Mini-Update Megathon #3
Shigesato Itoi’s company’s biggest success is its planners, and one of the many features these planners have is a daily-or-so quote, usually from an interview or something.
Anyway, the other day featured a quote from Itoi talking about MOTHER games!
Mother’s protagonist is just an average kid, so fleshing out his enemies and the opposition was important in making him a great hero. If his surroundings were fuzzy it would just be like, “Oh, he won. The end.” So I really needed a fantastic villain. I surrounded the protagonist with things so nasty and weird that people would go, “How could you think of that?” Then his character really jumped out.
Sometimes Itoi uses the word “Mother” to refer to the entire series (and sometimes Mother 2) rather than the first game specifically, so it’s possible he’s talking about more than just one game here. In any case, it’s a rare look at his process for creating a game world and villains!
Other Related Posts:
15 Comments to How Itoi Developed His Villains
Featured Item on eBay:
Earthbound SNES Game cartridge and Strategy Guide/Instruction Manual
- Arthur: I’ve found this interesting interview of Miyamoto talking about Mother 3 64… This has already been posted, right?...
- Macreen: Selling his belongings just to piss him off. Wow, what a asshole.
- Traiver: @GSUser I’m actually planning for an Arabic translation for Mother 3, I even prepared a Mr. Saturn font (but I’m still trying...
- Kevin Claus: Hah nice! I got a mention on the show! The story is more or less true. I wanted to attend the entire weekend, then I was asked to be a...
- New Pork City in Angry Birds 2: I got Angry Birds 2, and New Pork City makes a special appearance as a level pack!