EarthBound Names Ahoy
Shigesato Itoi’s company’s biggest success is its planners, and one of the many features these planners have is a daily-or-so quote, usually from an interview or something.
Anyway, the other day featured a quote from Itoi talking about MOTHER games!
Mother’s protagonist is just an average kid, so fleshing out his enemies and the opposition was important in making him a great hero. If his surroundings were fuzzy it would just be like, “Oh, he won. The end.” So I really needed a fantastic villain. I surrounded the protagonist with things so nasty and weird that people would go, “How could you think of that?” Then his character really jumped out.
Sometimes Itoi uses the word “Mother” to refer to the entire series (and sometimes Mother 2) rather than the first game specifically, so it’s possible he’s talking about more than just one game here. In any case, it’s a rare look at his process for creating a game world and villains!
Other Related Posts:
15 Comments to How Itoi Developed His Villains
- Mato: Lucas: He was responding to a tweet that someone auto-translated from English to Japanese. The Japanese text was mostly nonsense but sounded...
- Alex Dyson: @CRefice, well… The uploader was one of my friends from a couple of years ago, his name’s Ryan Ramos. I remember him...
- CRefice: @Alex Dyson He’s probably talking about the mother 3 tcrf page. Although I agree, that does not mean anything, since that music...
- Alex Dyson: @snifit How can there be a TCRF page, if the proto still has yet to be found?
- Lucas: Shogo Sakai said that only earthbound 64 ost CD so maybe it’s only mother 3i+ or some sort of scam.