks horribly bleached when played on any system released after the original GBA, including the SP, DS, Game Boy Player, and on emulators. It’s not much, but it doesn’t settle well unless it’s played on an original GBA.

lil b basedgod said on Nov. 12, 2014

dang i love this and thank you for all your hard work. lil b loves you

-Lil B

BreakinBenny said on Nov. 27, 2014

@game4brains Are you surprised the GBA games sound much better when their sounds are extracted through GBAMusRiper? I think it’s fascinating that the limitations force the compression of the sound samples.