July 28th, 2014 | Events, MOTHER 1

Yesterday was the 25th anniversary of MOTHER 1’s release in Japan, and thus also the 25th anniversary of the start of the MOTHER series!

Fans celebrated in many different ways yesterday, including streaming various playthroughs of the games, posting memories, and doing lots of amazing art.

(by Zakeno on Tumblr)

I swear, it feels like just yesterday I put up this page for MOTHER’s 20th anniversary – the time is just zooming by!

I think MOTHER 2’s 20th anniversary is sometime next month, and EarthBound’s 20th anniversary is a little less than a year away. And MOTHER 3’s 10th anniversary is the year after that. Too many anniversaries!

Anyway, in the off-chance that you’re reading this and new-ish to the series, you can read some more about it all in a simplified guide I made here!

36 Comments to MOTHER Series’ 25th Anniversary

Mesousa said on Jul. 28, 2014

You should’ve mentioned Stephen’s semi-blind lp of Mother that he just started: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hzr9yYlyMuk

Also, ‘should’ve’ isn’t a word, apparently.

Mato said on Jul. 28, 2014

Yeah, I planned to make that a separate update, actually. I have lots of stuff to catch up with 8O

Leeaux said on Jul. 28, 2014

Well Mother Anniversary..

I certainly wish you were getting more Smash love right now. Or an English release. But you know, the former is far more likely.

2sang said on Jul. 28, 2014

I really like the gif whoever made it did a great job

Youkai said on Jul. 28, 2014

This, for some reason, reminded me of a question I’ve been wanting to know: has Itoi ever commented on Ness and Lucas being in Smash Bros.?

2Sang said on Jul. 28, 2014

@youkai not that I ever remember. Would be an interesting interview.

An E and two 8 said on Jul. 28, 2014

Happy Anniversary to all the long time fans out there! 25 years… Wow. Only three games, yet these games still keep the originality and freshness they had back in the day, awesome. :)

P.S: Pretty cool gif by the way, I like it. The drawing style reminds me a lot of Steven Universe, a show on Cartoon Network.

Toby said on Jul. 28, 2014

Its very well animated, but I don’t like how they drew the characters. It’s kind of ugly looking.

Still, gotta give props when necessary. Good job!

XavandSo said on Jul. 28, 2014

@2Sang
Mr. Saturn and the Franklin Badge has been confirmed to reappear, so I’m certain that Mother will have a bigger presence. Not to mention Ness is an original character, he’s not going anywhere. Lucas not so much.

That .gif is amazing. I can’t stop watching it.

Kobe said on Jul. 29, 2014

Hello there! I would like to make the good people here at EarthBound Central aware of the MOTHER 3 movement happening on Miiverse right now known as “Westbound”. On Miiverse is where we believe Nintendo listens to feedback considering the leverage they have; the poster must own a console. So please, if you have a Miiverse, report to General Hikari to help us with a gameplan. Thank you for your time if you have read this far!

2Sang said on Jul. 29, 2014

@An E and two 8

We meet again. I win with my avatar.

2Sang said on Jul. 29, 2014

@XavandSo
Did I sound like I doubted them? I’m certain at least ness will return and lucas will very likely return as well. A third character is very doubtful, but not necessarily out of the question.

Chivi-chivik said on Jul. 30, 2014

I need to make celebration pics for MOTHER and MOTHER 2’s anniversaries ASAP.

I don’t need to bother about EarthBound tho (that would be repetitive)…

DarklingDragon said on Aug. 1, 2014

Time sure does fly. I spent some time this week playing Earthbound on the virtual console.

MysterySprite22 said on Aug. 1, 2014

Wow. 25 years? That’s awesome! I had no idea the series was even around for that long(mainly because I only recently got into the series, and I’m only fifteen, so I surely wouldn’t know that.) I just recently bought a point card for my VC, so I’ll have to get Earthbound to celebrate.

This animation is adorable! I love the way Ninten and Lucas look. They remind me of a couple of the kids out of The Magic School Bus show. I have to give this a thumbs up.

Autistic Pichu said on Aug. 1, 2014

25 years huh? It’s been about seven years since I got into the series, although I never got to actually play the games for my self until about a year ago for two reasons:

1. EarthBound not being available on virtual console.

2. The other two games not being localized.

I wasn’t willing to use an emulator to play these games because I knew it was illegal. And this was also before I knew what a flash cart was.

