August 26th, 2014 | EarthBound, Events, Itoi

mr-saturn-anniversary

Shigesato Itoi updated his site’s MOTHER section with a Mr. Saturn message about MOTHER 2’s 20th anniversary! Here’s a translation of the text, courtesy of good ol’ Chewy:

It’s been 20 years now since MOTHER 2 came out.
…Are you happy?

・Yes → Me too.
・No → Be happy!!

(And Mr. Saturn proceeds to use untranslatable Japanese of course)

“Desu noda!”
(meaning in English: Nothing. It’s just two different options of what comes at the end of a sentence, put together for further gibberish.)

(Then there are some Mr. Saturn icons)

“Feel free to use these icons in your Twitter profile to celebrate the anniversary.”

Chewy continues by saying:

Itoi has changed his to a cute pink version of this drawing, which he drew. (You can see his Twitter here.)

Then there are links to Hobonichi’s two new official EarthBound products this year, the Hobonichi Techo cover and the Mr. Saturn haramaki belly warmer.

Feel free to match Itoi on Twitter! And wish MOTHER 2 a happy birthday.

Man, 20 years later and the dude’s still doing stuff with MOTHER 2! If you want to say hi to him or wish him thanks, you can tweet at him here.

10 Comments to Shigesato Itoi Celebrates MOTHER 2’s 20th Anniversary

Anonymous said on Aug. 26, 2014

He completely forgot about MOTHER 1’s 25th anniversary though.

SPZ said on Aug. 27, 2014

Happy birthday, Mother 2! Love ya.

I was 17 years old when this game came out. Where has the time gone? Kinda weird that I’m listening to Corridors of Time as I type this.

Anonymous said on Aug. 27, 2014

Tomorrow, I’m going to play Mother 2 again, in honor of the games 20th anniversary

SPZ said on Aug. 27, 2014

Same here.

EdgeTheLucas said on Aug. 27, 2014

It’s nice that after all these years he still recognizes the game. Despite his many projects, Mother 2 must definitely have been one that stood out.

Chivi-chivik said on Aug. 27, 2014

This game’s epic and must never be forgotten ^w^

LucasPSI said on Aug. 27, 2014

It really does seem like he doesn’t care about Mother 1 or 3…

An E and two 8 said on Aug. 27, 2014

Happy B-Day, Mother 2.

Even though I haven’t played you as much as everyone on this page has (Only 2 times). You still gave me hours of fun filled with all the possible feelings: Happiness, Intrigue, excitement, and even a bit of fear.

I look forward to the next playthrough! 🙂

Anonymous said on Aug. 28, 2014

I wish Mother 2 was out already on the 3ds >.<

ChozoBoy said on Aug. 28, 2014

Does anybody have an image of the colored Mr. Saturn by Itoi?

Find Merchandise!