July 19th, 2014 | EarthBound

Marcus Lindblom has updated his project’s site with some more EarthBound memories and inside information!

groove

First up, he discusses a lot of the changes in the game, including the reasoning behind the bar-to-cafe change, the creation of the English Mr. Saturn font, those weird little extra lights on Dr. Andonuts’ lab, and more! Read his comments on these topics here!

groove

More recently, Marcus updated with some comments by Nico about EarthBound – as you’ll recall, Nico was Marcus’ daughter who was born during the game’s localization, and he included a neat little reference to her name in the game. She hadn’t really played EarthBound until now, though, so check out what she has to say here!

Marcus’s Kickstarter for his latest game project is still going, so if you’d like to learn more and possibly contribute to it, go here!

Thanks for sharing all this neat stuff with us, Marcus!

10 Comments to More Marcus Lindblom Inside Info EarthBound!

Scapetti said on Jul. 19, 2014

Interesting what he says about the lights on the lab, have you checked if they are in the Mother 2 Wii U release? Since there are some changes in that, it’s possible!

Mato said on Jul. 19, 2014

Yeah, we checked that when we did the live stream of Mother 2 on the Wii U – the lights were still the same as the original Super Famicom version. The lights are a mystery!

vince94 said on Jul. 19, 2014

I bet the Wii U release was just a straight ROM dump, they wouldn’t have been able to change any of the artwork without something like PK Hack.

Poe said on Jul. 19, 2014

Nico should cosplay herself XD

An E and two 8 said on Jul. 19, 2014

Pencil Eraser… Snap!, I didn’t noticed the joke there, Haha! Guess that happens if english isn’t your native language.

I like EarthBound’s graphic style as well, despite being simple it’s still colorful and quite detailed. I also think it fits well with the game’s envoirment: Happy and cheerful but yet weird and somewhat creepy.

And, good to know Nico is enjoying the game so far! I also kinda felt the same way as she felt when first playing it, I found the battle system being somewhat slow and boring. The only RPGs I ever cared about playing before EB were the Mario & Co.’s ones. You know, since in most of these you are able to avoid/block/power up an attack by pressing a button, it was a total bummer being unable to do the same here. That, alongside with the grinding, turned me off (What!? I need to be at least at level 8 to defeat Frank!? And all my party members start at level!?). Still, I kept playing the game and found it more and more interesting, until I ended up enjoying it. :)

I’ll keep waiting for more updates! (Hope Marcus gets to tell us the reason of why all the censorship was completely ignored during the final battle. :P)

Milo said on Jul. 19, 2014

You sly dog, Marcus totally calls you out for having an awesome site in that update! It’s so cool to have someone who helped make the game have a connection to the fans.

Alex said on Jul. 20, 2014

Interesting read about Nico feelings about playing earthbound and how she kept being reminded of her dad while playing it.

Magicxgame said on Jul. 20, 2014

It’s interesting that Nico’s experience is similar to mine. When I first started playing, I was a hardcore Square fan, and quickly put the game down sine I thought it was childish. I then picked it back up before I started college, and appreciated it a lot more.

I look forward to Marcus’ updates!

Signore Giovanni said on Jul. 21, 2014

Pfft, pretty sure an email to “From-M2-to-EB-and-Back-Again” about those lab lights and whatever other players guide / game incongruences I noticed, 15 years ago, marked my first actual involvement in the EarthBound community. Ridiculous.

I feel like loading up on some Fangamer merch to deck my own hall of memories now.

Opinionated Vector Chimera said on Jul. 24, 2014

I play games because I want to have fun. That’s the only reason. EarthBound didn’t teach me anything, nor did any other game in the series, but they are quirky, to say the least, so I definitely enjoyed them. That’s the important part. It’s cool to hear someone else’s thoughts on EarthBound, but in the end, I don’t care about it.