EarthBound & ModNation Racers
Shigesato Itoi’s company’s biggest success is its planners, and one of the many features these planners have is a daily-or-so quote, usually from an interview or something.
Anyway, the other day featured a quote from Itoi talking about MOTHER games!
Mother’s protagonist is just an average kid, so fleshing out his enemies and the opposition was important in making him a great hero. If his surroundings were fuzzy it would just be like, “Oh, he won. The end.” So I really needed a fantastic villain. I surrounded the protagonist with things so nasty and weird that people would go, “How could you think of that?” Then his character really jumped out.
Sometimes Itoi uses the word “Mother” to refer to the entire series (and sometimes Mother 2) rather than the first game specifically, so it’s possible he’s talking about more than just one game here. In any case, it’s a rare look at his process for creating a game world and villains!
Other Related Posts:
15 Comments to How Itoi Developed His Villains
Featured Item on eBay:
Mother 1 2 3 Earthbound Courage Badge Keychain (Franklin Badge) Antique Bronze
- breeman: AH why did I see this too late to get the Red Vinyl!? Pledged for the White Vinyl. I recently started collecting and listening to Vinyl...
- Thisislame: I love mother/earthbound and always will support their projects. This album is not supposed to be on vinyl. It’s gonna sound...
- J: I actually really liked this game. The look and style are very earthbound inspired, and there are a ton of references, but the game stands up...
- DarklingDragon: That’s pretty cool. I’d get one if I had a vinyl player.
- LucasTizma: I got the money and I got the desire. So why not?