Pokey Means Business
A while back on Twitter, ChronoMoogle shared this scan of an old MOTHER 2 preview in an early 1993 issue of Hippon Super:
And here’s a quick translation of what it says:
Is Nintendo’s Eagerly-Awaited New Game Nearing a Release Date?
SFC MOTHER 2: Gyiyg’s Counterattack
*Nintendo *Release Date TBA *Price TBA
It’s been half a year since screenshots of MOTHER 2 were released. Many people are eagerly waiting for it, wondering when it’s going to hit store shelves. So we asked Nintendo about the game’s current development status.
“The current development status? Well, Mr. Itoi’s work is already complete. Programmer-level issues are all that remain now. Currently, it’s looking like it might be released in May or later, but there’s a chance it could be delayed even further.”
Interesting. It also sounds like some new details, along with a projected release date will be shared at the end of March. We’ll just have to wait for future updates.
(Caption) The main character rides a bicycle. What other kinds of vehicles will appear in the game?
MOTHER 2 had actually been in development for a long, long time, and it almost got cancelled at one point until Satoru Iwata took over the programming and saved the day.
This particular magazine piece was published in early 1993, which is about a year and a half before the game actually got released, so it was probably around this time that Iwata showed up to take over the programming duties.
In the screenshot itself we see Ness in Twoson, but this area of Twoson doesn’t seem to be in the final game. Some of the old beta screenshots often had Ness without a backpack, but it’s hard to tell from this scan if he has a backpack or not yet.
For more early screenshots and videos of MOTHER 2/EarthBound, check out the old previews here!
Other Related Posts:
5 Comments to Early MOTHER 2 Preview in Hippon Super
Leave a reply
Featured Item on eBay:
MOTHER2 mini figure with Stand DOSEISAN MR.SATURN Takara Japan
- something fuzzy: Definitely would’ve been interesting to see a 3D rendition of a Flying Man, but in the end it probably was a wise choice to...
- Supergamerk: I like how they put Earthbound, an RPG with a VERY slow beginning on a time limit. I’d be surprised if you could get to Starman...
- Ostricho: Jess is right, there was a portion with a Ness FP fighter. I remember seeing it, and rewinding to pause it at that screen. EarthBound...
- Boodledump: This is awesome!
- game4brains: GIVE ME THIS GAME AND A WII U RIGHT NOW!!!