MOTHER 1+2 Soundtrack Scans
The other day, AndyPerfect on TwitchTV got an interesting thing to happen during a run of EarthBound:
Hey guys! Some of you might remember me from several months ago when I posted a glitchless speedrun of Earthbound on here. Well, I’m still at this game trying to get better and better. Recently, I’ve started running a category called Any%, which entails beating the game as fast as possible using any and all glitches available. The “Any%” run for Earthbound is about 1/3 as long (around 1.5 hours) as a glitchless run. I’ve been practicing a lot of the glitches required for the run recently and came across this odd one which causes the game to effectively lock up requiring a reset.
To give you some background about what led up to this: There’s a way to clip out of bounds in Earthbound. Because all of the maps are connected under the hood, you can effectively walk anywhere you’d like in the entire game. I clip out of bounds to Magicant and end up beating Ness’s nightmare with Ness, Paula, a dead Jeff, and two backup flying men (you can get multiple flying men when you have multiple characters in Magicant). After you defeat Ness’s nightmare, you end up back in the real world with all four of your characters, two flying men still there, and, in my case, a teddy bear that I forgot to get rid of. Apparently the game doesn’t like you having 7 sprites walking around and the game never expects you to be able to have that many. As a result, Poo refuses to join the group and just wanders off screen, locking the game up. I’ve been unable to find video documentation of this glitch anywhere online so I thought I’d share with you guys.
And here’s a video of it happening:
Watch live video from AndyPerfect on TwitchTV
Of course, I’m not sure if this is possible in an actual, normal run – I don’t think you can get two Flying Men at once, for example. But I wonder if it’s possible to cause it to happen some other way.
As for where Poo’s going in this video, my hunch as a programmer and EarthBound hacker is that he’s heading to coordinates (0,0) from the current location – and checking the map of maps, that seems to be the case:
If anyone has more info or any ideas on how to make this happen in a normal game, please share your knowledge!
Other Related Posts:
17 Comments to The Running Poo Glitch
Featured Item on eBay:
Earthbound (Super Nintendo, SNES RPG) Cart Only - Tested
- BreakinBenny: @game4brains Are you surprised the GBA games sound much better when their sounds are extracted through GBAMusRiper? I think...
- Iw: Hyperstar, I looked up the trophy in question you keep talking about when it comes to a “love interest”. If it’s the same one...
- Anonymous: Are you sure this wouldn’t be a great opportunity to rally the troops to put together a nice definitive localization of the Mother...
- Anonymous: Hyperstar96, incredibly literal interpretation of language is detrimental. Stop derailing conversation with it.
- Leeaux: @Hyperstar96 You completely missed the point I was making by focusing on a small mistake that I already corrected.