May 3rd, 2014 | EarthBound, Videos

Everyone knows about this promo video for EarthBound that ran in stores back in the day:

But another one has recently emerged – one that I’ve never seen before! This one was apparently played on kiosks in stores too:

This is definitely an improvement over the first video, although with everything EarthBound has to offer it seems silly that they emphasize that it has “More than 40 weapons! And over 80 items!”

Still, it’s a neat look at some of the promotion the game got back in the 90s, so give it a look-see. And check out the promos for all the other stuff too, there’s so much nostalgia in there!

Thanks to Tyler for the tip!

15 Comments to Another EarthBound Promo Video Unearthed

gustr15 said on May. 3, 2014

24 MEG GAME!

vince94 said on May. 3, 2014

I love how in the Final Fantasy 3 part they named the characters Bond, Cheesy, Honey, Marcus…hey Marcus, is that you!?

vince94 said on May. 3, 2014

Again, silly emphasizing with “two worlds, fourteen characters, 50 magic spells!” I bet the announcers had a checklist of things to talk about or something.

Halloween said on May. 3, 2014

Powered by 24 megs! Battery backup! I love these commercials.

Linkdude said on May. 3, 2014

This announcer mispronounced Giygas too. :/

HpBoost said on May. 3, 2014

Oh jeez, I remember this one. I really don’t care for strawberry flavor – reminds me of having a dead party member.

Esper said on May. 3, 2014

Daawwe the Wario’s Woods advert.

LucasPSI said on May. 3, 2014

@Linkdude

According to Itoi, Giygas can be pronounced however anyone wants to pronounce it. It’s just a random word Itoi came up with.

Mato said on May. 3, 2014

That’s not true – the name Giygas isn’t even in the Japanese version. Here’s some more info on the pronunciation: http://earthboundcentral.com/2013/03/marcus-lindblom-spills-some-earthbound-secrets/

TheLonechallenger said on May. 3, 2014

I always wondered how Giygas was supposed to be pronounced. I found it intriguing both trailers pronounce it Guy-gas, I always wondered if it was supposed to be Gee-gas.

BusterTheFox said on May. 3, 2014

NessA? I wonder if all the character’s in this game are named Ness. NessB, NessC. Just to differentiate them.

All kidding aside, I don’t think these really portray the game very well. I didn’t see a single battle screen, and even in the first one we only ever saw an instant win. I would’ve seen that and thought, “That game looks way too easy, I’ll buy Final Fantasy instead”. Of course I never saw these ads, and I ended up playing the game as a kid anyway (I never played any Final Fantasy until I was a teenager). I rented it from Blockbuster or something (Those were the days, gotta love the late fees).

Kyosuke said on May. 4, 2014

This is it! This is the promo video I saw as a kid and got hooked on the game from! Finally reunited after all these years.

FireflyMelody said on May. 4, 2014

Wow! So _this_ is what the 90s had, huh?
Interesting! And kinda cool. Just from that, I’d probably have picked it up and played it~

ZUUL said on May. 4, 2014

I saw the second promo at a Toys R Us back in the day. It was in a display that had buttons with a game’s boxart on them. They played a trailer for that game when pressed. I admit, I didn’t get a good first impression of Earthbound from that trailer, but I later got the game for Christmas, and ended up enjoying it a lot.

Thank you for this trip down memory lane. It was great watching both trailers.

OneKnightStand said on May. 5, 2014

I’m guessing this is the promo NintendoCaprisun mentioned in his Earthbound lets play