Now that I’ve finally played these games for my self, I can finally say: “Happy Anniversary” to all MOTHER fans that exist MOTHER earth!

Lets hope for more great years to come! All to a little game made by a celebrity.

Reficul said on Aug. 5, 2014

I should really replay these games. I haven’t played EB0 since 2003, EarthBound since 2007, and Mother 3 since it first came out. Can’t really call myself much of an EarthBound fan if I don’t actually play the games. Then I’ll just be that one guy who played the games one time.

I’m kind of out of the loop, but now the recommended versions are, what? Mother 1 on GBA (using Mato’s patch), EarthBound, and Mother 3 with the 1.2 patch? All on VBA-M/SNES9x? Or are there better alternatives now?

Pirate199X said on Aug. 6, 2014

@Reficul You should really play all of the games on real hardware, it’ll be a better experience! If you own the original Japanese versions of Mother and Mother 3 then it’s legal and easy to get English repro carts, for the NES and GBA! And for EarthBound get ether an original copy or get on the WiiU Virtual console. (I also recommend getting the original guide too!)

George said on Aug. 8, 2014

Is there a download link for the gif?

An E and two 8 said on Aug. 9, 2014

@George

Right click on the image and then click on “Save image as..”

Raiden said on Aug. 12, 2014

@An E and two 8

You can’t save the image like that. At least it’s not letting me

Lukka said on Aug. 12, 2014

@Raiden

It’s working just fine for me on Nightly x64 version in Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Raiden said on Aug. 14, 2014

@Lukka I’m on windows 7 too. 64 bit. But i can’t get it. It’s not really a big deal but it would be cool to have.

Lukka said on Aug. 14, 2014

@Raiden

What is your web browser?
I just tested it with Pale Moon x64, Nightly x64, and Internet Explorer 11 and all were able to do so. IIRC, Chrome had a similar option in that you could drag the image to your desktop or copy the image url, paste in the url, and then save it via that way.

Screenshots:

IE: http://imgur.com/DPCxLwT
PaleMoon: http://imgur.com/c8oVMHw

Anonymous said on Aug. 14, 2014

@Lukka I have Internet Explorer. Not quite sure the version. I just right click the image and Save Picture as is faded and i can’t do it.

Raiden said on Aug. 14, 2014

@ Anonymous was me up there

Lukka said on Aug. 15, 2014

@Raiden
Huh, weird. Have you tried dragging and dropping the picture to your desktop? Otherwise, maybe it’s a security setting in IE or something.

ChrisHighwind said on Aug. 15, 2014

@Pirate199X While I can play Mother 1 and 3 on real GBA hardware (sort of, by using a DSTwo, an EZ-Flash 3-in-1 and GBA Exploader), I’m not so lucky with Earthbound due to being unable to afford an SNES or a Wii U, and Earthbound not being a Virtual Console game on the Wii.

WhyIE said on Aug. 15, 2014

@Raiden If you use IE, nothing will ever work. There are lots of great browsers. Try Firefox, the best all-round one, Chrome, if you don’t care about privacy, Midori if you want something lightweigh or Lynx if you’re hardcore. Just NOT IE!

Lukka said on Aug. 15, 2014

@WhyIE
But IE 9+ actually aren’t bad since microsoft started getting their crap together with it. It’s certainly not a terrible alternative on Windows at least.

MysterySprite22 said on Aug. 17, 2014

I may have only been into the series for a few months, but I love it as much as anyone who has enjoyed it their entire life. I’m planning on getting some merchandise to celebrate this. I’m not exactly sure what yet though. I’ll have to see if the price on the Ninten figure being sold on Amazon drops at all, but if not, I’ll have to exchange a Kohls card for an Amazon one, but I’m really exited for it. Well, um… I doubt anyone cares about that so… Happy late 25th Aniversery Mother! May your greatness shine on for days to come!

Raiden said on Aug. 18, 2014

@Lukka You’re probably not paying attention to this anymore, but I have tried dragging the picture. And I think I do have Firefox on this computer but I never use it.

Raiden said on Aug. 18, 2014

And dragging the pic didn’t work.

Raiden said on Aug. 18, 2014

Never Mind. I just got it to work!!!!

Lukka said on Aug. 18, 2014

@Raiden
Ha! Nice. Hopefully your issues with getting pictures are solved then.

Raiden said on Aug. 19, 2014

And what a stupid issue to have!lol