May 22nd, 2014 | Fan Games

Cognitive Dissonance was an EarthBound-themed fan game made by otherhand a few years ago – and a super-duper enhanced version is coming out soon! Here’s a quick description of it:

In 198X, after the first defeat of the invaders, CogDis tells the story of a band of aliens who once protected the Apple of Enlightenment – a Mook, a Mr. Saturn, a Starman, and a UFO-piloting bug. They travel through space and time between the first two Mother games, interconnecting through their events through a focus on Giygas and his descent into madness.

And here’s the trailer for the upgraded version:

Whoa, that definitely looks upgraded over the original version. This 2.0 version will also feature a new soundtrack put together by a number of different people in the EarthBound community!

In fact, otherhand is still looking for more help with music and art, so if you’re interested in helping with this project, check out the forum thread here and the official site here!

26 Comments to Cognitive Dissonance 2.0 Trailer

Ostricho said on May. 22, 2014

This game looks to be an interesting prequel-sequel mesh. The four alien party is strangely charming. I like it!

Mrs. Saturn said on May. 22, 2014

I played this game and it was very enjoyable. Looking forward to the enhanced version!

N7Kopper said on May. 22, 2014

Never played it.
Guess I’ll wait for this version!

Andy said on May. 22, 2014

Reading the plot of the game I said to myself “That’s similar to my idea!”

Back in April of 2009 I sent an e-mail to Tomato with an idea for a Mother 4 game. I never heard from him, but he probably thought I knew about this game.

I still have the e-mail in my e-mail box. The very,very quick version is as follows:

“Basically my idea was to have a decedent of George have the very rare ability to PSI time warp and he was going to help set up the events of mother 1,2 and 3. During of which a lot of back story was to be given of characters we know little about. Like I wanted the Apple of Enlightment to come in place, see buzz-buzz before his journey to Ness and have the younger version of Poo’s master one of the heros”

Sorry to make a post more about me, but I’m excited to play this.

Chivi-chivik said on May. 22, 2014

But this new version also uses RPG Maker 2003?

It IS a super great improvement itself but, IMO, they could’ve used a newer RPG Maker version like XP, VX or VX Ace (Ruby programming would help a lot more than the plugins and other gimmicks that 2000/2003 use). Unless I’m wrong.

(This reminds me that I must review this game on RPGMaker.net O_O)

you are only crazy said on May. 22, 2014

I might play this new version, I did try to play this game but the gameplay wasn’t very good IMO…

otherhand said on May. 22, 2014

Thanks for the interest, everyone!
The combat is improved and rebalanced heavily, along with lots of new graphics, but the format hasn’t changed.

The forums link appears to be broken, here’s one that works :)

Chivi-chivik said on May. 23, 2014

But it is still for RPG Maker 2003?

EBisumaru said on May. 23, 2014

Chivi-chivik: The amount of redevelopment and retesting (and re-redevelopment and re-retesting and oh my god please make it stop) for switching engines would probably be so high as to make it nowhere near worth the effort.

‘Course, I don’t know for sure. But that’s my theory

Crav said on May. 23, 2014

That’s pretty accurate. It would involve completely starting from scratch and remaking the game, rather than upgrading it.

The other factor is that the plan was never to overhaul the game this much. If that had been the objective the whole time, otherhand might have considered it.
Instead, the project started out as just a little patch to the existing version to touch up a little art, fix a few bugs, and maybe rebalance a little.

But it took on a life of it’s own and kept getting bigger and evolving until it is what you see now.

Chivi-chivik said on May. 23, 2014

@EBisumaru @Crav
I know about that, but it’s okay.
I assumed it was still 2003 because of the trailer and because that was the original engine.

Anyway, I still like 2003 (and RPG Maker in general). Otherwise I wouldn’t be making my future games with it! XD

otherhand said on May. 23, 2014

You’ll be surprised with the kinds of things we were able to squeeze out of a relatively simple and ancient engine like that.

Chivi-chivik said on May. 23, 2014

@otherhand
I’m already surprised with all the stuff you’ve made in the first version. Not many people knows how to do that :D (To do that nowadays people prefer to use XP-VX-VX Ace, since Ruby makes the deed easier XD)

Chivi-chivik said on May. 23, 2014

@otherhand
(cont.)
I don’t make fun of them. I use VX Ace. I don’t think I would be able to use 2003 for my projects… XD

swirlygreencrab7642 said on May. 24, 2014

What do you play this on? It didn’t work on OpenEmu…

otherhand said on May. 24, 2014

Nothing, it’s its own program. You’re better off waiting for the new version, though!

Mr.Foppy42 said on May. 24, 2014

(Off-topicness): Er… ssb4 is coming out soon-ish, and I’m growing worried about Lucas. I was just wondering if you could show us what most Japanese people on the internet think about Lucas’s inclusion in ssbb?

joe411 said on May. 24, 2014

@Mr.Foppy42
Don’t worry, they are probably waiting to announce most of the characters at e3.

Mr.Foppy42 said on May. 25, 2014

@joe411 I don’t think most characters will be revealed at e3, but a good number of them will probably be. However, I’m still a bit worried about Lucas…
I also came up with a few ideas for him so that he has no more resemblance to a Ness clone, but I’ll reveal that later…
Sorry for being off-topic.

NecrosaroIII said on May. 26, 2014

I’ve always been turned off by this project. The title always seemed to me to be arbitrarily picked up from an Intro to Psychology textbook.

EBisumaru said on May. 27, 2014

You know what they say about a book, Necrosaurus Jr.

Don’t digest it fully all at once; chew the partially digested goop a few times

another doseisan said on May. 28, 2014

is this game accessible/compatible now for mac? if so can a link be provided, the game setting & premise look pretty cool!

AConcernedGamer said on May. 29, 2014

Cognitive Dissonance was made in RPG Maker 2003 (even the 2.0 version), which means that if 1 game is compatible with your operating system, they all are. The RPG Maker series were designed for Windows and have no official support for Linux, Macintosh, or anything else.

To play the games on Macintosh, you need a virtualization solution that can simulate a Windows environment, such as Parallels Desktop (commercial), VMWare (commercial), or VirtualBox (free) or you need to configure your computer to be dual-boot compatible so that you can select an operating system every time you boot your computer (you may need Boot Camp to make this possible).

Some Guy said on Jun. 10, 2014

Still pretty excited for this! ;)

TheAnalogKid said on Jun. 14, 2014

Holy crap, This game PLUS Mother 4?! My life in the near future will be absolutely filled with joy!

Midna said on Jun. 20, 2014

Man it’s nostalgic seeing my old “green cloud” tileset again.