April 23rd, 2014 | EarthBound, Interviews, Itoi, MOTHER 1

Shigesato Itoi’s company’s biggest success is its planners, and one of the many features these planners have is a daily-or-so quote, usually from an interview or something.

Anyway, the other day featured a quote from Itoi talking about MOTHER games!

itoimother

Mother’s protagonist is just an average kid, so fleshing out his enemies and the opposition was important in making him a great hero. If his surroundings were fuzzy it would just be like, “Oh, he won. The end.” So I really needed a fantastic villain. I surrounded the protagonist with things so nasty and weird that people would go, “How could you think of that?” Then his character really jumped out.

Sometimes Itoi uses the word “Mother” to refer to the entire series (and sometimes Mother 2) rather than the first game specifically, so it’s possible he’s talking about more than just one game here. In any case, it’s a rare look at his process for creating a game world and villains!

15 Comments to How Itoi Developed His Villains

Mike said on Apr. 23, 2014

wow, this is cool. once again, Itoi surprises us

DarklingDragon said on Apr. 23, 2014

I saw that quote on my planner the other day. I thought that was quite interesting.

FireflyMelody said on Apr. 23, 2014

I like that idea, actually. Plus, I love the games. So that’s how he thought up the villains? I’m quite impressed.
And now I drop all formality and translate the statement: Awesome! Love the series. That’s how he got the ideas? Awesome!

BusterTheFox said on Apr. 23, 2014

Am I the only one who immediately thought he was talking about Mother 3? I didn’t even think about the other ones until Mato mentioned it and then re-read it and noticed he never said “Lucas” or “3”. But it fits the best in the context of Mother 3, IMO. There’s weird stuff in the NES game, and some equally weird(er) stuff in EB, but the part about surrounding him with “nasty stuff” only reminds me of Mother 3.

FireflyMelody said on Apr. 23, 2014

Agreed.
Although Slimy Little Piles could possibly qualify… Ore the Plague Rat of Doom…
Still fits best with M3.

Esper said on Apr. 23, 2014

Mother 2 actually popped into my head first. Pokey, Giygas, Starmen, and all the sanctuary bosses are so memorable.

Anonymous said on Apr. 24, 2014

Itoi is awesome, thats pretty cool.

Now wouldn’t it be cool if they remade all the Mother games into one collection and released it globally on 3ds?

I can dream..

Anonymous said on Apr. 24, 2014

I wonder if they were remade wed see what the original final battle in Mother 3 would be like..

Anyways ahem, Mother 3 came into mind first on this, like those trees that just decided to walk to you? Or all those freaking chimeras.. (Looking at you horsantula) i meam chilly dogs? Love walkers? What an imagination this guy has!

Chivi-chivik said on Apr. 24, 2014

Actually that’s a GREAT idea if you’re thinking of making a story/game with battles and/or enemies. Making villains that way results in that: making the hero stand out way more than usual, because of the HIGH CONTRAST. Also, it’s uncommon.
And not many people knows that…

PS: I thought of MOTHER 2 first XD

FireflyMelody said on Apr. 24, 2014

Yeah, I thought of M2 first, too. ^.^
As for M3 enemies, I personally like Cleocatra. Then again, I’ve always been a cat-lover, and I love Egyptian mythology.

EBisumaru said on Apr. 24, 2014

I am Ear Bound

Animegame97 said on Apr. 24, 2014

Whenever I see something about Mother from Itoi I always think of 2 because it doesn’t seem like he talks about the others much and all the new merchandise features Mother 2. My favorite is Mother 3 though.

LucasPSI said on Apr. 25, 2014

I thought of Mother 3 first due to al the chimeras.

Anonymous said on Apr. 25, 2014

Im with Animegame, its as if all he talks about it Mother2. Although call em crazy but i think hes talking about Mother1. He did only say “Mother’s protagonist is just an average kid” afterall.

Mr. Tenda said on Apr. 26, 2014

It says it’s a quote from “Why is Animal Crossing So Fun?” Hm… That must be a really interesting article.