Itoi Has an EarthBound Ruler
Shigesato Itoi’s company’s biggest success is its planners, and one of the many features these planners have is a daily-or-so quote, usually from an interview or something.
Anyway, the other day featured a quote from Itoi talking about MOTHER games!
Mother’s protagonist is just an average kid, so fleshing out his enemies and the opposition was important in making him a great hero. If his surroundings were fuzzy it would just be like, “Oh, he won. The end.” So I really needed a fantastic villain. I surrounded the protagonist with things so nasty and weird that people would go, “How could you think of that?” Then his character really jumped out.
Sometimes Itoi uses the word “Mother” to refer to the entire series (and sometimes Mother 2) rather than the first game specifically, so it’s possible he’s talking about more than just one game here. In any case, it’s a rare look at his process for creating a game world and villains!
Other Related Posts:
15 Comments to How Itoi Developed His Villains
Leave a reply
- Mallowack: he’s right you know. the game’s a slog to start, it was designed to be simple (drawn by a child), it throws the creepy at...
- N7Kopper: @WVdUde Movements and treaties for a videogame series release worldwide? Sorry if I’m raining on people’s parades here, but I...
- Chivi-chivik: I need to make celebration pics for MOTHER and MOTHER 2′s anniversaries ASAP. I don’t need to bother about EarthBound tho...
- dumball92: I hope this gets released soon!!!
- WVdUde: Yeah, the movement has moved on to the Earthbound US community now, and a treaty has been made with the people who was trolling. Expect...