June 3rd, 2014 | MOTHER 3

A reader named David sent this in:

Hey mato! I’ve been playing my Mother 3 repro English cart lately (Yes I got 1 from ebay…) Anyways, besides that topic I noticed that one of the zombies you have to fight in Chapter 2 looks like Ness!
Here’s a picture of Ness

NessSprite

And here’s a picture of the zombie (The 1 in the middle)

35-28

It might be a coincidence or a reference. But I noticed the shirt, the ripped hat, and even the pants looks like a zombified version of Ness! Maybe fans already spotted it out but I don’t know…And the other zombie (the one in the red dress) Might be a Hinawa reference, but I don’t think it is…

But that was my news, and 1st post!

I actually think the girl one is supposed to resemble Paula… but to be honest I’m not really sure if these are just coincidences or not. If not, then man, there sure are a lot of dead Nesses in the world of MOTHER 3!

33 Comments to Ness Cameo in MOTHER 3?

Mike said on Jun. 3, 2014

I knew it!!!

Brendy! said on Jun. 3, 2014

I thought they were suppose to represent Clause and Hinawa o.o

XavandSo said on Jun. 3, 2014

Huh. I never noticed it in my play-throughs, but now it makes perfect sense. 8 years later and Mother 3 still unearths things. Or we were just clueless until now. Either way, interesting.

Eliskuya said on Jun. 3, 2014

I had the same thinking about those zombies, I was shocked yet clueless

Doppel said on Jun. 3, 2014

I’m with Brendy! on this one. They are supossed to represent Clause and Hinawa. The Claus one doesn’t even have a ripped hat, it’s just some red-orange hair. And I bet they were designed like that on pourpose to torment the player.

Scapetti said on Jun. 3, 2014

Oh, these references were pretty obvious to me. And.. being an artist myself I can tell you that there are no such thing as coincidences. Looks nothing like Claus and Hinawa. Definitely a reference to Earthbound and not something to think about too long either. They ARE just zombies, but they are wearing clothes from Earthbound, simply a joke/reference.

vince94 said on Jun. 3, 2014

No, that’s totally a Shirtness.

2sang said on Jun. 3, 2014

Yeah they definitely represent Claus and Hinawa. Paula doesn’t have a red dress and long hair like that.

delectabit said on Jun. 3, 2014

They’re supposed to represent Claus and Hinawa as zombies since they did kinda…die at the beginning of the game. I always thought that was kinda neat.

DusterxLucasFTW said on Jun. 3, 2014

Look at the zombie guys backwords sprite. That’s not a hat. It’s hair.

DusterxLucasFTW said on Jun. 3, 2014

That said I think it’s suppose to represent Claus and Hinawa.

SuperStarmen said on Jun. 3, 2014

Obviously just Claus and Hinawa. I understand why some would think it may be Ness but if you look at the zombie man backwords that is cleary hair, not a hat.

Tork_110 said on Jun. 3, 2014

That’s not the Zombie Lady! Everybody knows that the Zombie Lady looks like Venus.

357 said on Jun. 3, 2014

I always thought they were Ninten and Ana/Pippi.

EarthBoundRules said on Jun. 3, 2014

It’s Claus and Hinawa…

Minerali said on Jun. 3, 2014

What? That’s a hat? I thought it was red hair like Claus’

AConcernedGamer said on Jun. 3, 2014

Does Claus _actually_ die at the end of Chapter 1? I always thought that Claus was just barely alive when turned into the Masked Man because he turns back into Claus at the end of the game and speaks his final words to Lucas. If he was dead all along, I thought his spirit would leave his body just like Hinawa’s does, making the Masked Man truly and utterly soulless and unable to speak to Lucas.

FireflyMelody said on Jun. 3, 2014

…Whoa, that theory is both mind-blowing and genuine nightmare fuel.
Also, I went into my local EB Games today and saw on the computer thing the MOTHER logo-screen thing and that one song that I can’t place.
Actually, I think it may have been the Love Theme, but I don’t think so… Gah, what was it?!

n said on Jun. 3, 2014

Actually, a better argument for Ness is later in the game, the guy that runs the items cart that sells all of Ness’s favorite things? I can’t remember, it’s by where you fight the pig mask trooper.

Ronald said on Jun. 4, 2014

Did Chuggaconroy mention the resemblance in his Let’s Plays? OR perhaps someone in the comments remarked on nit?

sauce said on Jun. 4, 2014

i already noticed this when i first play MOTHER 3.

Christopher said on Jun. 4, 2014

The zombie girl looks a lot like Hinawa.

Arekou said on Jun. 4, 2014

You know what’s disturbing about the zombie girls? the fact that according to rumors one can spawn at hinawa’s grave or so they say, I’ve never seen it but can actually deny or confirm it?

Mato said on Jun. 5, 2014

Never seen it, I think it’s just one of those weird rumors people like to spread.

David said on Jun. 5, 2014

Well, I thought it was a reference…I might of been wrong. It can’t be Claus because he couldn’t be dead by Chapter 2. And the Hinawa reference is a possibility or something.

Hypotenuse Man said on Jun. 5, 2014

I think it’s supposed to resemble Claus and Hinawa without actually being them. At that point in the game, you know Hinawa’s dead, and you’re supposed to *think* Claus is. So it’s just another thing in the game that’s supposed to be unsettling, especially right off of the two supposed deaths in chapter one.

Flint Polestar said on Jun. 7, 2014

So it seems Alec it’s not Ness’s second name from MOTHER 2/EarthBound even in MOTHER 3,but oldman Photograph Fuzzy Pickles from NatureBound/EarthBound 2/MOTHER 3.

Oh Yeah? said on Jun. 9, 2014

Weird rumors? Well, that’s a way to be open minded…

hm said on Jun. 9, 2014

Actually, I think this is all way off the mark, and frankly, overthinking it.

the chances are MUCH more realistic that it’s simply the case of it being a nod, a tip of the hat, or a vague reference to the fact that the main character in the previous games either wore an iconic, striped shirt or had a baseball cap, so they threw a striped shirt and a baseball cap on a zombie for fun.

Also, a red dress for the female character is probably just due to the fact that it’s easily recognizable, simple and easy to tell what it is at a glance.

I absoutely do not think this is a “cameo” or is actually Ness or Hinawa, or any of these theories. Just a very small and simple easter egg of sorts.

While there is nothing inherently wrong with making these theories and such, of course, as fans of something are often apt to do that, I think a lot of them do come about because of exaggerating, or people liking to flesh out something that was never really intended. I honestly just think someone wanted to make a nod, or a reference to Earthbound when drawing the sprite, and someone, like maybe Itoi himself liked the idea and it stuck.

Mato said on Jun. 9, 2014

I agree, I think someone on the team was just having fun and that nothing was really intended or meant to be implied from their sprites.

Some Guy said on Jun. 10, 2014

Yeah, I think so too.

However, I always thought it was Hinawa and Claus. Did nobody else really notice that? Huh.

Even the color schemes match! :D

The Great Morgil said on Jun. 11, 2014

I always thought the middle zombie had red hair, not that it was a hat.

Bubba said on Jun. 25, 2014

its supposed to be claus and the girl is supposed to be hinawa