EarthBound Pogs for Sale!
Shigesato Itoi’s company’s biggest success is its planners, and one of the many features these planners have is a daily-or-so quote, usually from an interview or something.
Anyway, the other day featured a quote from Itoi talking about MOTHER games!
Mother’s protagonist is just an average kid, so fleshing out his enemies and the opposition was important in making him a great hero. If his surroundings were fuzzy it would just be like, “Oh, he won. The end.” So I really needed a fantastic villain. I surrounded the protagonist with things so nasty and weird that people would go, “How could you think of that?” Then his character really jumped out.
Sometimes Itoi uses the word “Mother” to refer to the entire series (and sometimes Mother 2) rather than the first game specifically, so it’s possible he’s talking about more than just one game here. In any case, it’s a rare look at his process for creating a game world and villains!
Other Related Posts:
15 Comments to How Itoi Developed His Villains
Featured Item on eBay:
ITOI SHIGESATO BASS FISHING NO.1 Super Famicom Import JAPAN Game no inst bcn sf
- Corey: @EBisumaru Magicant is the best stage in Smash 3DS.
- anon: I hope they add a 3D flying man to the game somehow, even as a trophy. It’s really cool to see Earthbound characters that were only...
- Mato: (After removing a number of comments) Okay, this is turning into a silly argument that’s unrelated to the topic at hand, so I’ll...
- JRokujuushi: Did three people seriously criticize his use of “it’s” when it was used correctly? If we substitute the words in...
- wvlfpvp: NekoKnight: It’s a username. Spelling is how you freaking want it to be. I replaced vowels with the consonant “v”...